Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Eric23

2018 Cougar 368MBI - New 5th wheel issues

Hello all,

We just bought the Cougar 368MBI and took it on a 7 night, 2 state break-in trip. Overall, we loved it. We found the normal minor issues like drawers needing adjusting, trim loose, etc. However, we found two issues that are concerning us and we wanted to see if anyone else is having similar issues:

1) The floor in the main living/kitchen area seems weak over the heating ducts. It flexes enough that the kitchen island actually rocks back and forth. I don't know if this is normal, a result of poor construction on our unit, or possibly water damage. I don't see any other evidence of water intrusion but see next issue... I've been in another 368MBI and I didn't remember the floor like this but we didn't notice on ours initially either.

2) The bedroom slide leaks when its out during the rain. It appears to be a design flaw because the rubber seal channels water down to the bottom of the slide which is a flat plastic trim piece. The water pools there until it runs inside the rig at the corner of the bed slide. The rig was perfectly level on a concrete pad site and it was leaking a fair amount. This isn't an issue on the other slides because they go all the way to the floor and the rubber seals end at the bottom and just drip off to the ground. But, on the bedroom slide the bottom is a horizontal edge that is collecting the water and channeling it inside.

We called our dealer to get it in for service and have the issues fixed but they can't get us back in for 3 weeks. Fortunately, it appears the bedroom slide leak is only when its open so we shouldn't have any more water leaking in before it gets back to the dealer. And the weak floor/kitchen island is worrying us a lot since it could be a major hidden issue causing it. Or it could be "normal" for this model which is bothering us too because its so noticeable that we aren't sure we want to live with it. Anyone on this forum that has a 368MBI that could chime in with their experience would be hugely helpful.

Thanks for any info and/or feedback.

Eric
Eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Did you order it or did it sit on the lot a while with the slides open?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Did you order it or did it sit on the lot a while with the slides open?
We did not order it. It had been sitting on their lot but not very long. They hadn’t even taken pictures of it or posted it on-line. I saw it because I was geting our old TT serviced there. I’m guessing it was there 2-3 weeks at most.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric23 View Post
We did not order it. It had been sitting on their lot but not very long. They hadn’t even taken pictures of it or posted it on-line. I saw it because I was geting our old TT serviced there. I’m guessing it was there 2-3 weeks at most.

Sitting that long should have had little effect unless there was a bit of rain. The soft spot could be a missing support as well. It does need investigated.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
TAZ23

As far as the slide leak goes, put a dab of caulking on the top of the trim piece just behind the wiper seal. That will create a barrier as the water will not be able to run into the camper and will fall down where it belongs. Don't use silicone caulk (it doesn't stick very good) , use a camper caulk such as Proflex . I believe you have the black slide out sides and you can get black caulk. I have done this on my camper slide out and it stopped the problem.
I cant take a picture of it because up here it was 4 below zero this morning and the camper is still sitting in a foot and a half of snow.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
ldsmith

We have a 2016 3600 RS Alpine. Our floor does the same thing. So far we have had no problems from it and now we don't even notice the movement anymore.
As for the slide leak. We had that same thing in our previous unit which was a Big Horn. We had awnings installed on the slides and never had a problem after that.
The one problem we do have on our unit is our tv. It is the set up where the tv is on a slide that retracts into a cabinet. We have had all kinds of problems due to poor and improper installation of the tv and a bad connection that we can not find. That has been very frustrating. We continue to unravel the puzzle.
L & J Smith
ldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
As far as the slide leak goes, put a dab of caulking on the top of the trim piece just behind the wiper seal. That will create a barrier as the water will not be able to run into the camper and will fall down where it belongs. Don't use silicone caulk (it doesn't stick very good) , use a camper caulk such as Proflex . I believe you have the black slide out sides and you can get black caulk. I have done this on my camper slide out and it stopped the problem.
I cant take a picture of it because up here it was 4 below zero this morning and the camper is still sitting in a foot and a half of snow.
That's a good idea. I'll see what the dealer does and I'll try this if they don't fix it. Sorry about your weather. We go camping almost year round here in California. One of the few benefits of living in this crazy state.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Eric23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmith View Post
We have a 2016 3600 RS Alpine. Our floor does the same thing. So far we have had no problems from it and now we don't even notice the movement anymore.
As for the slide leak. We had that same thing in our previous unit which was a Big Horn. We had awnings installed on the slides and never had a problem after that.
The one problem we do have on our unit is our tv. It is the set up where the tv is on a slide that retracts into a cabinet. We have had all kinds of problems due to poor and improper installation of the tv and a bad connection that we can not find. That has been very frustrating. We continue to unravel the puzzle.
L & J Smith
I'm hoping they can fix whatever issue is there but I guess we might get used to it. My wife is extremely unhappy about it so I don't know if she'll get over it if they can't at least make it better. I've considered the slide awning toppers but they aren't cheap. I think they're worth it but it will be awhile before we can get them.

Tags
5th wheel, cougar