Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Smitty43

Bedroom A/C

My bedroom A/C keeps throwing the breaker, cools great and some times runs for over an hour then will pop the breaker. Sometime it will only run for may 15 to 20 min. then pop the breaker, any ideas?--Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Make sure the condenser coils is not plugged up with dirt/debris. A dirty coil will raise head pressure and cause it to draw excess current.

A slow running fan will can cause that also since it blows air over both coils.

Do you have a clamp-on meter to check current draw on the compressor?

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Smitty43

Thanks Bob, I also heard from a guy in the RV park that it may be due to low voltage in the park as it had never tripped the breaker before we came here. It was 107 yesterday and I am sure everyone was running all the AC they could get. But I will check into the dirty coils.---Smitty
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Yes, low voltage is also a possibility. I would get some kind of voltmeter that can be plugged into an outlet so that you can monitor line voltage. You are probably OK down to 108V, but running on anything lower is iffy as compressors don't like low voltage and these units don't monitor voltage. Maybe the newer ones with digital control do, but I can't verify that as my background is in marine air conditioners, not rooftops.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
bobbecky

Until the park resolves their voltage problem, I would not run the unit, or anything else that could be costly to replace or repair. It would cause me to be looking for a different park, if they do have that serious a voltage issue. Just because the breaker doesn't trip right away, doesn't mean there isn't damage being done to the compressor motor due to the heat buildup from the low voltage.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Smitty43

Yeah some of the park is newer than other part of the park. Today is never threw the breaker. The power company said that due to the heat yesterday and everyone running A/Cs they consider having a rolling blackout, however they decided not to go that route. But I do have a man coming out to check the voltage on my power pole and have talked to the park owner and he said he would do what needs to be done to get things operating right.