Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
BStiers

Smile Solar Power

I am interested in some ideas that people have tried and tested as far as going with some Solar Power.

My inital thought was to put in a bank of batteries and an inverter capable of suppling 30amps. Then I realized that I would need a LOT of batteries.

So I have revised my ideas to set up with 2 (maybe 4) trojan 105's and a solar panel to keep them charged.

What size panel should I use? has anyone tired this?

I have a Fuzion 360

Thanks
Bryan
BStiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have 2 Trojan 105's and supplement charging them with an 85 Watt Kyocera solar panel. This, I would suggest, is the minimum size panel you would want. If the batteries are in good shape, can hold a charge and you are not running a lot of 12v appliances (furnace motors, etc) or subjecting them to heavy, continuous use, then I would say that this set up would be sufficient. However, this may not be adequate for you and the way you utilize your 12v system.
Ideally, I would prefer to have 2 -100w panels but we don't put that much drain on our 12v system.

I do not have the panel mounted on the roof. There is too much stuff up there already and I hate drilling more holes to mount anything extra. It is "loose" and I place it on a home-made easel and anchor it down. When we leave the campsite, I take it off and slide it into tracks that I have made in the "ceiling" of the storage compartment.
Remember, that solar panels work well when the sun is out but their output really drops when it is cloudy. That is when a generator comes in handy.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Good idea Festus about your flexible mounting and storage solution.

I thought about going with a big time solar system but gave good thought about where my wife and I like to camp, we ALWAYS look for shady sites to keep out of the sun, not very conducive for good solar production.

If you do with a solar system buy three times the panels you think you will need.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStiers View Post
I am interested in some ideas that people have tried and tested as far as going with some Solar Power.

My inital thought was to put in a bank of batteries and an inverter capable of suppling 30amps. Then I realized that I would need a LOT of batteries.

So I have revised my ideas to set up with 2 (maybe 4) trojan 105's and a solar panel to keep them charged.

What size panel should I use? has anyone tired this?

I have a Fuzion 360

Thanks
Bryan
I started researching MPPT Solar Chargers before I bought my latest RV. MPPT Chargers increase charge current up to 30%. The benefits of MPPT solar charge controllers are greatest during cold weather, on cloudy or hazy days or when the battery is deeply discharged. They force the PV (photovolatic cells) in the solar panel to operate at voltage close to maximum power point to draw maximum available power...

The biggest drawback is cost.. They aren't cheap. I have a 25 Amp Blue Sky 2000E which cost me $250 bucks. I have seen cheap 25 amp non-mppt chargers go for less than half. It does make a difference. I get solar charge on my unit when a friend with similar setup without an MPPT Charger gets nothing in cloudy weather.

I have two 123Watt Sharp Solar Panels. They are rated at 7.4Amps Each.

I have 4 12Volt heavy duty batteries which equates to 400 amp hours. That's basically the weekly output of my two solar panels.

Here's a solar calculator that might help those who are trying to determine their needs. Good luck with your project!

http://rvsolarpanels.wordpress.com/2...el-calculator/

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote