Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The site says "out of stock". Makes me wonder if they stopped production as I haven't seen them on any other sites.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #62
bobbecky

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-King-...omotive&sr=1-6

http://trailerkingtires.com/tires/La...2-product-line
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #63
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
There are a number of problems with your reference. The first time the tire is described it does not describe the proper size designation (ST225/75R15). Load index numbers are not the official indicator for load capacity on ST or LT tires. Their load capacities are described with load range letters. NHTSA allows the load index numbers on the ST tires for proper identification of their speed rating. N=81 MPH for that tire.

Advertisements have a high probability of making such mistakes in tire identification. Even the most popular tire brand advertisements are often in error.

The official information describing the load range lettering as being the only acceptable indicator for ST & LT tires is hard to find. During the 2007 tire rules committee meeting the subject was addressed. NHTSA shelfed it for further discussions. During the 2010 meetings it was not taken off the shelf, thus it still remains official.

Yup, I do a lot of tire reading. Here is an example of the results of a rules committee.

https://cms8.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc...pth%20NPRM.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #64
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

And for less than $15/tire you can have a better and more reliable Carlisle. SMDH

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #65
JRTJH
Site Team

To put it into a perspective that works for me, I got sick eating a Wendy's chicken sandwich back around 2002. Now, just the smell of Wendy's is repulsive to me, so it goes without saying, I haven't been back inside a Wendy's since getting out of the hospital.

I'll post the photos of my Trailer King tires one more time. It goes without saying that the "shock value" of realizing how close I was to a major catastrophic tire failure is nearly as repulsive as the smell of Wendy's.

So, you won't find me smelling TK's and you won't find me parking my trailer at Wendy's. In fact, if BK or McD's are next door, I'll go to Subway to avoid the smell... Goes without saying, TK's aren't on my "most favored or most trusted" list.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	25019   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	25020   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	25021  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #66
mjsibe

Tires

I had Power King OEM
less than 9k miles but 5 years old
One just blew out no dry rot showed
I went up one size & load range
Being my wheels were rated to go up to load range D
Replaced 215 75 14 "C"
With Goodyear ENDURANCE 225 75 14 "D"
Not that I'm going to over load the trailer but as a safety
Measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-105014_Photos.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	25022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-105154_Photos.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	25023  
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsibe View Post
Not that I'm going to over load the trailer but as a safety
Measure.
A "layman's measure" is the concept that ST tires (being polyester corded) will weaken with use and age. The generally accepted formula for how much capacity ST tires lose is 10% capacity per year. So, if you've got a 30% excess when you install new tires, in 3 years you can pretty much "guess" that your tires are 30% "weaker" than they were when new. So, in 3 years you're "running at nearly max with no safety reserve and as you enter the 4th year, you're "in the red"...

If you think about ST tires in that perspective, then at 5 years (when most manufacturers recommend replacement) then they are at half their maximum load rating and it's time to pull them off, "for sure"....

While there are some "usage variables" such as running different pressures, different speeds, different loads, different turn/backing angles, different braking effort, accidental damage (hitting curbs, etc) that will change that 10% "generality", it's fairly safe to assume that 3-5 years is about all the "heavy use" most ST tires can take before considering replacement.

Some will say, "But, the manufacturer's say that a "expert tire inspection" annually after 3 years" or some other "extenuating factor", for most people who "run their ST tires at/very near the maximum capacity", it's better to be safe than to risk a $10,000 damage to their RV. With insurance, that $500 deductible is pretty much the same cost as new tires, so for most, it's a 1:1 investment.... That said, even the "expert inspection" wouldn't have identified my potential explosive tire failure without removing the tires to inspect inside the carcass. So, would inspection at the tire installation center have helped? Probably not.

Fortunately for all RV owners, Carfax doesn't monitor or report major damage to RV's, so nobody can "track damage on your trade-in" for devaluation purposes. But.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2020, 08:32 AM   #68
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As many times as folks new to the forum sign on, don't search the forum, and ask the question!
So true, I find it hard to drink from a fully open fire hose, lol

I have a couple of months before we take it anywhere...so tire shopping will be casual.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #69
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
So true, I find it hard to drink from a fully open fire hose, lol

I have a couple of months before we take it anywhere...so tire shopping will be casual.
It is a lot to absorb. For me the biggest eyeopener when we first started camping "off the ground" was the difference, or lack of, quality. Coming from years of owning boats, flying aircraft, working with electrical distribution and controls the first time I pulled the battery cover off I was appalled. No wiring conventions as to color of wires, fastener practices, etc. And while my expectations were not "aircraft quality" but I thought for sure it should exceed what a couple of 10 yr old Kids could do in their dad's shed.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #70
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To put it into a perspective that works for me, I got sick eating a Wendy's chicken sandwich back around 2002. Now, just the smell of Wendy's is repulsive to me, so it goes without saying, I haven't been back inside a Wendy's since getting out of the hospital.

I'll post the photos of my Trailer King tires one more time. It goes without saying that the "shock value" of realizing how close I was to a major catastrophic tire failure is nearly as repulsive as the smell of Wendy's.

So, you won't find me smelling TK's and you won't find me parking my trailer at Wendy's. In fact, if BK or McD's are next door, I'll go to Subway to avoid the smell... Goes without saying, TK's aren't on my "most favored or most trusted" list.....
Do you know that the primary cause of that sort of blister is under inflated tires?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Do you know that the primary cause of that sort of blister is caused by under inflated tires?
That might be "A" primary cause, but I can assure you that my tires, 225 75R15 LRD tires were never operated below 65PSI cold and never driven faster than 65MPH for the entire time I owned them. They were OEM tires, so I can't attest to how they were used from the factory to the dealership, but when I inspected the trailer (as it was being unhitched from the transport truck) the PSI in all the tires ranged from 68-70 PSI. I'd suspect that they were not operated underinflated, but I can't assure that fact. They never were underinflated while in my ownership. So, there "must be other causes" to go along with the "primary cause". Underinflation doesn't apply to those photos.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #72
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That might be "A" primary cause, but I can assure you that my tires, 225 75R15 LRD tires were never operated below 65PSI cold and never driven faster than 65MPH for the entire time I owned them. They were OEM tires, so I can't attest to how they were used from the factory to the dealership, but when I inspected the trailer (as it was being unhitched from the transport truck) the PSI in all the tires ranged from 68-70 PSI. I'd suspect that they were not operated underinflated, but I can't assure that fact. They never were underinflated while in my ownership. So, there "must be other causes" to go along with the "primary cause". Underinflation doesn't apply to those photos.
I don't have pics but the TK's that came on mine looked identical when I replaced them with Carlisles. They were never run low, and have had tpms on them when I first brought it home. Never run over 60-65 m.p.h. and no cuts or curb bruises. Mine were about 4 1/2 to 5 years old if I recall when replaced.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I think we've had this conversation before. If you recall I was told that the only reason for a tire failure was owner malfunction....a tire couldn't do that so.... Having had tires acknowledged to be defective in the past I know better so I just take it with a grain/dose of salt....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:23 AM   #74
notanlines

Let me sum up what has been said so far:
Trailer King Tires are simply an accident waiting to happen.
Trailer King Tires are trash tires that should be removed immediately.
Trailer King Tires are put on by factories to save money.
Trailer King Tires should be avoided at all costs.
Trailer King Tires will only blister and blow if abused by owner.

Four of the above statements are true. Each of you without personal knowledge of Trailer King Tires can sift through and figure out on your own which statement is false. And then take appropriate action.
Or you can stand along side the road with a hang-dog look on your face, your wife and kids frowning at you, and wait on roadside assistance to come and save your week-end.
Was this blunt enough?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #75
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Trailer King Tires are simply an accident waiting to happen.
Trailer King Tires are trash tires that should be removed immediately.
Trailer King Tires are put on by factories to save money.
Trailer King Tires should be avoided at all costs.
Trailer King Tires will only blister and blow if abused by owner.

Four of the above statements are true. Each of you without personal knowledge of Trailer King Tires can sift through and figure out on your own which statement is false. And then take appropriate action.
Or you can stand along side the road with a hang-dog look on your face, your wife and kids frowning at you, and wait on roadside assistance to come and save your week-end.
Was this blunt enough?
Blunt enough??? For most, Hell Yeah. For some, Nah, Keystone will "cheap out" in everything else, workforce quality, component quality, build quality, inspection quality, BUT THEY SPARE NO EXPENSE TO PUT THE BEST AVAILABLE TIRES ON THEIR TRAILERS..... Yeah, and the sun comes up in the west, starting tomorrow morning.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #76
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
A. Trailer King Tires are simply an accident waiting to happen.
B. Trailer King Tires are trash tires that should be removed immediately.
C. Trailer King Tires are put on by factories to save money.
D. Trailer King Tires should be avoided at all costs.
E. Trailer King Tires will only blister and blow if abused by owner.

Was this blunt enough?
OH!, OH! (Raising hand wildly ) The answer is E!

notanlines I took the liberty of assigning letters, please forgive me.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #77
Gunny Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Alrighty then...lol. I was gonna say they only have about 4k miles and were stored indoors but I was afraid you all would have horror stories anyway. And I was right to be afeared of them.
I bought Goodyear endurance for my last trailer and went from Cs to Ds only because the wheels matched the load. I'll have to check out what these wheels are good for to see if I can up the tires a bit.
Thanks for all the comments, which are unanimous!
BTW, this unit may suffer from non-use. I think the dump seals are leaky also. I'm just getting into it and am not sure what else I may find wrong...
My 2019 341RD has them too and we experienced a blow out 10 months after purchase. I'm swapping them out this spring and going with Carlisle or Goodyear. I'm going to add a TPMS too. We were lucky to have somebody warn us before it shredded on Interstate 10 North of Gulf Shores.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #78
Gunny Mike

Sounds like the quality of an Outback is no diffrent then our first TT a 1988 Fleetwood Prowler. That one had window leaks from day one. I ended up replacing the clay putty strips around each window. Found that when a wood screw in and didn't hold tightly they didn't care and just moved on. They could of added some glue and two toothpicks, but didn't care about quality.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #79
Gegrad

Quote:
Blunt enough??? For most, Hell Yeah. For some, Nah, Keystone will "cheap out" in everything else, workforce quality, component quality, build quality, inspection quality, BUT THEY SPARE NO EXPENSE TO PUT THE BEST AVAILABLE TIRES ON THEIR TRAILERS..... Yeah, and the sun comes up in the west, starting tomorrow morning.....

Yeah, they same company that had the brilliant idea to leave exposed DARCO in the wheel wells of their trailers puts only the BEST tires on their trailers.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:07 AM   #80
Gunny Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post

Yeah, they same company that had the brilliant idea to leave exposed DARCO in the wheel wells of their trailers puts only the BEST tires on their trailers.
If i have to swapout my tires, that tells me my next RV purchase won't be Keystone product. I might deliver these tires to the Keystone HQ myself and let them have them back.

Tags
tires