Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
therink

Suburban Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

The pressure relief valve on my Suburban Water Heater has always dripped since new (2013). I have researched the issue and have followed the instructions with filling to leave air pocket in the tank to allow for heat eexpansion, but it still drips.
Yesterday, I replaced the relief valve with a new one and it still drips. This is my 7th rv with a suburban heater and the first time I have had this issue. Any ideas what may be causing this?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably low expansion volume in the hot water system. The purpose (as I know you're aware) of the air pocket is to allow expansion volume as the water heats and expands. For some reason, your hot water system isn't allowing sufficient expansion during the heating cycle. It may be that your hot water heater is set in the RV in such a way that the air pocket can't form properly, or the angle that the relief valve is oriented (possible bent tank) that the inside of the relief valve is too low in the air pocket?

It's probably not the relief valve if you've changed it out, chances of 2 bad ones is possible but not probable.

You may think about installing a 3 valve winterizing kit which would remove the one way valve at the top exit port for hot water, that might allow your entire hot water system to then become the "expansion volume" for your air gap.....

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any "remedy" other than keeping the air gap in the tank, which in your situation, doesn't seem to be the issue.....

Hmmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
hankaye

therink, Howdy;

I think it may be the check valve and the single shut-off by-pass
system. I have the same problem. Just haven't gotten around to
re-plumbing the shut-offs as I never winterize as a full-timer...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
bobbecky

The only time ours leaks is when both the electric and gas are on. Otherwise, we normally run just electric and it doesn't leak, and the few times we've run on just gas, it hasn't leaked either. I've just gotten used to ignoring it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #5
therink

Thanks for the feedback. I will consider replumbing to a 3 way valve thus eliminating the top check valve. The dripping from the PR valve itself is not a big deal. It is the mineral staining on the exterior of the RV that concerns me. Over time the stains will become very difficult to remove, plus the constant presence of water will cause corrosion behind the exterior panel.
Thanks again

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote