Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
chuckretnav

327res sattelite direct tv

Hello, I am moving to a perment site that has a Direct TV sattelite dish. I plan on taking my upstairs reciever to the fifth wheel and see if I can make it all work. I know that their is a sattelite connection outside where the water line is on the trailer and I know the Direct TV box has got to connect to the TV and Ill use a HDMI cable. But where does direct TV box connect too so I have signal. I have the winegard amp box behind the tv then their is a short coax coming out of the wall then back in the wall. So where do I pick up that signal from the dish to get it to the box. And I assume I turn off the amp box. Can someone help me out. Nothing in any of the boxs that came with the 327res. thanks
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
therink

Hi
I responded to your other post as well. The satellite signal will not work if connected into the wineguard system/circuit. It needs a direct feed to the dish from receiver with no splitters or interruptions. Look for a heavier gauge cable with end (mine is grey) coming out of the wall somewhere behind the tv or below it in the nook where the sat receiver goes.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Ron

327 sattelite

on my 327 the bottom connection on the loop is the outside connection, on my friends it is the top, try either one. as the previous post yes you bypass the winguard amp all together and go direct to the outside. good luck..................ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
chuckretnav

Smile 327

ok thanks for the help. Just love it when they don't lapel things
Old 08-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Moki

Ron is exactly right. One of the connections that the jumper is connected to is the input from the outside. This one should go to the Sat receiver labeled SAT IN. The to TV out from the Sat receiver goes back to the other connector where the jumper was. Then push the button on the amp to turn it off. This is important as if it's on, nothing will work. Further on down the system there is a splitter which will enable you to watch on the other tv sets. Actually, the only time the jumper is needed, is when using cable and you still need to turn the amp off. I've traced several 5'ers and most of them will work this way. Seems like no one at the dealerships can explain how the systems really work. Good luck..
Moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
chuckretnav

327 Sat connection

Thank you everyone. Not one thing is in any of all the books that came with the trailer. And that jumper coax has no lables etc etc. Oh the amp has no lable to say turn it off if your trying to get Sat TV. LOL It sure makes it hard on people. Once again Thank You to all three of you that answered my question. Happy Camping everyone
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
Ron is exactly right. One of the connections that the jumper is connected to is the input from the outside. This one should go to the Sat receiver labeled SAT IN. The to TV out from the Sat receiver goes back to the other connector where the jumper was. Then push the button on the amp to turn it off. This is important as if it's on, nothing will work. Further on down the system there is a splitter which will enable you to watch on the other tv sets. Actually, the only time the jumper is needed, is when using cable and you still need to turn the amp off. I've traced several 5'ers and most of them will work this way. Seems like no one at the dealerships can explain how the systems really work. Good luck..
So you still use this jumper box outlet This is what I am reading? I have the jumper box outlet and just figured that you remove the jumper wire and hook your dish box to this and then straight to the TV from the reciever. BUT You are saying I can jump from this outlet box to reciever and then back to the box(outlet) and whole system will satelite signal? and if you have more than one reciever they will work? I understand the green light switch for boost.
Thanks for reply
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
jewallac

Let me know if it works

I will be interested if you can make this work. My husband and I spent all Saturday working on the satellite connection. I connected mine just as stated. I even called Keystone and they told me the top connector for the jump cable was to connect to satellite in. Then I connected my receiver "out to TV" back to the bottom connecter where the jump cable had been. I got absolutely nothing. Just to make sure everything else was working, I disconnected and re-connected the dish cable directly to the receiver and it worked. Don't know why this is so complicated. Anyone have any ideas, I would love to hear them. Oh, and I did have the antennae booster "off".

June
jewallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
therink

Before I offer any suggestions, I have a question: Do you have two outside tv connections, one marked satellite prep, and the other marked cable?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Moki

The key to all of this, is first to make certain your cable/sat in is the right one and is in good condition. Don't believe what anyone says and check for yourself. Easy way to check is connect one of the connectors the jumper is on to sat in on the sat receiver and the tv out directly to the tv. This will tell you if the cable is the right one and it's good. Once you know which connector is cable/sat in, label it and then connect tv out to the other conn the jumper was on. Don't forget to turn the amp off. I also changed out every cable connector in the 5'ver. Some were ready to fall off, some had whisker wires touching center connector, some where real iffy on making good connects. I also changed out the splitter for higher quality one. Been a ham radio operator for 40 years and connectors are always suspect. Hope this helps. Moki
Moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
jewallac

Follow-up

In answer to Steve, I have only one outside connection for both cable and satellite. As to the cable I used, it was brand new and when the satellite wouldn't work through the cable system of the Montana, I ran the coax directly from the dish to the receiver and receiver directly to the TV and it worked. So don't think it's the cable. Now I didn't reverse the connections when using the jumper cable connectors. Keystone told me the top was satellite in and maybe they're wrong.
jewallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
kingji

Dish Hook-up

I also use one of my spares from the house and I just set it up today as a test run for a trip next week. The coax from the dish hooks to the back of the rv and where there is only one outlet. I guess it's good for cable or satelite. Inside I remove the jumper and hook a coax up to the bottom connector and run it to the "dish in" on the back of the reciever. Then I run another coax from the top connector to the "tv in" on the back of the reciever. I also use a satelite locator positioned inline in the coax outside at the dish to find the two satelites I need. I labeled both of the connectors inside a while back and it sure cut down on some of the confusion. Hope this helped.
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote