Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Ron

Side Wall Construction

Can anyone on here tell me what the difference is from a Cougar to an Alpine as far as box construction, sidewall etc. I asked our local dealer before I purchased our Cougar and he wasn't much help. What I was curious about was the thickness of the aluminum structure between the two models. Thanks ...........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
therink

My guess is that it is the same, except that I believe Alpine has high gloss exterior versus filon on the Cougar. Again, this is a guess. I do know that on the Keystone website, they have pretty detailed cutaway drawings showing the sidewall construction for each model with rated R-values.
I hope this helps.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Ron

SIdewall Construction

Thanks Steve: I have e-mailed Keystone with no response. I know a Forest River dealear that had sample sidewall cutouts on a couple different models which shows different thicknesses of aluminum and insulation R value. I was hopeing that the Cougar was built as well as upper end models. We use ours almost every weekend, and taking a trip last January to Az, planning on going south again in January. So far I have been very pleased with the Cougar. Happy Campin.............Ron

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
therink

Ron
We've had our outback for two seasons now and it has held up well, other than anal retentive maintenance and tightening this, resecuring that. Nothing major. Did have the left side upper bedroom wall slightly separate from the frame while under load/hitched due to bad fasteners. Was repaired under warranty.
Overall I am happy with my trailer, but it is not considered "high end" construction. Probably middle of the road, hence the price point. I believe the Cougar line is very similar in construction.
I found that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The trick is to stay on top of things before they become problematic, especially with the roof and all caulked joints.
We are going on our last trip for the season tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Ron

Steve
Definetly you have to stay on top of any issues that arrise. We have an excavating business, and we don't just patch things up, we replace whatever needs to be repaired. We keep our trailer in a building out of all the elements so that definetly helps in the longevity of the trailer. I don't jump over curbs, hit potholes etc. which doesn't do these things any good. We also were going camping today till sunday on our last trip of the year, but rain rain rainany thanks again for the input. Happy campin....Ron

Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
mhs4771

OK, I have to ask? "How do you avoid Pot Holes on these fine roads we travel?" Seems some roads are nothing but one giant Pot Hole. I try to avoid them as much as humanly possible, but can't seem to miss them all, part of the reason I just upgraded to the MOR/ryde IS System. We too are camping, but won't be our last. May stop at the Maryland Samboree at the end of the month while on our way South for the Winter.
Happy trails,
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Ron

OK you got me,,,,,,OK I try to avoid all pot holes as much as possible. Ya the roads we travel on there sure great. On the roads under construction where they are paving, where they start or stop at the end of the day with the little ramp........ouch: that sure takes a toll on these things. The Mor/ryde I thing is a pretty good way to go, I have the ranch hitch adapter so i don't know how much I would bennefit with Mor/ryde hitch, but thought about it alot....Happy Campin.......Ron