Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
I would bet the biggest concern isn't how many valves at all but to be sure anti-freeze stays out of the HWH.
Never had that issue as I blow the lines!
We live in the PNW, there were years I would winterize three or four times as we camped year round. DW has very sensitive taste and smell, she asked that I not use the pink stuff. It was that reason and the fact most of the parks we would go to were not full hook up,
So flushing once at campsite was not a good plan.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #22
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
There is a one way fitting/valve on the hot outlet to stop backflow into the tank.
Good call. That is a 4th option I did not think of. Looking back at my other W/H which was a Suburban (steel tank) and the check valve was at the bottom (cold water feed) and it clearly was notice able as compared to the steel nipple at the top. With my now Atwood (aluminum tank) I miss took both brass fittings as being just brass nipples. This clearly has not turned out to not be a way of cheeping out and is more user friendly.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Before you reply otherwise, I suggest
Such tone
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #24
Javi

Here is the valve I removed... I replaced the entire thing with clamped sharkbite brass...

Javi
Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #25
Bama Hammer

This is a bit off the specific topic, but Can a tankless air compressor be used to purge the water system for winterizing?
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Hammer View Post
This is a bit off the specific topic, but Can a tankless air compressor be used to purge the water system for winterizing?
That would depend on the volume of air available from the compressor... You will need to keep up enough pressure to push the water out an open faucet... I use a 2.5 gallon pancake compressor and turn the pressure down to <45 lbs..

Javi
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #27
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That would depend on the volume of air available from the compressor... You will need to keep up enough pressure to push the water out an open faucet... I use a 2.5 gallon pancake compressor and turn the pressure down to <45 lbs..

Javi
If water pressure isn't recommended over 40 psi, then set the air to no more than 40 psi.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Hammer View Post
If you can keep the pressure down as recommended above, sure, the tankless will be fine.

I've used some very small, inexpensive compressors at the time. If they can fill an auto tire to 35# or so, they'll do your trailer just fine. Just open one faucet at a time and let it go until there's almost no spray coming from it. Then close it up and move to the next one. It's not essential to get every last drop of water out, especially if you're going to pump in RV antifreeze after blowing out.

Even if you don't use antifreeze after blowing out the system, a little bit of residual water in the pipes is not an issue. Remember that for the water to expand enough to break something, it needs to already fill an enclosed space. That's why a bit of water on the floor of your FW or HW tanks doesn't matter. It has more than enough space to expand without breaking anything. Remove 95% or more of the water, and you're OK. But I prefer the antifreezee because it gets into the pump and toilet valve and other places that the air may not clean out.

I currently have a 3 gallon Craftsman compressor that pretty much lives in one of the compartments of the basement. The truck needs 75# or so, and the RideRites can take up to 50#. Like Javi, I have to turn it way down to start the winterizing.

And, for those that might ask, if you have one of those little air tanks that you fill up and take it where needed, that will work too. Just remember that if it's a long trip back to where ever you filled it, you'll have to be watchful of how much you use.

I use my ShopVac to blow out the drain traps and then pour some RV antifreeze into them. Needs less antifreeze because you're not diluting it with whatever is already in the trap.

Come to think of it, one year I used the ShopVac to blow out the water system. I just grabbed a roll of electrical tape and fastened a piece of garden hose to the ShopVac hose, set it to blow, and had at it. Worked fine.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote