Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Rhinoone82

Major slide out issue

This morning we were packing after a great weekend of camping in our 2015 Impact 311. As our usual practice, I do all of the outside and my DW does the inside. Before bringing in the slides we have always made a practice of DW walking around the outside and i do a quick check of inside so that we do not over look anything being in the way of the slides. Today was no different. We each did our checks and then I went back outside to finish up the last of the outside packing. My DW brought in the bedroom slide, no issues. She started bringing in the living room slide and that is when the issue started.
The slide started coming in, no hint of anything binding and after about 8" there was a loud pop. She stopped and yelled for me. Upon inspection I found that the front pulley assembly had ripped from the wall and was hanging by one screw The other screws had fallen to the floor.
After some very choice words I calmed down. Got a couple of the friends that we were camping with and assessed the situation. We were able to get the slide in by moving the slide a little at a time by the switch, which brought in the one side, and having my friends push the broken side in. We drove it to the service center to drop off to get repaired.
Now I need to get a hold of them tomorrow morning to find out a repair timeline. We are supposed to head out for a 1 week trip next Wednesday, but I am afraid that we will need to cancel. Just don't see them getting it fixed in a little over a week.

Just sucks that a new camper, that we have had since December had such a failure. My guess is that one or more of the screws loosened up, and with the pressure that is on these something had to give.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
bobbecky

I believe Keystone just issued a recall for the problem you have. Your shop should already know about this, and if not, call Keystone right away. I think the fix is longer screws, nothing major. Good luck.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
dcg9381

Bob/Becky, If it's the recent slide recall, I don't think that issue has anything to do with the recall. There is a chance that I'm not understanding the issue, but I think he's saying that one of the pulleys mounted on the slide itself came untethered.

The recall is about what keeps the chain link connected to the motor. It's literally just a pin. Apparently some of those pins are soft or otherwise bend / break... I believe the technical details (including the fix) is in the recall link.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Rhinoone82

Yes, The pulley was ripped right out of the wall. 5 self tapping screws ripped right out of the aluminum studs. From what I understand this is not what is covered under the the recall.

I did get a call from the dealer today that they were able to get in to the shop and got it repaired. I will be going to pick it up on Saturday and will be checking the repairs and confirm that they checked all 3 of the other slide pulleys, the other one on the main slide and the 2 on the bedroom slide.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
dcg9381

Curious how they repaired it? IE- just went to the next size up screws?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Rhinoone82

Not sure until I get there on Saturday. I will post an update on what they did. I am interested as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
bobbecky

Keystone RV Recalls Recreational Vehicles with Screws that May Fail

Keystone RV Company has announced the recall of certain model year 2015 recreational vehicles (RVs). The screws that attach the expanding room to the sliding mechanism cable on the recalled RVs may fail, allowing the room to extend unintentionally while the vehicle is in motion.

If the room extends while vehicle is in motion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Models affected by this recall include 2015 Keystone Sprinter, Cougar, Montana, Montana High Country, Outback, Bullet, Avalanche, Alpine, Fuzion, Impact, Laredo, Raptor, Carbon, and Passport RVs, along with Dutchmen Kodiak, Aerolite, Denali, and Voltage vehicles.

Keystone will notify owners of the recalled vehicles, and local dealers will replace the screws free of charge.

Owners with additional questions about this recall may contact Keystone RV customer service at 1-866-425-4369.

Keystone's reference number for this recall is 15-225.

Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote