Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
EcoboostKev

Pulling a Passport 3050 with Yukon???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
My family and I have 3050 limited edition and luv it. My daughter likes the kids private area and the slides open up the unit tremendously. Great storage and a ton of room inside.
I love how the kids have there own area they can use for watching tv or playing Wii if its raining out or before the go to bed while the wife and i are able to watch the other tv while lying in bed. That was the biggest selling point for us!! How does your Truck pull the trailer?? And what what hitch are you using?? Do you have any issues with the trailer swaying?? Kevin
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Laredo291OH

This is just my experience... bought a Laredo 291TG last year planning to pull it with wife's 2009 Yukon. The 291 is a little larger than your 3050, 8200 gross to your 7400 and 35' to your 33'. Used a Reese Dual cam that I believe was setup properly. The Yukon has a tow rating of 8200, exactly the gross of the trailer and I was at that, was actually over the combined GVW of the Yukon by about 150 lbs at 14150. The Yukon has plenty of power and plenty of transmission, but the sway was terrible. Sometimes it towed great, sometimes it was white knuckle. I have now upgraded my 1/2 ton truck to a crew cab 2500HD, only pulled the camper a short distance after setting up the hitch, but wow, what a difference from the Yukon. The Yukon will be setting at home from now on. here are a couple of threads to check out about the whole subject, just to confuse you some more. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2416, http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5207
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Mij

I have not run much over 2 to 3 hrs from home. My last trip was on interstate and if I get over 73 to 75mph it gets a bit squirrely. I really think the longer wheelbase of the Passort helps with sway. I just run with a torsion bars on chains and no anti sway for my hitch. Any tractor-trailer interaction is a two fisted ordeal but I think thats standard issue with 33' of trailer. I'm quite sure a 3/4 ton truck would perform much better but we luv the Yukon and it fits our family great.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
E597283

I have a Yukon Denali and pull a 2910bh (gross weight 7200). It pulls fine with very little sway. All I have a one friction sway bar and a set of 800lbs round bar weight distribution hitch

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
mhs4771

Don't want to get into name calling here, but anyone pulling a TT or 5er in the mid to upper 70s needs their head examined. First off your tires are only rated for 65 and if something happens at that speed, God help you and anyone near you, as it sure won't be pretty.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Mij

Amazingly enough my Keystone dealer told me I could pull this camper fine without any problems and without any help a wdh. The Yukon does fine but do I reach the 70mph mark at the bottom of a hill to maintain 65 at the top. U bet I do. I take great caution with my family in the vehicle and have a great respect of other drivers and I believe in God as well. I enjoy the info offered on this websight have learned a ton. I will be judged when they throw dirt on my grave. Not here, not by u
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
chris199

Not judging you on this...just a strong opinion.....even with a larger TV a very good WDH should be used when towing a 33 foot trailer. It is over 5000 lbs.... you will encounter sway at some point. Search some posts here on Hensley or Propride 3P and read some of the horror stories. I am not saying you need a Hensley or Propride but you should use SOMETHING. Hensley or Propride are the high end and the best.....Equalizer or Reese Dual cam sre supposed to be good as well although I have no experience with them, I do not exeed 60 65 mph when towing..slower in truck traffic ...just not going to risk catastrophe to save some time. Have to have respect for wind, semis, weather, and others on that interstate with you. No disrespect intended.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Mij

I do use a wdh. If I listened to what an rv dealer salesman told me I Would Have To Get My Head Examined
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Don't want to get into name calling here, but anyone pulling a TT or 5er in the mid to upper 70s needs their head examined. First off your tires are only rated for 65 and if something happens at that speed, God help you and anyone near you, as it sure won't be pretty.
I agree. The ST tires that come on most trailers are only rated for 65MPH. I pull my Outback 277RL(35' -8000lbs) with a Tundra, 60-62 mph. 2000 RPM with a properly set up Reese cual cam and there is nothing white knuckle about it. I feel a little push when I get passed by a big truck, but the whole rig is rock steady.

The trailer salesmen are in business to sell trailers. Most will tell you that you can pull almost anything with almost anything. Once you leave the lot it's not their problem anymore, It's belongs to those who are on the road with you hopeing that you won't blow out a tire and swing across the center line and that you can stop if you have to.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote