Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

fresh water tank

Well I purchased a 2019 Hideout and pulled it to storage. I was looking underneath and the white gate valve appeared to be set at an angle. Then I noticed the insulation had dropped in a seam across from the valve, oh oh. So today I brought my canon and crawled under, yep, the valve had been damageds, no sign of being struck, but someone had cut away the insulation, and put some kind of goop around the valve. About 1/2 of it was gone. I piulled the gate valve open, and there was ice in the hole,, Now I know it wasn't prop[erly winterized, as the sticker in the window stated. We were told all the P traps had anti freeze in them. Tomorow I have 2 things to check, the p traps, and the water heater. I'll pull the plug and see what is there.
I haven't even used this unit yet. I sent pictures to the dealer, and asked the customer service man for help. I can't see how this was not discovered beforew thewy sold it, and now I have doubts about the claim it had been winterized..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7849.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	38239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7850.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	38240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7851.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	38241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7833.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	38242  
Rob1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #2
dutchmensport

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at in the first 3 photos, It's too much of a close up.

If you do not see any evidence of pink stuff (any kind of spots, pink stuff in the toilet bottom, or splatters from any of the sinks or shower, then it's possible the camper was wintnerized by blowing the lines out, instead of using the pink stuff RV antifreeze.

You should be able to flip on the on-board water pump. It will start to run and begin pumping air. That's OK. It won't pressurize either. But turn on a faucet and see what happens. If the faucet spits clear water, it's not been winterized. If it spits nothing, it's probably been winterized with air. If it spits pink stuff, then it's been winterized with RV antifreeze. Once something spits, even a few find drops, you'll see what's going on. Then just turn the water pump back off and you'll know.

The only thing you can do for frozen pipes and valves is get them thawed out, melted, and hope nothing broke or cracked. If they did, the broken affected part of the plumbing has to bee replaced.

So, if you have a valve that's frozen, you'll just have to wait for things to thaw out or get the camper under cover in a warmer building so it can thaw. Then you'll know what's going on.

Also, simply remove the p-traps under the sink. It they have pink stuff in them, at least some got poured down the drain.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

upside down

Those firstthree shots are of the gate valve that drains the frsh water tank. When I pulled open the valve, mthere was ice up in the nipple. It is up side down, from me crawling under there. It also appears the water ran across the black cover and the seam broke dropping one side down. I'll get a dealer that I just bought it from to look at it.. That valve coming down at an angle, made me crawl under to look, and there is a large part where somethng had once been smeared on,m dropped off.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:21 AM   #4
{tpc}

This is the second time in the last couple weeks I’ve seen this gate valve setup for draining the FW tank. I didn’t even know it was a thing. The goop around it was probably to reseal it. Last one I saw wasn’t even there…it had come clear off driving down the road and the OP didn’t know it until the first time he went to fill it..1-2 years later.

Pink stuff doesn’t go in the FW tank (at least for me) so I’m not surprised to see ice in that area. I would probably loosen the low point drains and see if pink runs out of there when you do or pink slush. If it does then they probably ran antifreeze through the system. If not, then maybe just blew air through it.

I do both when I winterize. Overkill I know, but makes me feel better. And have yet to have an issue. So if it ain’t broke…lol.

Look in the toilet. I would expect some pink in the bowl, but not if just blown out.

When it’s warmer I’d look closely at that gate valve, how it’s attached and sealed. Seems like could be a failure point down the road. My first trailer just had a cap like the low point to drain the FW, my current one has a petcock type valve on the end of a hose, you just open it. The gate works faster and probably gets more out, but I bet still some left, that’s why you saw ice. A little water in there should be able to freeze safely as it would have room to expand without breaking anything.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:46 AM   #5
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

fresh water tank.

Ya, I was on the road sie looking under at the trailer, and saw the seam by the roadside wheels was drooping. So I crawled up there. It had to have been a water leak. Then I looked across just behind the rear wheel I saw this valave, but it was bent at a weird angle. Also noticed the tape around the valve was exsessive, so I pried it back and found whatappears to have been an attempt to seal a crack around the valve where it connects to the tank. I have enough plumbing experience to tell me this is not going to work. You can see where sealnat was and has broken free, Ya when I call the dealer Monday, I need him to understand, this needs a new tank.. I pulled it home from the dealer, then to storage. The valves on the hot ater tank are line up in the "on" position. What I expect was done to winterizer, was the sink valves and showers were opened, and they simply let the water in the lines gravity drain. The tech told me they dumped anti freeze in all the "P" traps. No air apparently used, which may be ok, if the water drained out the 2 low point drains. Not th way I would do it.. But seeing he valves on the water tank open, I hope to hell there wasn't anti freeze in the water lines.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #6
Lee

Hi,

This is the first time I have heard of a gate valve on the FWT.

I wonder if this was factory installed or the previous owner installed it?

I would think if factory installed it would have been "Plasti-welded" in place and not require "goop" to seal it.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #7
{tpc}

Yes lee, new to me as well. But saw the same setup on a 2020 FR product like a week ago. In that case the valve was completely missing, and there was what appeared to be a “crack” around the hole where the valve was attached.

The discussion went to whole tank replacement pretty quick, because there wasn’t a good way to put a new gate valve on there and seal it.

If I was getting the whole tank replaced, I would see if there was an option to put in a tank without a gate valve and just a regular drain hose, and also ask them to beef up the strapping of the tank underneath while they were in there.

Rob, you should be able to pull the anode rod on the hw tank to check that.

They may have just dumped the FW tank as much as possible, turned on the pump and pushed as much air and water out, dumped the HW tank, let the low points drain, and poured pink stuff in the traps. Would kinda be a quick and dirty way to do it, and the idea would be that there is more room in the lines and other places for the water to expand and not break anything.

But if your going to bring it back there for them to replace the tank, might as well go over as much as you can so they can do it all at once.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

This is the first time I have heard of a gate valve on the FWT.

I wonder if this was factory installed or the previous owner installed it?

I would think if factory installed it would have been "Plasti-welded" in place and not require "goop" to seal it.
I’ve seen it on lots of FW tanks, and it’s very common on the TH’s as they have large tanks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #9
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Lee, I have done a lot of welding on plastics in the semi-conductor world where they use a lot of PVDF. If I lookat that valve, it looks like the nipple was heated along with the tank, and pushed in the tank.. ala George fisher plastic welding systems... I really think something hit that valve, although it doen't appear to have been hit. My brother was wondering if a fork lift did it moving it around on a lot?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

So I sent the pictures to the customer service representatibve at Bish's RV. Now I wait. Trailer went off their lot, to my home and to a storage facility.. Makes me wonder.. If I saw this, what the heck do they do when they take a trade in. I expect a unit I can drive off and use.. not crap like this.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #11
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

The oven top, apparently some kind of glass was broken, that part is in, so now I wonder what else? I don't like 1/2 assed fixes..
Old 02-08-2022, 05:22 PM   #12
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

If only?

I expected to purchase a good used RV,, did I need to inspect this more carefully? Obviously YES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7850.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	38288  

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water