Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Txclutch93

2002 keystone Springdale landing gear

I have a 2002 Keystone Springdale, and the electric landing gear is having issues raising and lowering. I'm about to move it this weekend, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of how to manually do it? Any help is mu appreciated. Thanks
Txclutch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Hey Sutherland Springs! Howdy. Is your old camper a 5th wheel? Front landing gear? Are you connected to shore power or have the truck connected by the 7 pin? What is the difficulty you are having specifically? BTW: I am out in Medina County east of SATX...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
Txclutch93

Yes it's a 5th wheel, connected to shore power right now. Maybe when I hook up to the 7 pin it will have enough juice to operate correctly, as it seems there's just not enough power to move them, but if not, it's a good idea to know how to operate the jacks manually. I won't be in Sutherland springs much longer, sure will be glad to get my trailer out of here!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:36 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txclutch93 View Post
Yes it's a 5th wheel, connected to shore power right now. Maybe when I hook up to the 7 pin it will have enough juice to operate correctly, as it seems there's just not enough power to move them, but if not, it's a good idea to know how to operate the jacks manually. I won't be in Sutherland springs much longer, sure will be glad to get my trailer out of here!
In my 2002 Cougar 5th wheel there is a crank to lift/lower the landing gear manually but have never done it. The crank is hanging in the front storage compartment. You would have the best luck being connected to 30A shore power as the power comes from your battery via the converter. I suggest you might want to get your battery load tested especially if you don't know its history. Auto part shop can do it. The 7 pin takes quite awhile to charge up a battery and suspect the tow vehicle needs to be running.

I am sure someone on this forum knows the procedure for manually raising your landing gear and hope they jump in soon.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
jsb5717

The problem could be a failing motor, or worn gears, a bad switch, or a loose wire. It will need some troubleshooting.

In the meantime, the older, non-self-leveling landing gear can be raised/lowered with a crank handle similar to the pic below. There should be a hole on the outside of the trailer on the driver's side just above the landing gear into which you insert the crank handle and go to work. The trailer would have come with that handle. If you don't have one you can buy one lot's of places online

If you have worn gears you might still have some trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Gear Crank.png
Views:	53
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	43648  
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The problem could be a failing motor, or worn gears, a bad switch, or a loose wire. It will need some troubleshooting.

In the meantime, the older, non-self-leveling landing gear can be raised/lowered with a crank handle similar to the pic below. There should be a hole on the outside of the trailer on the driver's side just above the landing gear into which you insert the crank handle and go to work. The trailer would have come with that handle. If you don't have one you can buy one lot's of places online

If you have worn gears you might still have some trouble.
^^^ This....

My "hole" is inside the propane compartment, right between the two bottles. I have to remove the tank hold down bracket to get the hand crank into the hole, then go inside the front compartment to "guide the fitting on the motor shaft extension. Then, it's "crank away for seemingly hours with lots of sweat" to get the trailer to lift a couple inches.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Thanks John, my Cougar has no outside hole but the driver side propane compartment is adjacent to the landing gear motor. I can imagine that the raising part has little mechanical advantage and sounds like a lot of work. Good to know info.

David hope this info helps. Why will you be glad to get your camper out of there? Just curious.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
Txclutch93

Too much drama, too many thieves and addicts.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Sorry to hear that; that area used to be pretty quiet if memory serves. Medina County is now seeing tons of bailouts, LEO chases and crashes, etc. Thankfully we are hard to find (off the beaten track).
Old 04-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Several RV's around this area were ending up "stolen, made into meth labs, and when they burned to the ground, they'd steal another one"... That's one reason we built our pole barn, to keep the trailer "out of sight/out of mind"... It also helps keep it out of the snow for 6 months a year

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #11
Txclutch93

No snow to worry about here... I found where the crank goes, and a crank, and also found out the switch to charge my batteries off the inverter/110 was off, it's on now, towing it out Sunday, hopefully the landing gear is under it's own power!
Old 07-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #12
rickg2727

where was this switch if i can ask?
rickg2727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, landing gear, springdale