Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
turbopilot51

Kitchen slide noisy?

On our 2012 Alpine 3500RE the kitchen slide makes a horrible noise when sliding in or out. When I took the rig back to the dealer for service, of course it worked fine, no abnormal noise. I have leveled the rig front to back and side to side using a four foot level. Has anyone else had this same issue on their kitchen slide? Any ideas what might be the problem? I plan on taking the rig back to the dealer next week and hope that the problem is fixed. I did use my ipad and recorded the slide and noise to prove that I am not imagining this.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
CarKath

I have not personally had this issue on my Alpine. I would be interested to know more about it however. Rather than describing noise, any chance of you uploading it here? Send the file to a zip folder and upload.

Thanks
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
geo

Turbopilot51 -

On our 3640RL, the kitchen slide creaks a bit while going in or out. But it doesn't seem that bad. Yes, do try attaching a .wav file to let us hear. For ours, I likened it to my joints when I get up in the morning.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
I have not personally had this issue on my Alpine. I would be interested to know more about it however. Rather than describing noise, any chance of you uploading it here? Send the file to a zip folder and upload.

Thanks
I have uploaded a video of it to You Tube.

Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
CarKath

Thanks for doing that, it is very helpful. I am trying to remember how noisy mine is by comparison. I know for sure I have similar noise when slides going in and out. I personally never gave it much thought. I have also sprayed down rubber gaskets and slide mechanism with silicone spray. When run my slides in( in about a month) I will take better note of how they sound and post back how it compares.

I personally have no clue as what causes this noise, but it reminds of a stone dragging. Perhaps a pebble or 2 caught under slide floor? Any sign of damage to kitchen floor?
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

We may have a different Lippert slide mechanism (no pulleys and not hydraulic) but ours certainly isn't that noisy when being put out. Keep in mind however, that our one slide only involves the kitchen table and living room sofa. Watched and listened to the video and wondering what the noise is AFTER the kitchen slide seems to be fully extended. Is there another slide being moved at the same time or right after? It seems strange that the noise continues after the kitchen slide is out and stationary.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
Thanks for doing that, it is very helpful. I am trying to remember how noisy mine is by comparison. I know for sure I have similar noise when slides going in and out. I personally never gave it much thought. I have also sprayed down rubber gaskets and slide mechanism with silicone spray. When run my slides in( in about a month) I will take better note of how they sound and post back how it compares.

I personally have no clue as what causes this noise, but it reminds of a stone dragging. Perhaps a pebble or 2 caught under slide floor? Any sign of damage to kitchen floor?
That was my first thought that something was caught under the slide. But there are no marks or scratches on the kitchen floor. The other slides have some noise, but nothing compared to the kitchen slide. The first time I took it back to the dealer they checked and cleaned everything and no noise. I am careful to level the rig properly so that is not a problem. The noise seems to come from the right side of the slide from the inside of the rig. I returned the Alpine back to the dealer Saturday, so I will be checking back tomorrow and show them the video.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
We may have a different Lippert slide mechanism (no pulleys and not hydraulic) but ours certainly isn't that noisy when being put out. Keep in mind however, that our one slide only involves the kitchen table and living room sofa. Watched and listened to the video and wondering what the noise is AFTER the kitchen slide seems to be fully extended. Is there another slide being moved at the same time or right after? It seems strange that the noise continues after the kitchen slide is out and stationary.
There are a total of four slides. The noise you hear is the other two slides moving into position in the living room. They are quiet compared to the kitchen slide.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
f6bits

That sure sounds like it’s squeaking its way out. The noise is in sync with the hopping motion. Are there some rails the slide rides on that need to be lubed?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Jeffrey11

Noise -

You should silicone the gaskets and lube the track or gears that move the slide. Mine did this and I found the track and gear that moves the slide had no lube at all. The manufacture says none needed but metal to metal always needs lube. It cured mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
On our 2012 Alpine 3500RE the kitchen slide makes a horrible noise when sliding in or out. When I took the rig back to the dealer for service, of course it worked fine, no abnormal noise. I have leveled the rig front to back and side to side using a four foot level. Has anyone else had this same issue on their kitchen slide? Any ideas what might be the problem? I plan on taking the rig back to the dealer next week and hope that the problem is fixed. I did use my ipad and recorded the slide and noise to prove that I am not imagining this.
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
geo

Definitely louder than my kitchen slide! I agree with sdayman on the "pulsing" sound. Like what is called a "standing wave". Let us know what the repair shop says. (My bones and joints aren't that loud in the morning!).

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Hunter757

Wow, that almost sounds like your rubber seals dragging like you have something sticky on them or maybe wet. Did you lubricate them at all with anything? I spray mine with 303 protectent keeps the rubber soft.
My slide gaskets make some noise kind of like a squeekie clean sound. I hope your dealership can find the problem.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
That was my first thought that something was caught under the slide. But there are no marks or scratches on the kitchen floor. The other slides have some noise, but nothing compared to the kitchen slide. The first time I took it back to the dealer they checked and cleaned everything and no noise. I am careful to level the rig properly so that is not a problem. The noise seems to come from the right side of the slide from the inside of the rig. I returned the Alpine back to the dealer Saturday, so I will be checking back tomorrow and show them the video.
Well, I got a call today from the dealer and they think they found the problem. It appears that during construction of the unit, some fiberglass insulation got caught under the slide track. So as the slide was moving in and out, the insulation was binding in the track on one side. I am waiting for a few more issues to be resolved (keyless entry pad and a drawer slider) and am looking forward to our first trip. Thank goodness for warranty coverage!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
har29

Does anyone know why the 2012 Alpine slides are mounted to the lower frame with angled carrage bolts with lock washers? I'm not a mechanical Engineer, but I do know that when using bolts with lock washers there should also be flat washers and bolts should be straight. Keystone has not given me an acceptable answer as of yet, except we've built thousands without failure!
If any one is interested I can post picture.
har29 is offline   Reply With Quote