Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Maxzd

Home Made Solar Panel Brackets

I bought 2 Sharp 123 Watt Solar Panels and have been debating back and forth on how to install them. I was thinking about buying tilting brackets and have researched them for weeks online.. They range from 80 up to 150 bucks each.. I finally decided that even though tilting the solar panels has it's benefits it's another step.. I'll just to fix them to the roof of the unit like most people and be done with it...

So Rather than pay 40 bucks for "z" brackets I decided to make my own. Acquired 2 aluminum angled "L" rails about 6 feet each. One was bent, and didn't matter as it was getting cut down. Got them for a few bucks really cheap, not even sure what they were originally meant for.

Cut the larger aluminum rail into 2" L brackets. I needed 8 of them. Cut the smaller aluminum rail into 1 1/2 brackets. I needed 8 of those too. I drilled two 1/4" holes into each bracket, center of the top, center of the bottom. Then 16 bolts, lock washers and nuts later I created my own L brackets.

I had a piece of neoprene rubber kicking around so cut 2 pieces for each foot and siliconed them on. That way if the panels shift around ever, the L brackets won't cut into the rubber roof membrane on the RV.

As the roof is curved this setup is nice because it allows me to pivot the smaller bracket ever so slightly and flush with the curve of the roof.

Here are some pictures. Making the brackets and install time about 2 hours. I wasn't in a hurry and it was just me hauling these panels up to the roof on my own. Plus that included wiring up the two panels in parallel.

Last picture the panels are just sitting on the roof. I haven't bolted them down still debating best mounting spot. Also it was late in the day and going to rain tomorrow. I want the self leveling sealant to have some dry weather and sun. Later this week weather forecast looks better.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote