Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Mpmaes

Keystone Alpine

Just took our first trip in our brand new 2014 Alpine fifth wheel. It rained all night and woke up ti a soaked living room from the living room slide out. Any one know or had the same issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mpmaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and sorry about your first trip being a "duck soup" kind of morning

There are a lot of reasons why a slide might leak and not all of them are related to bad construction or improper assembly.

You have a wide rubber "flap" on both sides and the top of the slide, that "flap" folds in when retracting the slide and is SUPPOSED to fold out when the slide is extended. This is not the "slide seal" but is a weather diverter. Its function is to lay against the slide and as water runs down the side of the RV, it hits the "flap" and is diverted away from the seals.

If one of the corners didn't fold out, water could run into the RV from that spot. If the "flap" didn't fold out when the slide was extended, it would "invite" water into the RV.

I'd suggest you extend your slide, then go outside and look at the wide black rubber "flap" to make sure it's folded out and is in the correct position. If that's not the case, then maybe a call to the dealer to have him check it out !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Mpmaes

He thanks for that advise. I pray that was the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mpmaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
KanTC

I don't know that anyone here has done it, but I do recall reading that some folks use a bike rack on the pin box of the 5th wheel.
I'm not fond of linking to other RV forums but maybe this will give you some ideas?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/27576203.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#27680041

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
EVMIII

Did you find the source of your leak? Any updates? I am scheduled to pick my 2014 Alpine 3010RE tomorrow and I want to be on the lookout to try to avoid having the same problem. Good luck, happy camping.
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
ChuckS

Bummer with the water leak.. I notice on my Alpine sometimes one of the seals on either the inside or outside of the slide may have a small section that stays folded under slightly..

I simply take my fingers and gently position the seal correctly. I dont see this each and every time I extend the slides and not always on same slide.

I started using the silicon slide spray each time I open the slides on both inside and outside and since then the seals always seems to be correctly positioned both on inside and outside..

My Alpine is the 2014 3010RE
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Bob Landry

I was also wondering about a good rubber conditioner for my slide seals. I shy away from the WalMart off the shelf stuff like Armor All because some of the so-called conditioners actually break down rubber .

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Aerospace303 Protectant is a product that I would recommend for use on your slide seals. It is applied by some to the entire RV and won't harm the EPDM rubber roof should it come into contact with it. Some members use it to protect their decals.

It's a very good all-round product having multiple applications.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #9
bsmith0404

The main thing you have to look for in a rubber conditioner is that it is water based 303 is a good product along with many others. I buy a lot of products sold by autogeek. They own/sell 303, pinnacle, blackfire, Wolfgang, and a few others. All are quality products made to protect not damage. Armor All and othe petroleum based off the shelf products are made to look good short term not care for long term.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote