Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2023, 12:57 PM   #21
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Custer State Park is an excellent place. We sat (in the truck) right in the middle of the bison heard as they made their way across to road to their grazing area. Needles Hwy is dicey at best, especially in the summer with traffic. There are 3-4 tunnels that are VERY Narrow....

If you are coming from Detroit, you should be coming by the Badlands National Park. If you are not familiar with it, check it out. I loved the scenery. It took about 3 hours to drive through. We stopped many times to take photos.

Another cool place in that general vicinity is Devils Tower.
Yep, the Black Hills are one our favorite places to visit.

We do this on the Harley though, the week before the Sturgis rally.
A week riding the Black Hills on a Harley is great.

Devils Tower is my wife's favorite!
Another favorite is Spearfish Canyon.

You haven't lived until you are sitting on a motorcycle stuck in traffic just a few feet away from one of the big bull bison!
Sit still and don't get off the bike or try to reach out to them in any way and they will leave you alone.

This one decided to stop on his way across the road right in front of us.
We just shut the bike off and waited for the herd to move on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	43192
Old 03-02-2023, 01:42 PM   #22
locomech

[QUOTE={tpc};529854] I also need to find a way around chicago, as I have no desire to pull my trailer through downtown chicago lol. I have the RV life app, so I need to do a route with that to see whats up.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go through Chicago, I used to live there. May I suggest you consider taking I-80 to I-39. Take 39 north toward Rockford and pick up I-90 around Baraboo Wisconsin, then 90 west all the way to the Black Hills.

There is no easy way around Chicago, but at least I-80 will keep you out of the Chicago Loop with all the traffic, construction and road ragers . As you're coming out of Indiana on I-80 there's a section of highway called the Frank Borman Expressway. Expressway it is not, it's a heavily traveled truck corridor and there is no good time to travel it. This will be the most painful part of the trek around Chicago.

Once you pick up I-39 it won't be too bad until you get near Rockford, where the truck traffic picks up a little but not as bad as the Borman. After getting into Wisconsin you should be fine the rest of the way.

Don't trust the GPS as your going around Chicago, it'll want to take you the shortest, fastest way and that will be the way you don't want to go. Have a good navigator that can read a map to verify the GPS is keeping you on the right route. Sounds like a great trip, have fun and stay safe.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #23
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yep, the Black Hills are one our favorite places to visit.

We do this on the Harley though, the week before the Sturgis rally.
A week riding the Black Hills on a Harley is great.

Devils Tower is my wife's favorite!
Another favorite is Spearfish Canyon.

You haven't lived until you are sitting on a motorcycle stuck in traffic just a few feet away from one of the big bull bison!
Sit still and don't get off the bike or try to reach out to them in any way and they will leave you alone.

This one decided to stop on his way across the road right in front of us.
We just shut the bike off and waited for the herd to move on.
Attachment 43192

Been there, done that, have a great Buffalo story for ya where we were "literally" saved by a local in a truck. LMAO, can laugh about it now but crappin bricks at the time. We to love to ride the area. Don't go to Sturgis anymore though, we do our rally at Bikefest in Osage. Like it a lot better.
Just can't get enough of the Black Hills though, still ride up there every couple to 3 yrs.

You will love the Black Hills. Take in all the sites you can, yes, Wind Cave is cool to. Sooo much to do. HAVE FUN !!!!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:57 AM   #24
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
…I also need to find a way around chicago, as I have no desire to pull my trailer through downtown chicago lol. I have the RV life app, so I need to do a route with that to see whats up.
Good Luck. On our last trip to Custer State Park/Yellowstone/Tetons from Pittsburgh, we got stuck in a 3 hour delay halfway through Chicago due to an accident. I vowed to never tow near Chicago again.

On our return trip we picked up I-74 to avoid Chicago. It was less trafficked and rural, but we hit world record potholes near Peoria hard enough to break items off of the camper. Extremely lucky that we had no tire failures. It was the worst interstate I’ve driven. It would probably take you too far south as it goes through Indy.

As stated many times, do not skip Crazyhorse, and while traveling needles, do not pass Sylvan Lake. Get out and walk over towards the rocks for some beautiful picture opportunities
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:07 AM   #25
rlh1957

Ed of July prices will really go up in anticipation for Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Teo weeks before and after rally lots of full camping spots.

Main thing is know your rig’s width & height.
You’d be surprised the number of people that still think their rig can fit snd ignore the signs and “last turn around opportunity”
They either get stuck or decide at the end they can’t make it and back up traffic.

There are plenty of accurate height & width signs and warnings for turn around.

But the beauty is not to be missed!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:14 AM   #26
cdigger67

You will be asked to stop at Wall Drug all the way there. You can't avoid it, but it is worth the time.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigger67 View Post
You will be asked to stop at Wall Drug all the way there. You can't avoid it, but it is worth the time.
Are they still offering the free glass of water?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:26 AM   #28
cdigger67

As far as I know, yes. For weary travelers.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #29
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Are they still offering the free glass of water?
Ha! 100 miles worth of billboards still say it! The hot donuts there are a big hit.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:13 AM   #30
Rdynbama

I’m guessing an F450 with no rv is still out of the question for the Needles Hwy?
Asking for a friend!

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #31
notanlines

Bama, you will make the tunnels, but very close and careful of the hips.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:03 PM   #32
AF0DJ

Best Steak Supper in the Hills

While in the 'Hills try to hit the "Alpine Inn" in Hill City for supper some evening (except Sunday-closed then). Folks gather there around 5:30PM or sometimes a bit earlier to get their names on the list, grab a beverage and hang around on the veranda (or inside in the bar) until called.
You'll only be asked two questions:
"Large or small?" and "how do you want it cooked?".
You'll get an extremely good filie mignon, a baked potato, and a wedge of lettuce with their house dressing.
It just might end up being one of the best small steaks you've eaten in a loooog while. And for a price not far removed from the cost of a hamburger at any major airport in our country. It's where I take any visitors when I really want to show off a bit.
Oh yes....the F450 will have no troubles with any of our tunnels. Full sized tour busses go through even the "needles eye". Admittedly they go really slow but they do fit. I cheat and pull my mirror in first but I really wouldn't have to if I wanted to concentrate a bit more....grin.
Full disclosure = I grew up in the Black Hills and we still live very close. (New Underwood,SD).
AF0DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:36 PM   #33
notanlines

Maybe the best Monte Cristo ever (at lunch only I believe)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:17 PM   #34
ranch.manager

'fort We Like It

We did Custer and Badlands a few years back. Original reservation was in a KOA in Custer, they promised us shade, not a tree in the campground. Got online found Fort We Like It and drove there the same day to see if they had an opening. They did but we would have to move in the midst of our week in the area. We jumped on the reservation. That evening the owner came by the KOA to tell us they had a cancellation and that we could keep the same spot the entire week. Excellent campground. As others have mentioned Custer State park, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorial ( laser light show), Wind Cave.

Time permitting try going to Badlands, it is worth the trip ( though I would recommend finding a campground for a few days). One of the neatest tours was the minute man missile silos.
https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm
Our guide was a retired veteran who served in the silo. They only sell tickets the days of the tours so you have to get in line early if you want a spot. The elevator was meant for two individuals, though I think there were 6 guests and the guide. Well worth getting up early to get inline for the tour. Can't wait to take our granddaughter there.

Lots to do and see. ENJOY.
ranch.manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:53 PM   #35
mikec557

Quote:
Headed to Mt. Rushmore in the beginning of July from Detroit. Anything I should be aware of with respects to pulling the trailer? Looks like some toll roads along the way, but I have just done a cursory google map to the area so far.
Minute Man Missile National Historic Site Visitors Center is only about 1.5 hours from Mount Rushmore. Just sayin...

And then there's Devil's Tower WY (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) about 2.5hrs away. Again, just sayin.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:01 PM   #36
Rdynbama

Ten four, it probably won’t be this year but it’s on the list. This we have 31 nights in Michigan and gonna try boon docking and Harvest Hosts there and back and hopefully catch the Ark in Kentucky on the way home.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:06 AM   #37
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Don't worry, your F150 will fit through any tunnels up there, maybe a little tight, just don't attempt the camper. LOL I was there once personally when a guy attempted to drive a motorhome through the Needles Eye tunnel. Needless to say, he got it stuck good. Had to get a Semi Truck tower up there to pull him out of it. Tore it up big time.
I have done it more than once with a Dually. A little snug but it cleared.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:18 AM   #38
Bugz1985

The pic of that tunnel looks iffy at best for the f150 to fit through? I make it with my 350 Dually
Bugz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #39
Jawplw

Quote:
Headed to Mt. Rushmore in the beginning of July from Detroit. Anything I should be aware of with respects to pulling the trailer? Looks like some toll roads along the way, but I have just done a cursory google map to the area so far.
I have gone to Mt. Rushmore with kids and grandkids. I always go at night best show ever. When music starts and then they light up the Mt.
this has always been big hit with all my kids.
Jawplw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #40
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Ten four, it probably won’t be this year but it’s on the list. This we have 31 nights in Michigan and gonna try boon docking and Harvest Hosts there and back and hopefully catch the Ark in Kentucky on the way home.
Sounds like a great trip. The Ark Encounter is on our list for next year (God willing). Would love to experience that. Have fun!!!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote