Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Irish Mist

Fridge noise

I am not positive but pretty sure my fridge was quiet when it was running. I am using it on LP as I always have,and there is a noise like a fan running..I'm pretty sure I didn't hear this before but perhaps I'm just more sensitive as I get more lazy here. It is a hum maybe more then a fan noise..Stops when not cooling..
Thank you
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Fridge noise

Some models have a small fan like a computer cooling fan mounted near the top of the cooling unit. It is automatic and controlled by a thermistor mounted on the fins.

A quiet hum is normal, loud may indicate failed bearings, or loose mounting allowing it to vibrate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your refrigerator, though not installed in the slide, is mounted "kitty-cornered" and has two side vents (no roof vent). On that type of installation, there is not enough "chimney effect ventilation" to keep the rear coils/refrigeration unit cool, so a 12 volt fan (very similar to a computer waffle fan) is installed in the space between the vents to blow air across the refrigerator coils. Quite often the fan doesn't make enough noise to be noticed until the fan blades get dirty, then the unbalanced condition causes it to vibrate. That's when it often gets loud enough to be very noticeable. Dometic doesn't consider the noise to be a warranty failure, and cleaning the fan will sometimes solve the problem.

The fan is connected to the red wire that comes from the black plastic control box (usually on the rear lower left hand corner, behind the vent cover) and has a fuse holder in it. On many Dometic refrigerators, the fan is thermostatically controlled and doesn't run all the time, but on some models, it's a 24/7 fan. You can disable it by removing the fuse in the red wire if the temperature is not going to be above about 85-90 F. Any warmer than that, you'll need the extra ventilation to keep the refrigerator operating efficiently.

I'll try to find a picture of the wire/fuse holder where it exits the control panel cover.

ADDED: The photos of the back of the refrigerator are located in post #10 in the thread found here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=refrigerator

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #4
Irish Mist

Thanks John
I will see if I can locate the fan and give it a cleaning.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Irish Mist

Found the fan as described. It appeared pretty clean so I will hunt for a new one as I'm thinking must be bearing going.. I'm sure they are about $10 somewhere or less It's not horrible I'm guessing possibly it didn't come on before as we where near freezing outside. now at near 80 it is needed.
Thanks again

Tags
fridge