Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2023, 05:15 AM   #21
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoTocino View Post
Can we all just take a deep breath and not respond if you don't have experience with the thing being asked about? Asking for a friend....
One post. ONE! And for a friend. You should have passed. 🤣
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:36 AM   #22
RonaldoTocino

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
One post. ONE! And for a friend. You should have passed. 🤣
I congratulate you on your 240 posts. The idea that a lot of posts correlate with the information that folks are looking for is silly. Just pointing out if you have to excuse yourself for not having any experience in the first statement then it's ok to not post at all. Maybe it discourages people from asking or sharing useful things they know?
RonaldoTocino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #23
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
I congratulate you on your 240 posts. The idea that a lot of posts correlate with the information that folks are looking for is silly. Just pointing out if you have to excuse yourself for not having any experience in the first statement then it's ok to not post at all. Maybe it discourages people from asking or sharing useful things they know?
Needed a good laugh, thank you for making my morning.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:07 AM   #24
Jonahex2099

Quote:
So, instead of just ignoring the "irrelevant" posts you felt the need to create an account and play post cop? If you were looking for info on Starlink Roam you could have simply ignored the posts you felt weren't relevant. The energy you wasted setting up an account simply to derail a thread could have been much less had you just scrolled along. Seems equally if not more silly to me....But hey, you do you...

At any rate...to get the thread *back* on track - *FROM EXPERIENCE* (for those in the cheap seats)...

We've been parked in a de-prioritized area for a few days now, and based on trees in the park, I ended up having to use the flagpole mount for under the hitch block I bought. Pretty stable with acceptable sway. Consistent speeds from 95 to 190 down depending on time of day - I spent most of yesterday working and on Webex calls - not a hitch, no VPN drops. I tend to go to bed late so the last few nights I've streamed from various services on my Apple TV and zero glitches, hiccups in any hi def stream. Range is great off of the Starlink router.

Next up is modifying the cable so I don't have to route it through the outdoor kitchen door into the rig. Our Passport has an outdoor storage compartment in the side of the slide that is center mass, which conveniently has the entertainment cabinet on the inside wall. I'll document that process and do a separate post for it.

Completely worth the expense for someone who has been wanting the ability to work from anywhere.

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:26 AM   #25
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
I don't use the included Starlink router, I use my own. You can cover as big as you want with the right equipment. My son has it at his cottage and covers a few miles. But the Starlink router ain't bad for small areas.
Great invention for sure.
Quote:
Can we all just take a deep breath and not respond if you don't have experience with the thing being asked about? Asking for a friend....
I there may have been a misunderstanding on the part of Ronald Tocino. What Geek Squad said was, he didn’t use the “INCLUDED” router. The 2 parts to the Starlink system are the antenna “dish” and the router. Many owners of the mobile RV version have changed the 120 volt requirement using a 12V to 48V transformer to insert power through an aftermarket device to the Starlink’s antenna which also lends to using a different router (if wanted) to increase range. The directional router Geek Squad mentioned, that broadcast for several miles would have been a unidirectional one not a 360 pattern like Starlink’s included one. Although post #1 was only looking for comments about like-ability, there may be some who dry camp that would be interested in how to remake the Starlink system to operate on 12 volts.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:05 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Actually the OPs question was pretty open ended. From purchase for the RV, to home, fixed vs portable and location of the antenna. Any/all information that members have or have read about would be pertinent trying to help the OP get answers to what he asked and things he may not have known to ask as a non user of Starlink. It's a newer technology gaining traction in the RV world and the experiences/knowledge shared by members helps all that may be interested in it.

These threads can wander a bit. If there is something you feel you don't like skip it and read what you do like. You will find you don't have the time to try to police every post you don't think fits the exact topic you think it should...and it's not productive for members anyway.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:55 AM   #27
Kzneft

I absolutely love my Starlink. Although a little pricey, it works fantastic. I consistently get 100mbps where ever we are. I can stream movies, and everyone in my camp can use the wifi for calls on their cell phones. Plus when winter hits you can stop service until you are ready to camp in the spring.,
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:27 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Good video that explores Starlink and other options:

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:07 AM   #29
Wyldfire

No available at Best Buy and Home Depot at a discount.
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/depot
Old 06-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #30
Kzneft

Just an update 06/06/2023. Went camping in Goblin Valley (UT) last week. Connected my Starlink and was terrific !! 140+mbps. I got tired of climbing up the ladder to put up the dish, so I made some 3D printed parts so I can just pull a robe and have it tilt above the roof. If anyone wants the models just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR1232.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	44147   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2192.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	44148  
Old 06-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #31
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
Just an update 06/06/2023. Went camping in Goblin Valley (UT) last week. Connected my Starlink and was terrific !! 140+mbps. I got tired of climbing up the ladder to put up the dish, so I made some 3D printed parts so I can just pull a robe and have it tilt above the roof. If anyone wants the models just let me know.
Got any pics of what you made? I’m interested…
Old 06-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #32
Paul Cartland

I'm interested too. I expect delivery of mine to Home Depot tomorrow. I'm looking at the EEZ RV RV ladder pole and mount but it's just more money.
pulled with a 2021 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
Paul Cartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #33
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cartland View Post
I'm interested too. I expect delivery of mine to Home Depot tomorrow. I'm looking at the EEZ RV RV ladder pole and mount but it's just more money.
I bought the harbor freight telescoping pole, along with a bumper mount flagpole mount and an under tire mount (I put this under the block under the tongue jack when I use it). I think I spent a total of $150 on the stuff to mount at either end of the camper...but then I'm an engineer at heart so this sort of stuff is fun.

I also spent about $50 on stuff to add an external jack and modify the starlink cable with rj45 connectors so I can just plug the dish into the side of the rig. The router is mounted behind my TV central to the camper. Been testing this in my B&M driveway all week and it's solid.

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #34
Kzneft

Starlink pics

Here are the pics of my setup. I little hard to see since my RV is parked close to the fence, but I took a picture of my 3d models. If you have access to a 3D printer I can give you the STL models. Total cost for everything was probably about $20. No more climbing up the ladder with one hand and a 20 lb dish! Not showing but I mounted the dish on the pvc pipe, then drilled a 3/16" hole through the pvc and bottom of dish mount just to keep it from falling off the pole while pulling up. Just a 3/16 bolt with a wing nut to take off when not using. A 3/8" hole at bottom of the pvc pipe to mount on the bottom mount. I keep the pvc pipe inside the trailer while traveling, and just wrap the rope around the ladder while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	44159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	44160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	44161  
Old 08-18-2023, 02:26 AM   #35
RCo

The problem I have with Starlink is obstructions, if you don't have clear view it won't hold connection.
RCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:16 AM   #36
Kzneft

Yes, you are correct. I usually don't have obstructions, but having it a little higher than the trailer helps.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #37
John&Deb

Starlink has been great

We got Starlink so that the wife can work from wherever we are. We have the portable one. I believe the stationary one is meant to stay in one place. Initially we tried to switch to Starlink for both home and travel, but when we took it for travel, our home had no wifi and that messed up our gardening system, our ring doorbell security system, etc. So for us we need to have wifi that remains on at home at all times. Our portable Starlink has worked great everywhere so far and set up is very straightforward. We really like that we can pause the service when we are not travelling and then turn it on and pay only for the months we use it - the billing is monthly. We usually set it up somewhere on the ground near our rig. Windy conditions can cause some disruptions and occasionally, briefly we will not have service for a few minutes when a satellite is out of range - which we can track on the app provided.
John&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote