Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
On a side note. Why would you bother changing running lights? The tv takes care of them anyways. I don't get it.
I can only speak for myself.
  • I like the appearance of the LED's in the running lights.
  • They run a lot cooler.
  • I prefer the crisp ON/OFF of LED's.
  • I can use the running lights without the TV so I use LED's to conserve the battery. (Dry camp mostly.)
  • I like to experiment with things to improve the trailer and my knowledge of it which I then freely share with others.
  • And because I can, and that makes me happy.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

When I installed my LED tail lights/license plate light I didn't have to modify anything. The 84 series LED's simply connect to the existing wiring that was used for the original tail lights. I did solder on longer wires for the LP light. The pigtails were only about 8" long, so I soldered a couple of feet to each. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole behind where I wanted the LP light, ran the wire through and up to the existing hole for the tail light. Connected all the wiring, checked for proper operation and then mounted the LED tail light on that side. Really, after the Butyl tape sets up, there's no need for any screws, the Butyl pretty much adheres to the lights and the trailer skin and nothing is going anywhere. You do need to install all the screws, however, as they are what compresses the Butyl tape and holds everything in place while it does its thing.

To answer Jables' question about why install LED lights. Way back when this thread first started, I related how my wife followed me to the dealer for service and told me how she couldn't see the stop/turn signals at any of the many lane changes and stops made along the way. It was a bright, sunny day, but the lights were not visible in the sunlight. That was enough to cause me to start looking for a different lighting system that was visible (and safer) to use on sunny days. It's frightening to think of running 65MPH down an interstate and not be able to signal lane changes or stops to the vehicles behind us because they couldn't see the ineffective lights that were on the trailer. So, for me, the reason to go to LED's was safety and increased visibility. The additonal benefits that Steve noted were, for me, the "icing on the cake"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Jables

Valid points guys. I see. Not trying to bust anyone's chops.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

No problems Jables. We all get a chance to see another point of view on here, that's part of why the forum is so successful, we learn from each other....

Speaking of learning, Steve, Earlier you mentioned putting new backup lights on your truck. I don't recall (can't find) any mention of the actual light you used. Do you have a link to where you got them?

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Speaking of learning, Steve, Earlier you mentioned putting new backup lights on your truck. I don't recall (can't find) any mention of the actual light you used. Do you have a link to where you got them?
Yup, they are partially installed. I say partially because I have only done the physical install and hooked up the white half of the lights. Light output from half of the fixture is way over 1,000 Lumens each. That's just a tad brighter than the two 921 incandescents that Ford uses!

The lights are LED hideaways or LAW's.. They're commonly installed in emergency vehicles in the headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, and back up lights. They are pretty much invisible until they are turned on and then they flash extremely bright. The forerunner of these was strobe lights installed in the same locations. Those are known as HAW's.

Up until very recently, you could only get them in single colors: red, blue, amber, green, purple , and clear. Now an outfit called Feniex has introduced the Cannon to the marketplace. It's the first dual color LAW. There are 12 LED's divided into two banks of six each. Each bank can be any color desired. Each bank can be set to steady burn or flash in any number of patterns.

If you looked at the tail lights of any Ford pickup these days, the back up light housing is tiny and there's no room for anything but the 921 bulb. I'm an EMT and I want some flashing lights on the back of the truck for scene safety. The Cannons solved my problem. I modified the housing to accept the Cannons and installed them in place of the 921's. The white side of the Cannon is set to steady burn and connect to the back up circuit. When I put the truck in reverse, they light normally but a lot brighter.

When I get the wiring finished, the amber side of the Cannons will flash a wig-wag pattern when ever I am operating in emergency mode. The lights are configured so that if I put the truck in reverse, the flashing ambers are shut off and the normal white comes on.

Here's how bright the lights are:

The bad news is that they cost $160 for a pair. Most of the folks here won't have any need for the dual color ones. There are less expensive LAW's available in single colors that would work well for enhancing the back up lights without adding fixtures on or under the bumper. But they'd still be over $100 new. I bought my Cannons from http://www.advancedwarninglights.com/ he does carry other models of the LAW's

Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for the info, Steve. I, somehow, was thinking it was a bulb swap that you did. You're right, that much innovation and modification is a bit more than most people want to do for back up lights. I'm going to mount a couple of square LED floodlights (the same as I have put on my tractor) to the back of the fifth wheel, but I'm looking for something "plug and play" for the truck to improve the current "lack of light" situation. Your mod would definitely do that, but it's a bit more than I wanted to do.....

Possibly, one of the Fenix 12 LED surface mount cannons in the center of the rear bumper, right above the license plate? That might be a player if I can't find brighter bulbs.... And that's looking to be an impossible thing to find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Possibly, one of the Fenix 12 LED surface mount cannons in the center of the rear bumper, right above the license plate? That might be a player if I can't find brighter bulbs.... And that's looking to be an impossible thing to find.
You might do better ($$$) with another LAW of a single color. Quality is just as good. Let me know if you want to go that route. I have some sources for them, both new and used.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Comptech

Steve,
Whats all that white stuff on the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Yup, they are partially installed. I say partially because I have only done the physical install and hooked up the white half of the lights. Light output from half of the fixture is way over 1,000 Lumens each. That's just a tad brighter than the two 921 incandescents that Ford uses!

The lights are LED hideaways or LAW's.. They're commonly installed in emergency vehicles in the headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, and back up lights. They are pretty much invisible until they are turned on and then they flash extremely bright. The forerunner of these was strobe lights installed in the same locations. Those are known as HAW's.

Up until very recently, you could only get them in single colors: red, blue, amber, green, purple , and clear. Now an outfit called Feniex has introduced the Cannon to the marketplace. It's the first dual color LAW. There are 12 LED's divided into two banks of six each. Each bank can be any color desired. Each bank can be set to steady burn or flash in any number of patterns.

If you looked at the tail lights of any Ford pickup these days, the back up light housing is tiny and there's no room for anything but the 921 bulb. I'm an EMT and I want some flashing lights on the back of the truck for scene safety. The Cannons solved my problem. I modified the housing to accept the Cannons and installed them in place of the 921's. The white side of the Cannon is set to steady burn and connect to the back up circuit. When I put the truck in reverse, they light normally but a lot brighter.

When I get the wiring finished, the amber side of the Cannons will flash a wig-wag pattern when ever I am operating in emergency mode. The lights are configured so that if I put the truck in reverse, the flashing ambers are shut off and the normal white comes on.

Here's how bright the lights are:

The bad news is that they cost $160 for a pair. Most of the folks here won't have any need for the dual color ones. There are less expensive LAW's available in single colors that would work well for enhancing the back up lights without adding fixtures on or under the bumper. But they'd still be over $100 new. I bought my Cannons from http://www.advancedwarninglights.com/ he does carry other models of the LAW's

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
trucker LOU

John, If you are thinking about back up lites on your Springdale consider mounting them on the front side to lite both sides & rear.On my old trailer I at first installed them on the rear , but could not see sides when parking at night. If I do it right will post pics.---Lou---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528 - Resized.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2863  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #30
homer3

has anyone had any dealings with Tweetys.com?

http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=bargman+84,,, They claim to be an On-Line RV supply store. In conjunction with this posting the Bargman #84 Series appear to be quite inexpensive. Is this to good to be true???

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #31
Fixjet

Bargman #7 work great. 3 of the 4 mount holes line up and the 4th is cover by your sealant. Plate light and mount are included. Way more light output than the crappy stock lights.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #32
jjboyz1

Hello homer3 and yes I have purchased items from tweets.com. I found them threw amazon and ordered a replace shower faucet, great price fast shipping

2013 Raptor 395 Lev
2013 Ram 2500 Cumins Diesel
2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom
jjboyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote