Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
maineman

Black water flush valve

Anybody know the location of the black water flush valve in a 2020 Cougar 25RES fifth wheel. I called the dealer and the manufacturer niether knew as they do not have as built plans. Who runs a business like that!
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineman View Post
Anybody know the location of the black water flush valve in a 2020 Cougar 25RES fifth wheel. I called the dealer and the manufacturer niether knew as they do not have as built plans. Who runs a business like that!
You WILL NOT find asbuilt schematics for any any make, model, floorplan of any RV on the market, their plans change on the fly & they could never ever keep up with all the changes.
So the answer to your question of "who runs a business like that" would be the rv industry, hasn't changed in the past 20 years & not likely to in the next 20.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

To my knowledge and experiences Jayco will still send schematics. Doesn’t mean they will match the unit in front of you.

OP: popular places for the anti siphon valve include under the bathroom sink and in the wall behind the shower faucet knobs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chances are it's under the bathroom vanity, WAY UP close to the faucet connections. Open your vanity door, count the water lines. If there's two (a red and a blue) then it's not there. If there's four (a red, a blue and two white 1/2" PEX lines) the anti-siphon valve is located on the top of the two white lines.

Here's a photo of what it looks like and one of where it's probably located..... Notice that in the bottom photo, the anti-siphon valve is tucked up behind the sink bowl, nearly impossible to see unless you get on your hands and knees, inside the vanity while looking up.

As for "as built information", every RV manufactured is "put together by human hands" (unlike the automobile industry which uses robots for much of the assembly). Because "humans are not as precise as robots" things will change, sometimes so dramatically that things can't be recognized, so "as built" is not documented or guaranteed to be even somewhat close to accurate.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank antisiphon valve.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	24748   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK TANK FLUSH VALVE CORRECTION.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24749  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
maineman

Must be great to build a product and not how much it cost. How would they know what the cost of water lines wires etc. in each unit? Seems like a funny way of running a business.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Must be great to build a product and not how much it cost. How would they know what the cost of water lines wires etc. in each unit? Seems like a funny way of running a business.
I’m willing to bet “they” know pretty much exactly how much it costs per unit to build.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
And yet they they make billions each year. It sounds like it is working for them.

You may want to write Thor Industries and ask. They are not on this forum and are the only ones who can answer your questions about their business practices.

Lots of things about RVs don't make sense to us. I don't think any of us are holding our breath waiting on them to change.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Probably very simple, take the number of units produced (in the thousands) divide by the number of feet of pipe or wire purchased (in the tens of thousands) then multiply by the cost per foot (most likely well under a dollar when purchased by the foot.)

I can't speak for them but I don't think it would be rational, nor logical or useful to know that unit 1,986 cost $2 more than unit 1,987.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Building them fast with (cheap) Amish labor saves more than counting widgets. When they are selling them as fast as they can make them, just ain't no time for measuring and reading blueprints.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
travelin texans

If you've looked closely into the belly of these beast you'll find that those folks aren't too concerned with how much of anything they use to build them, you'll find hands full of screws, several feet of wire, even found a DeWalt drill/driver in the underbelly of my friends 5th wheel. Their only concern is get it out the door as fast as possible so we can go home!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
efrulla

I own a 2017 Cougar Xlite 25RES. My flush valve is located in the same location as the city water valve. Surprised that yours is not there.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
LBelanger

Quote:
In my 2018 Bullet 248RKSWE it’s on the port side to the left of the awning leg. I’ve never used it, but that’s what the tag next to it says! Have I misunderstood your question?
LBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
LHaven

It's sort of humorous, but by my estimation, the phrase "black water flush valve" is just ambiguous enough that an OP who posts imprecisely could be asking about any of three things:

1) The pull valve to "flush" (empty) his black tank;
2) The backflow preventer valve for the clean-water flush on his black tank;
3) The input hose connector for that clean-water flush system (yeah, not a valve, but.)

So I hope he got what he wanted from at least one of you!
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
maineman

True, ment to say check valve. I think it's behind the faucet in the shower
Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
atownmike55

My 2019 25RES 's "Sani Flush" valve is located with the pull handles for black and grey tanks. It also has the hookup for solar which I have used to recharge every day. Just got back from a 4 dayer to the beach (Doheny St Park Dana Point) and never fired up the generator with my Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase and 2 batteries. Ran the light at night and the heater in the moring. AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!
atownmike55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #16
rlh1957

Under the bathroom sink usually. Easily replaced. If unit is new and you can't back flush your black tank they installed it backwards. The water flow goes one way only.
I have a 2020 Cougar and it was installed backwards.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #17
Garry hunter

Back flow valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Under the bathroom sink usually. Easily replaced. If unit is new and you can't back flush your black tank they installed it backwards. The water flow goes one way only.
I have a 2020 Cougar and it was installed backwards.
Thanks to JRTJH's pictures and your information, helps to explain the water under the bathroom sink in my 2020 Cougar. My wife explained the situation to our service manager and he gave her a 90^ elbow to replace the back flow valve. First time post, long time follower.
Garry hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry hunter View Post
Thanks to JRTJH's pictures and your information, helps to explain the water under the bathroom sink in my 2020 Cougar. My wife explained the situation to our service manager and he gave her a 90^ elbow to replace the back flow valve. First time post, long time follower.
If you use that 90 degree elbow to replace the anti-siphon valve under the sink, be DOUBLY SURE not to use your fresh water hose to connect to the black tank flush system. A part of the anti-siphon valve function is to prevent even the "gasses that carry bacteria" from "burping up the line" and then flowing through that elbow and the "easy float down to the connector on the sidewall"...

Actually, nobody should be using the fresh water components, hose, regulator, adapters, etc with the black tank flush system, but it's even more hazardous if the only protective device to prevent backflow has been removed and replaced with a "open tube that directly connects the inside to the outside".....

To be honest, I wonder if, depending on your location and the local/state laws in your area, whether he "broke the law" by giving you a open elbow to replace an environmental safety device....

While many people "do that on their own" for someone at a licensed repair facility to do it ???? That's sort of like Midas Muffler cutting off catalytic converters and replacing them with flow-through exhaust pipe... Many do it, but for someone with a license to bypass the system ???

ADDED: If this sounds "inconsequential", remember what the "world" did to Volkswagen for "fudging on diesel emissions testing".... Same situation, different system.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

I thought the same thing, that guy may have broke the law, at the very least was not a good move on his part.

It's there for a reason and the reason is not to annoy you but to prevent things like: cholera, dysentery, E coli diarrhea, salmonella or shigella; viral infections that are transmitted fecally include rotavirus, norovirus (which causes food poisoning on cruise ships), and hepatitis A and E , parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidium, and various different kinds of worms including pinworms, ascariasis and tapeworms.

If this scares the Bejesus out of you it should.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
Garry hunter

Thank you for your concern for our health. I will not be attempting this fix.
Even if I was going to, as you can see in the pic, the valve is in a very tight spot, and I have very large hands!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_104832.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	24851  
Garry hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water