Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
CV66

White Gate Valve

New guy question here! So we purchased a 2020 366RDS Cougar over the winter. Today I was crawling under under and around it getting more familiar with what it’s got to offer. I found a with gate valve that points straight down to the ground...no fittings for hose connection. My assumption is that this is to dump the fresh water tank? Never seen one before so I wanted to see if you were familiar with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A676C3-0530-4750-8201-1534C1BBE879.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	27104  
CV66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Logan X

That looks like the fresh water tank dump to me. I wish mine were that big. I have a 1/2 drain line which takes forever to drain the tank.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
tech740

Yup that should be a fresh water drain. That is the same setup I have. Its great when you pull that valve it empties FAST. 1.5" column of water. Just watch your feet and expect runoff the ground wont take in water near that fast. I learned the hard way in sandals.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
CV66

Perfect! I’m used to the small low point drains for everything. Which leads to my next question. What was Keystone thinking when they put the low point drains so far under the unit that I have to crawl under there to open them then try rushing out of the way when they start flowing? I’m gonna have to find a couple butterfly valves to screw on those ends. Possibly extend them out so I don’t have to crawl under the unit to open them.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV66 View Post
Perfect! I’m used to the small low point drains for everything. Which leads to my next question. What was Keystone thinking when they put the low point drains so far under the unit that I have to crawl under there to open them then try rushing out of the way when they start flowing? I’m gonna have to find a couple butterfly valves to screw on those ends. Possibly extend them out so I don’t have to crawl under the unit to open them.

Thanks for your replies.
I'm guessing the low point drains match up with the low point of the water lines. You could add am elbow or 45 to the drain line and point it away from where you have to lay.
Draining the low point drains it typically a once a season operation, twice if you drain the pink juice out in the spring.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
CV66

I’ve always drained my low points after each trip. Guess it just never dawned on me to do it any other way. But they’ve been more accessible on my past campers as well.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV66 View Post
I’ve always drained my low points after each trip. Guess it just never dawned on me to do it any other way. But they’ve been more accessible on my past campers as well.
From what I've seen most folks don't drain the low points every use. I'll drain mt water heater and my fresh water tank if I'm not going to use it for several weeks. The low point drains only upon winterizing to prevent freezing and when de-winterizing to remove the antifreeze.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Garfman

Or you can use a five gallon pail to catch the run off. Especially if you use antifreeze and have dogs around.
Garfman is offline   Reply With Quote