Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
dcg9381

2015 Keystone Carbon - warranty updates

So I've had two major issues with my 327 Carbon:
1) Slide issues - mainly cables in contact with guides and the main slide binding in the opening.
2) Defective Factory Roof (came up while traveling). Roof replaced in sub-standard manner by dealership as Keystone does not authorize replacement of roof decking and dealer chose not to "smooth" the OSB that typically gets at least partially torn up when removing the old roof membrane.

These are the two major issues - along with a number of smaller ones. This RV has been in the shop for service now over 220 days. Honestly, most of it has been "waiting" on the dealer to get it into the bay, as they seem to prioritize other work over warranty.

The slide issue has been looked at more than 3 times. I offered to pay the dealer additional $$ to do the roof correctly, but the dealer applied roof material over rough OSB and existing staples anyway. That was a big mistake.

At 180 days, Keystone would not provide alternatives for service and some of the smaller repairs were going on 3rd and 4th attempts. Unfortunately, I had to hire an attorney and that attorney contacted Keystone directly. That got things moving immediately. Keystone sent a representative to the dealership, who inspected the slides and made the call that the RV should be returned to the factory for repairs. I had to completely remove everything from the RV, winterize it, and a private transport company was hired to take it back to Indiana. Keystone paid for the transport. Keystone was excellent at communicating the and setting up for transport.

Keystone initially refused to address way the roof was repaired. As the owners manual states, defects of "cosmetic" nature are allowed. The roof did not leak and was otherwise sealed OK, but looked bad. I argued that this created a loss of value on the RV, as anyone on the roof could see OSB texture and staples were already poking up. I referenced two cases in 2015 where Keystone lost cases on sub-standard roof repairs - one with a $65,000 award (full cost of RV + punitive). The other case was a $8000-$10000 award (complete re-roof). Apparently my argument was compelling.

Keystone has since agreed to re-roof for a 2nd time (at the factory) and address the slide issues. I'm assuming they can get it right, but by the time I get it back, we'll be at 250 days or so out of service.

I really like the RV. I really don't like the Keystone service model which pushes the burden of factory defects on to the dealer and the (in my opinion) fails to compensate the dealerships fairly for the time it takes to do correct repairs.

Hopefully we'll be back on the road in the spring..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Re: 2015 Keystone Carbon - warranty updates

Sounds like you had a legitimate beef. As I've always said, don't stop pushing buttons until you run out of them. It's a shame it took getting a lawyer involved but sounds like it paid off in the long run. I'm glad they're doing the right thing and hopefully the work performed at the factory will be as you want and you can back on the road. Thanks for the info/update.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, warranty