Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
Eightball

303tg

I pull a 2012 303TG with a 2010 Tahoe with tow package, and a distribution hitch... I am at my max... But comforable driving... Im the one going 65 on the interstate not barrelling down it at 80. Mostly do local campng, but take some long distnce trips a couple times a year. So far no odd wear or tare on TV.

If a bigger truck showed up in my driveway one day would I use it instead? Hellz yes, but until then Im the 30 year old slow poke. Lots of good advice all over the board. Campers are getting lighter and bigger every day, along with TV. Drive what you are comfortable with, but keep in mind the car next to you might be me and my 2 year old daughter, so drive safely and with in your limits...

JM2C
Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #22
Laredo291OH

Hi eightball,

Could you answer some questions for me? I see you pull a 303TG with a 2010 Tahoe. What type of distribution hitch are you using? Do you have any problems with sway? I'm pulling a 291TG (slightly smaller and lighter than your 303TG) with a 2009 Yukon and having problems with sway. The dry weight of the 291TG is 6500 with a gross of 8200 which is the exact tow rating of the Yukon. I have changed the tires from the original P series to Michelin LTs, I now use a Reese Dual Cam but I still get sway, sometimes. I believe I have the hitch setup correctly because the front and rear measurements are almost identical after I'm hitched. It doesn't take much wind for the sway to start, so I'm just curious if you experience any sway.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
Bob Landry

In most cases, it's not the TV that makes for an unconfortable trip. It's an improperly setup hitch or an improperly loaded trailer. I'm towing a 2010 Outback 277RL, around 8K loaded, with a 2011 Tundra, 5.7L, Tow Package, Reese Dual Cam, and have zero issues. I'm within the specs on the truck, I have a properly setup WD and anti-sway, and I'm as safe and maybe safer than the guy who is pulling a 14K fiver with a single wheelbase 1 ton. I pull all day at 2000 RPM and am usually enjoying a cup of coffee the entire time. I get up the mountain, down the mountain, and can stop at the bottom. It doesn't get much better than that unless you want to be the first one to the top. I don't. If you are having problems towing a trailer that is within the tow ratings for your truck, then you have an improperly setup hitch. You probably didn't bother to learn how to set one up and depended on the dealer, who usually knows less than you do about hitches, or read something that someone parroted because they read it on the Internet and took it as gospel, even though they have never had a wrench in their hand, and now every trip is a nightmare for you and the answer is a bigger truck. It's not the fault of the truck or the trailer. There are a couple of great stickies on RV.Net relating to WD hitchs, how they work, and how to set them up. They should be required reading for anyone who tows. If after reading those, you still can't figure out how to set it up, maybe you need to just trade your rig in on a bass boat and call it good.
I'm not going to sit here and tout the merits(or shortfalls) of any 1/2 ton truck on the road. I will say that mine is set up correctly, and every towing experience is a good one. If you do not feel the same, then you need to evaluate your setup. If your truck is rated to tow 10K and you are having trouble with an 8K trailer, something isn't right and you may or may not be a hazard to yourself and/or others on the road, but don't assume because I tow with a 1/2 ton truck, that I fit the same classification. I cringe when I read a post where a guy says, his rig wasn't towing right and he tweaked the WD a link and now it does a lot better. Those are the guys we need to stay away from on the road, not the ones who know their rig stem to stern and have set it up accordingly. <Rant Off>
Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
There are a couple of great stickies on RV.Net relating to WD hitchs, how they work, and how to set them up. They should be required reading for anyone who tows. If after reading those, you still can't figure out how to set it up, maybe you need to just trade your rig in on a bass boat and call it good.<Rant Off>
Amen, Bob!

And, just to add one small thing, on rv.net, find the Reese WD & DC writeup by a user named JohnB. I know him personally. He's an engineer who understands towing systems probably better than anyone I've ever known. His information can be trusted.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Eightball

Cool Neuman792

Neuman792,
I use a E2 hitch rated for 10K pounds. It came with my old camper a forest river V Nose. Works awesome with my Laredo. Yes I get sway at times, but seldom. This is what I have noticed....

1. I live in SoDak, there is typically wind, I only notice the wind coming out of wind rows on County Roads... " The sudden gust"
2. I get sway when I pick up my speed pushing 70 to 75... also depends on weather and road conditions.
3. It depends what County im driving in, and the up keep on their roads. Some roads are good some are crap... crap roads I can get sway on...
4. If your running loaded with water the sway could be from the water sloshing around. If you hit curvies this can happen.

My tires are Good Year Wrangler HP... don't know if they are good tires or not, came with the Tahoe when I bought it. Have not had problems, so no need to switch. I do believe in a good set of tires though, I am due to replace this spring. I am also kinda OCD about brakes and alignment too. But that comes from me being a County Mounty, and traveling at high rates of speeds on crap roads.

So in a long answer yes I do get sway at times, but I can control it by slowing down, or hitting a differnt road. Would these things switch with a differnt TV... no clue... Im just a cop who enjoys camping with his family on weekends off, not getting yelled at, spit at, bodily fluids flung at, or going rounds with.

To me the worst day of camping or towing is still better than the best day at the office...

And yes I enjoy conflict, love coffee, and donuts are pretty swell, but will take peanutbutter and jelly over them....
Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
f6bits

Dang! Sloshing water. That must have been what was bugging me last weekend. My rear-mounted grey and black tanks were more than half way full when I felt firmer than usual bobbing from the trailer. The return trip with my empty rear tanks was pretty smooth.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
Scubasteve

291tg

I understand the idea of getting a 3/4 truck if your towing long distances but a 1/2 ton is perfectly acceptable to tow a 8000lbs trailer. We have a 2011 291tg that I towed with my dads 2010 f150 5.4 rated at 8200lbs. We used this several times last year and it worked great. Lots of pwer, no sway, very comfortable with my wife, 2 young boys and the dog. That's highway and rural driving. Because it worked so well I went and bought a 2011 f150 supercrew lariat ecoboost with the Max tow rated at 11200. I would agree with others on here though that if your hitch isn't set up properly it doesn't matter what truck you have. I currently have a Husky WDH with friction sway control and may upgrade to a equalizer just for a greater margin.
2005 Outback 28bhs
1982 Corsair RV
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Bryishre

We have a 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 and Pull a 2012 Laredo 303tg Have the equalizer. Got air bags havent installed them yet. Im one of those its got to be level going down the road type of guy. lol
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Well folfs in a few months I can answer this question. Last year we purchased a 2012 Laredo 303 tg and used our 09 F 150 King Ranch to tow. My DW was in a bad accident and totaled her ride so I took the opportunity and replaced it with a 2010 F250 diesel 4 x 4. Its a super cab with a long bed so it has a longer wheel base, E rated tires, and a 6.4 diesel under the hood.
Can't wait for the first camping trip to see how it tows but living in Maryland it will be a few weeks before the season and the campgrounds open. Will post my thoughts and observations when I return and hopefully wipe the smile smile from my face.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
mysdak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryishre View Post
We have a 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 and Pull a 2012 Laredo 303tg Have the equalizer. Got air bags havent installed them yet. Im one of those its got to be level going down the road type of guy. lol

Hitch and air bags makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned. A half ton can handle most jobs if you equalized the weight properly and take some load off the rear suspension.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
jje1960

Sage advise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTS1470 View Post
Wouldn't do it. I have a 2010 keystone Laredo 29bhs with a dry weight of 6200lbs. I'm towing with a 2000 ford f150 5.4 with a tow rating of 7800. What a nightmare. talk about white knuckles and sweats. Lot of sag, sway and bounce. I have weight dist and sway but still not so good. I've started breaking things on the truck and already had to replace brakes. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new truck. Hopefully a 3/4 diesel, mabye a gmc or chevy 2500.
Reading is learning is believing... I've had many 'learning' experiences with previous units... Don't push it, go bigger...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
jje1960

Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I pull a 2012 303TG with a 2010 Tahoe with tow package, and a distribution hitch... I am at my max... But comforable driving... Im the one going 65 on the interstate not barrelling down it at 80. Mostly do local campng, but take some long distnce trips a couple times a year. So far no odd wear or tare on TV.

If a bigger truck showed up in my driveway one day would I use it instead? Hellz yes, but until then Im the 30 year old slow poke. Lots of good advice all over the board. Campers are getting lighter and bigger every day, along with TV. Drive what you are comfortable with, but keep in mind the car next to you might be me and my 2 year old daughter, so drive safely and with in your limits...

JM2C
I'd be going 55 if I was pushing the limits.... Just me though.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #33
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Amen, Bob!

And, just to add one small thing, on rv.net, find the Reese WD & DC writeup by a user named JohnB. I know him personally. He's an engineer who understands towing systems probably better than anyone I've ever known. His information can be trusted.
I agree. Both John Barca and Ron Gratz are extremely knowledgeble about hitches and how to set them up. If you post a towing/hitch question on RV.NET, you will probably get a response from one of them, and they will hang with you until you get it right. If after that, every tow is a white-knuckle drive, then I revert back to my original statement that you might be better off with a bass boat.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #34
tribalsimba

I towed my 2011 303TG (#7400 dry) last summer about 1500 miles with my 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L/3.73 (LT-E Tires). Talk about loaded, before I even hitched, I had a full bed of toys and wood for every trip and I have a Leer Fiberglass Cap (to keep it all dry).

Then I mate to the 303TG bohemouth using an Equalizer 12k lbs (NOT the 8k) WD/Sway hitch and off we go.

It shifts alot across the Appalachian mountain hills of Central PA on I-80 and SR-322, but at about 60-65; it's not that often.

I don't recall any sway; even induced by Tractor Trailers; or cross winds. I do recall a few moments of bounce in the interstate concrete sections where the relief seams are rythmic.

But otherwise I have to give it up for my truck. It does a GREAT job; and it doesn't feel any different than when I towed our 1983 Sunline 22' TT (#5000 max).

Currenlty I'm looking to purchase a Suburban 2500 4x4:
A: I think the 6-speed trans will roll with the hills better
B: I towed my camper with a 2011 Suburban 1500 (5.3L/3.42) and while the results were better than my truck in the hills; the expense for the 2500 (6.0L/3.73) is negligible; and where I live the fuel saving technology in the 5.3L will barely ever engage.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #35
Hansel

I'm by no means an expert, but from my experience with my Laredo and pulling it with a F-250 Powerstroke is enough fun for me, I can only imagine how much fun people are having if they have a smaller truck.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #36
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
Don't mean to stir the pot but I agree that a 1/2 ton truck is not really designed to tow on a regular basis. Taking the boat to the lake or towing a trailer to help your buddy move is fine, but I would not do much RV towing with a 1/2 ton truck. I have traveled many miles and I have seen more than one accident with a new travel trailer with 30 day tags hooked to a flat bed tow truck with something like a jeep grand Cherokee on the flat bed. Usually one of the vehicles rolls or the combination jack knifes.

It is not a pretty sight. Not saying it can't be done, but the odds are against you. Also never believe what a RV salesman or auto salesman tells you. Ask them to put their words in writing on company letter head and see if they will.

10 years ago I towed an ultra light for a few months with a 1/2 truck. It was not fun. I moved up to a 3/4 ton diesel and it was like night and day. Towing is actually fun.

Bobby
If you honestly think some of the new 1/2 ton trucks are not designed to tow on a regular basis then you should get out from the rock your living under! I specifically purchased my new F150 Ecoboost with max tow pkg for the soul purpose to tow my camper. I am within my #'s and did not feel the need to spend the extra $$ on a larger diesel, the extra $$ for fuel, the extra $$ for maintenance costs and to be annoyed to have it sit in my driveway because its to big for the garage! Would a big diesel pull my camper much easier? Yes of course it would but let me tell you that the new Ecoboost is no slouch! For you to say a 1/2 ton is only good for taking the boat to a lake or helping your buddy move is ridiculous..
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #37
bdaniel

Depends on the size of your camper but especially how far and how often you tow. An occasional weekend trip to the local state park on flat land is probably fine.

I have towed over 80,000 miles now (travel diary/log) in all 48 states and there have been times when a 1/2 ton truck would have failed me.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I have just seen too many people towing too much camper with too little truck. For the safety of my family I made the right choice.

I would like to hear from someone who has towed with a 1/2 ton, switched to a 3/4 ton and then decided that their 1/2 ton really was good enough.

Bobby
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #38
EcoboostKev

I will admit i only tow about 5-6 times a year and im far from a full timer. Our longest trips are usually no more than 4-5 hours away. I apologize for getting so defensive but the capabilities on the new F150 are definitely no joke and don't deserve to be put in the same category as every other 1/2 ton especially from 10+ years ago! I am willing to bet that the new F150 screw HD with max tow pkg has close to the same payload as your Dodge maybe even more? So for you to say that your family is safer in your truck over a family in a new F150 (1/2 ton) both towing within your rated limits is not true in my opinion. I will agree that your cummins will out tow me on any giving day and for long trips and full timing a diesel is definitely the way to go. Once the kids are grown and moved out then it might be time for me to get a nice dually and a Montana Fifth wheel and start Rving full-time !
Kevin
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #39
Festus2
Site Team

Thread is Now Closed

Gentlemen:
On February 25, 2011 (over a year ago), lab350 submitted the original post in this thread asking for feedback about pulling a Laredo with a 2006 F150. At some point in the discussion, lab350 upgraded and puchased a 322BH as well as getting a different tow vehicle -- an F250. Lab350 received plenty of feedback over the next several months.
The discussion in the thread continued, has gotten somewhat side-tracked and now seems to be heading off in the direction of another debate about 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons.
Consequently, this thread is now closed but if someone wants to rekindle the debate about 1/2T's and 3/4T's, please start another thread.

Thank you.
Closed Thread