Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Crazy Canucks
Permanent User Ban

Question Who has a stack washer & dryer in their 5'r?

Just wondering if you notice the weight or a balance issue when towing.
Crazy Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
mel07green

There's no way I'd give up the closet space, but I doubt it. Those things are as lightweight as they are useless.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
jje1960

Washer dryer info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
Have noticed a bunch of info on this other forum about the washer/dryer topic. I've been considering which way to go for our SRX, will most likely get a vented unit and install in the rear bay, room is not a problem.

http://www.rvforum.net
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
mhs4771

Never thought about it before, but we plan to live in our 5er for 5 months starting in Nov, so we're looking to add, probably a combo washer/dryer. Lots of pros and cons, but will go with a vented unit and do a small load every couple of days. New units are less that 150 lbs, so probably not much more that the canned goods presently in the cabinet. We'll just have to rearrange a few things, like get rid of some things we never use.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Have noticed a bunch of info on this other forum about the washer/dryer topic. I've been considering which way to go for our SRX, will most likely get a vented unit and install in the rear bay, room is not a problem.

http://www.rvforum.net
I've seen alot of Toyhaulers that have water lines pre-installed in the garage. Like some of the earlier comments I've also seen them in the front of a 5th wheel in the closet. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the closet space for one. I never looked at them close enough to see where or if the water drains after a cycle automatically down a pvc pipe to it's own grey water tank or if needs to be manually drained each time. The all-in-one units look interesting where you can wash clothing then it is also a dryer.

For how much we'd use one, we'd probably never ever get our money's worth out of it. We have yet to be on a trip where we've needed to use a laundry mat but if we were full timer's I think it would be a strong consideration..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
jje1960

Washer - dryer

Yea, I don't see us doing it for a couple of years, we take two weeks at Myrtle Beach in the summer, they have a huge lmat there so not a problem. I would like to get one before retiring or making a three week trip to see the west. Will look to see the best route to either the sink or main grey tank. With a 1000Ibs capacity in the bay, don't think weight is going to be any problem. Anyway... on that "future" to do list, no hurry.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
joseph.feucht

We have a stack washer and dryer from Whirlpool. There is no notable difference in pulling at all. As for the use, we are full-timers and could not survive without it. It is important that when you level your unit, you consider that the washer will agetate and when it spins, you will feel the vibrations. We have been using the washer and dryer daily for about 7 months now, and would recommend it to the serious RV'er. The size of the load is limited, thus daily washing is almost a must.
joseph.feucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I fulltime and have an LG Combo in my toyhauler. I had the Combo before I got my 5'r and love it. I have a 10' garage and have the combo washer/dryer, an ATV and a Harley Electra Glide all in the garage. When the Combo runs it can bounce the unit pretty good but it doesn't bother me. I figure the neighbors look at the trailer bouncing and just, uh, smile.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
jje1960

Myrtle Beach

Quote:
Where in Myrtle Beach? We are considering doing our 2013 snowbirding in the Carolina's & Georgia.

Thanks.
There is this awesome place on Myrtle Beach called Ocean Lakes. They have a nice website. We have been there a number of times and always look forward to going back. This year we booked like 18mos ahead of time, will be on a spot that is about 150' from the water. They have about a mile of beach front in this place, truly a unique place.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
AV8R
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

I have the stacked washer and dryer. Haven't noticed any issues except the washer initially didn't work and had to be replaced. I'm towing with a Ford F-350 6.4L diesel dually, so I'm not sure that I would notice if I has stackable elephants in there.

I have a full review of the Keystone Alpine 3500 RE at:
AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Tranquilty1

I'm new to these forums so sorry about being late to this thread. My 266rl is having a Splendide combo installed now. As a budding full timer it's much needed. I'm not concerned with the added weight with my F250. I am a little concerned with the hitch weight since the washer/dryer is being installed in the right front wardrobe, directly over the hitch. Also, the electrical install isn't too bad. However, the plumbing modifications are considerable. I'd caution anyone to consider the location carefully regarding electrical & plumbing issues as well as added hitch weight and overall weight.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
mhs4771

Our vented combo unit was installed last week. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Install went well, tight but everything was already there. Have to have a full hookup tho as it doesn't drain into a holding tank, directly into the dump line. Shouldn't be a problem for us as we got it for winter living in a warm climate, so we'll have full hookups there.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
jje1960

Myrtle

Quote:
Where in Myrtle Beach? We are considering doing our 2013 snowbirding in the Carolina's & Georgia.

Thanks.
We go to Ocean Lakes. Made the reservations like 15mos in advance this year, ended up with a wonderful spot like 150' from the beach.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
bruno4

washer & dryer?

Who needs this? We have a home, a stick house. We do our laundry at home. We do our camping in the trailer. We usually go for only a week at a time. I hate doing laundry! And I don't think I will ever live in a trailer. I planed for my retirement. Don't have to sell my house and live in a trailer. I feel sorry for those who do.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #15
mikell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
Who needs this? We have a home, a stick house. We do our laundry at home. We do our camping in the trailer. We usually go for only a week at a time. I hate doing laundry! And I don't think I will ever live in a trailer. I planed for my retirement. Don't have to sell my house and live in a trailer. I feel sorry for those who do.
I have a home a cabin 200 miles north and a 42' Alpine that I live in 200 miles west of my home and 2000 miles south this winter. Don't feel sorry just send cash.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
I feel sorry for those that can only camp a week at a time and have to go back to a stick house.

I sold my house, gave away or sold most of my "stuff", and now I be-bop around the country going where I want , when I want. Oh, and I do laundry in my trailer, in my combo unit, at night while I'm sleeping. Get up in the morning, clothes are dry and still tumbling. Luxury.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
Get up in the morning, clothes are dry and still tumbling. Luxury.

No alarm clock. Nice warm undies in the morning .... it doesn't get much better than that.

As for the no alarm clock ..... I forgot you have 2 dogs.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
LT. A.J.D.

Washer/Dryer Combo Install

Have a 2008 Raptor 3712TS Toy Hauler and installed a Splendide Comb-0-Matic model unit in the garage. Ran 1/2 inch plastic pex tubing from the front storage compartment where all of the water related plumbing comes together. Ran those lines under the camper parallel to the frame and above the moisture barrier material. Fed the lines up into the garage area, installed a standard plastic hot/cold washer valve unit on the wall. This particular combo unit does not have an exterior dryer vent so no need to rig one up. Used 2 inch ABS plastic pipes for the stand-pipe and created an inside standpipe vent out of the same type of pipe. Rather than run a drain pipe all the way forward and plumb it into the grey-water tank, I installed the drainpipe under the garage and exited the 3 inch pipe behind the rear tire on the driver side. Attached a bayonet type end on the 3 inch pipe and used a standard matching type cover. Now we hook a Y-type connector into the campground sewer and run two hoses. One hose from the black-water/grey-water outlet and the other to the washer drainpipe. The only downside is we have to have a sewer hook-up in order to use the washer. Most places we stay have sewer hookup so it has not been a problem. Cost about $187.00 in parts to do the job and about 6 hours labor time. Saved about $220.00 by doing it myself. (See attached photos) (Note: Bottom of exterior drainage pipe is actually 13 inches above the ground as opposed to the way it looks from the angle in which the photo was taken)

Lt. A.J.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1248-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg