Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

EMS/Surge protector and 120VAC

As the door is requested to close by the OP, let me throw in one more last minute deviation, EMS /surge protection. Keep in mind these portable units plug into either 30 or 50 Amp receptacles so when we are discussing plugging our rigs in to garage/home receptacles (10 or 15AMP) you gain no protection such as low voltage due to large voltage drops.

On the other hand if you had installed a hardwired unit you would still have protection and and more important as discussed in this case protection from possible "LOW VOLTAGE"

So here is an advantages of a hardwired EMS/Surge Protector over a portable one. OKAY back to that other power source 12VDC and specifically for the OP's question on BATTERIES

ADDED: this may be like turning an aircraft carrier around

I have a question about this. If I recall, my 50A Surge Guard has disabled our AC when we lost one leg of the 50A (I think). If they work like that wouldn't they then cut your power if you had either a hardwired or portable EMS/surge protector plugged into 120? I don't know this off the top of my head and I don't have the trailer to check. Has anyone done this? I would assume anyone with a fixed protector would be out of luck with 120V service if it was correct so I'm assuming my assumption () is incorrect??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

To avoid any Future confusion please note that my post (post 1) has been copied from this previous thread

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=27578

and can not stand alone. For this to make any sense please review the tread listed above
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As the door is requested to close by the OP, let me throw in one more last minute deviation, EMS /surge protection. Keep in mind these portable units plug into either 30 or 50 Amp receptacles so when we are discussing plugging our rigs in to garage/home receptacles (10 or 15AMP) you gain no protection such as low voltage due to large voltage drops.

On the other hand if you had installed a hardwired unit you would still have protection and and more important as discussed in this case protection from possible "LOW VOLTAGE"

So here is an advantages of a hardwired EMS/Surge Protector over a portable one. OKAY back to that other power source 12VDC and specifically for the OP's question on BATTERIES

ADDED: this may be like turning an aircraft carrier around

I have a question about this. If I recall, my 50A Surge Guard has disabled our AC when we lost one leg of the 50A (I think). If they work like that wouldn't they then cut your power if you had either a hardwired or portable EMS/surge protector plugged into 120? I don't know this off the top of my head and I don't have the trailer to check. Has anyone done this? I would assume anyone with a fixed protector would be out of luck with 120V service if it was correct so I'm assuming my assumption () is incorrect??
Keep in mind my comments in post 1 was in reference to a previous thread where we were discussing plugging in rigs using adapter(s) to go from a 50 or 30 amp rig down to 110V. With these adapters connected whatever combination the rig will see 110V on the proper leg(s) of the rigs Power Distribution Panel

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I understand the 120 on one leg, but, if the surge protector/EMS shuts down if it doesn't see what it thinks it should see ie; 120volts on both legs, would it not shut down the power if you only had power coming in on one leg?

In other words, I have a 50A protector and it's programmed to look for 120v on both legs and if not it "stops". If that were the case then anytime I hooked up to 120vac (one hot leg) the surge protector would cut me off. I've not done that intentionally but I do believe I've encountered it shutting my power down at a bad ped with only one hot leg but I don't recall exactly. I was just referencing back to your post to use the protector to protect against low voltage on a single, 120v line.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

OK....it's time for MY nap. The 120v adapter splits the 120 to both legs of the 50A plug. I've provided the wiring diagram for that multiple times but........... Sorry for the new thread and confusion. I've got some woodworking and home maintenance to do tomorrow, maybe I'll get things back in order in the noggin
Guess we could call this my personal thread about "nothing". Please close.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

No need to close it, somebody will say, "huh???" and offer advice. Depending on what they offer, we might all learn something....

HURRY UP SPRING, IT'S TIME TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR A WHILE !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

http://www.theverylastpageontheinternet.com

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I understand the 120 on one leg, but, if the surge protector/EMS shuts down if it doesn't see what it thinks it should see ie; 120volts on both legs, would it not shut down the power if you only had power coming in on one leg?

In other words, I have a 50A protector and it's programmed to look for 120v on both legs and if not it "stops". If that were the case then anytime I hooked up to 120vac (one hot leg) the surge protector would cut me off. I've not done that intentionally but I do believe I've encountered it shutting my power down at a bad ped with only one hot leg but I don't recall exactly. I was just referencing back to your post to use the protector to protect against low voltage on a single, 120v line.
Let me see, the previous thread was addressing hooking our rigs 50 Amp or 30 Amp to a normal 110v plug say in the garage (15 0r 20 Amp) In order to achieve this adapters are used, basically to covert physically and electrically between the two different 110v sources (50A,30A,15.20A).

Lets take a simple example: Your 50 Amp rig pulls into a 30Amp site. Assuming you had a 50Am EMS/Surge Protector, which wants to see 110 on two legs. Of course that pedestal is 30 AMP providing 110V on only one leg. So you would need a 30 AMP adapter to 50 AMP adapter, male into Pedestal and other end you would plug in your 50 AMP EMS other port of the EMS you put your 50 Amp Shore power cable.

Now in this case that 30 to 50 adapter is what makes all this all work by taking that 110 V on one leg from the pedestal ( male plug) and applying it to both sides of the 50 AMP (female plug) on the other end. So now your 50 Amp EMS is happy seeing 110V on each leg although the pedestal you are plugged into only supplies 110V on one leg.

The 110 V 15/20 AMP adapter is just another device doing the same conversion.

In my picture my 12 gauge extension cord plugs into an adapter who other end is setup for a 30 amp plug , a 30 Amp adapter (110 V on a single leg) is in itself adapts to a 50 AMP connector plugged into the rig Again this adapter applies the 110V on a single leg to both legs feeding into the rig. So my hardwired EMS, which happens to be a transfer switch, sees 110V on both leg as if to was connected to a 50 AMP pedestal even though its connected to a 110V plug in the garage. If you recall in the previous thread We were discussing the possibility of low voltages at the rig due to voltage drop as a result of running an AC Most EMS will shut off on low voltage

Hope I understood your question and this helps, Guess my point I guess was if the EMS was hardwired there would be less issues horking up a portable with more adapters

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
OK....it's time for MY nap. The 120v adapter splits the 120 to both legs of the 50A plug. I've provided the wiring diagram for that multiple times but........... Sorry for the new thread and confusion. I've got some woodworking and home maintenance to do tomorrow, maybe I'll get things back in order in the noggin
Guess we could call this my personal thread about "nothing". Please close.
Guess I was typing slower than you while yours and a couple more who have posted , Nothing not sure, it you are concerned with low voltages use an EMS, A hardwired on makes it much easier and yes I definitely had enough

Yes now you got it ADAPTERS

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No need to close it, somebody will say, "huh???" and offer advice. Depending on what they offer, we might all learn something....

HURRY UP SPRING, IT'S TIME TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR A WHILE !!!!!
Tell Me, just trying to straighten out this mess. Looking back I should have just deleted this thread when I seen it, but I did not generate it and did not know how much the OP knew based on his questions

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Tell Me, just trying to straighten out this mess. Looking back I should have just deleted this thread when I seen it, but I did not generate it and did not know how much the OP knew based on his questions
PARAPTOR; I know AC/DC and trailer hookups/EMS/surge protectors.....just don't know how many brain cells are going to be working from hour to hour . Thankfully it's still 8 months till my next birthday so maybe things will just "hold off" until the clock turns again
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank goodness!! I didn't know it existed but I'M FINALLY THERE!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Haha, tell me about age and Senior Moments. Really need voice to text , I really type Slooooow, I try to keep up with you guys

All good ,was just trying to emphasize low voltage protection. So you have a birthday coming up, lookout does not get better
Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Haha, tell me about age and Senior Moments. Really need voice to text , I really type Slooooow, I try to keep up with you guys

All good ,was just trying to emphasize low voltage protection. So you have a birthday coming up, lookout does not get better
I've got voice to text.....tried it once; couldn't even figure out what it was trying to say vs what I said. Told DW..."must've been made in China"
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
That is priceless! Thank you.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote