Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #1
rvwonderful

What is the insulation number for roof, floor and side walls?

What is the insulation number for roof, floor and side walls for keystone? They are not mentioned in keystone floorplan specification. Grand design lists them clearly for each floorplan, like roof/floor: 30/40, side walls: 9. Do not know why side walls has only 9 insulation number. Is keystone insulation good?
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Insulation has higher R values the thicker it is. When you use sheets of bonded styrofoam that is less than an inch thick, the R9 value may be overstated. Some of the areas in my old camper have spun fiberglass such as the slide and ceiling. Doubt this has a whole lot of insulating value. I think the companies that put ludicrous R values on the sales brochures and websites are just marketing. If you have ever hung insulation on walls or in a crawl space/attic you will get an idea how thick insulation needs to be to achieve a specific R value. Keystone makes similar claims on its marketing material. Google "keystone cougar insulation values" and you will be able to get to .pdf files with claimed values. Do the same for Laredo or any line you are interested in. I think most all of these values are exaggerated.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

George hit the nail on the head. I'd only add that the walls R value get reduced by the non insulating values of the windows and doors. When comparing R values in campers there's very little difference in one brand to another.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've not taken the time to find all of them (insulation packages will vary by model generally) but I've attached a link that will give most of them for a Montana. In my research earlier this year between GD and Keystone there was virtually no difference between the 2 (I consider a difference of 1 or 2 insignificant). Remember that GD started with 3 ex Keystone execs and are almost clones.

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...-in-a-montana/
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Nearly zero or practically nothing sounds close.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

R values in walls can be affected by number of windows and size. Also there are dual pane windows in some lines.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
dblanch57

I camp every year in Minnesota during November deer hunting. I installed a dedicated power plug for an electric heater so I can run two of them. The heat loss is at the windows. We have to cover a couple windows in key locations (over beds) in order to keep the trailer warm. We have had temps near zero many times and we can keep the trailer warm. Of course it is winterized before I go, so running water and showers are outdoors. Bathrooms too.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
travelin texans

Don't fall for any brands sales gimmicks such as Polar, Artic, 4 Season, Extreme packages, most ALL rv are built exactly alike, you'll be very comfortable 2 seasons a year & will suffer in extreme heat & cold regardless of what R value they may advertise.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
BrooksFam

IDK about TT's, but some RV cold weather packages include basement heating and double paned windows.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
What is the insulation number for roof, floor and side walls for keystone? They are not mentioned in keystone floorplan specification. Grand design lists them clearly for each floorplan, like roof/floor: 30/40, side walls: 9. Do not know why side walls has only 9 insulation number. Is keystone insulation good?
Walls always have a lower insulation number than roofs, even in houses. Heat goes up, not so much sideways.

You may find the photos in this post interesting. How much of the insulation was relocated by the mouse, and how much was just never there to start with? I have no way of saying. But if you have your Keystone rig already (or have a really tolerant salesman), you can remove this cowl yourself with only four screws and see what you think of the insulation revealed.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Walls always have a lower insulation number than roofs, even in houses. Heat goes up, not so much sideways.

You may find the photos in this post interesting. How much of the insulation was relocated by the mouse, and how much was just never there to start with? I have no way of saying. But if you have your Keystone rig already (or have a really tolerant salesman), you can remove this cowl yourself with only four screws and see what you think of the insulation revealed.

I put an electrical receptacle on the rear of my camper to plug my microwave into a 110V outlet on a pedestal. There was almost no insulation in the cabinet walls along the rear (kitchen) in my camper. I relocated the electrical outlet into the sidewall of my slide when I removed the booth and there was a little wispy cotton candy in the sidewall. I would put the insulating value at next to none from the insulation in sidewalls or slide.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, roof