Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
GarryWolfe

Cheap rear view camera idea [Tech Heavy]

After watching a YouTube video of someone else's cheap rear-view set up utilizing a Bluetooth transmitter, I got an idea myself and wonder if anyone else has already tried it. If it works, other than the smartphone that everyone already has, it'd be a $50 investment for a system that would normally go for over $300. Personally, I can't justify $300+ for a camera system, but if I can get the functionality for $50...it might be worth it.

Recently, the company Wyze released a version of their camera firmware that supports RTSP streaming. I already have a Wyze camera for my 3D printer so that is one expense I don't need to incur.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus with VLC video software (free) that supports viewing RTSP streams.

The only thing I don't have is a spare wireless router/access point, but one can be had for about $25 on Amazon.

My idea is to set up a wireless access point in the camper and attach both the RTSP streaming camera and my iPhone to the resulting wireless network, creating an essentially wireless camera set up streaming the camera set up in the back window of my rig to the iPhone in my truck. Theoretically, this will work...its not a question of "will it" as much as "how well". Has anyone tried something similar? Curious to hear your feedback.
GarryWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
mfifield01

The biggest concern I would have is with lag time to the phone. I would test lag time.

A few years ago, I had a friend connect his iPhone to a GoPro directly through bluetooth. The delay was too much. I think he tried it as a backup camera on his truck and hit the ball on receiver before he knew it.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
GarryWolfe

Yeah, Bluetooth is quite a bit slower. That was the thinking behind using WiFi. Something to keep in mind for sure.
GarryWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
Bisjoe

I just installed a wi-fi camera that I got for $79 on Amazon, and it works great with my iphone or ipad. Good clear picture and has a button to turn off the guide lines which I don't need for rear-view trailer use.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
I just installed a wi-fi camera that I got for $79 on Amazon, and it works great with my iphone or ipad. Good clear picture and has a button to turn off the guide lines which I don't need for rear-view trailer use.
Which one? I've looked at some, but the total distance could be an issue.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
gkainz

I tried FaceTime between my personal and work iPhones to test backing up to the trailer coupler. The lag was annoying.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Bisjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Which one? I've looked at some, but the total distance could be an issue.

This one is supposed to be good up to 50' with no delay, our trailer is 25' and it never dropped off on our 90 minute trip. I did remove the metal mounting frame and made a new one to fit better on the inside window ledge with velcro. As it comes, it's suitable for outside installation.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Last...9597551&sr=8-3

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote