Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #1
EMHas4

Propane smell coming from exhaust

I picked up my Avalanche about a month ago and rarely ran the heater because we were in TX and AZ. Now that I am in OR, we have run it pretty steady until someone approached us with a concern about the propane smell. The smell is coming from the exhaust vent and when I called the dealership for a maintenance appointment, they let me know that they are booking for Feb. but it is normal to have some propane leaking from the exhaust. We are living full time in our 5er but I’m concerned about running the heater. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or recommend any DIY checks that we can run to ensure everything is ok?

Thanks -
EMHas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Smelling LP gas is never "normal". If you can smell the gas that means either it's leaking or not ignighting. Are you certian that the smell is comming from the furnace exhaust and not being carried from elsewhere? Do a close inspection all around with the furnace turned off yo confirm. You don’t list a year of your trailer so don't know if it's still in warranty to not. F=om your question I'm guessing your new to RVing so I have to ask, how experienced are you with working on gas appliances?

How cold is it and what are the projected or average temps for that area? Electric space heaters can make it more comfortable but won't keep the water lines from freezing. There are mobile techs that can respond faster but they are expensive and your warranty (if you have one) may not cover the cost.

If you go to the top of the page and opem "UserCP" you can create a signature. If you enter the year, make, and full model of your trailer and truck then it will appear in your posts. This will help you get more relevant answer's and reduce the questions to get that information.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

If I remember correctly, you posted before with questions concerning full timing with four kids. If so, your bravery and commitment far exceeds any amount I would give to that endeavor. My hats off to you...........
OK, your propane problem. Upfront, I am not an expert or a repair tech. Just want to help you out here. We do have a RV tech (maybe more than one, I'm not sure) on this forum. I hope they chime in with their expertise.
Propane exhaust has an odor all to itself, not sure if that is what you are smelling. If not and the odor is unburnt (tank) propane then you have a serious safety concern. With the proper dealer service not available until next year, I would inquire about a local mobile RV service tech. This isn't a bad washer in a water hose connection type of fix, meaning something you can do easily yourself. It would be money well spent to mitigate this major safety hazard.
Let us know what you find and that you are safe.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I am an RV tech, and I don’t play one on TV

Smelling LP ANYWHERE indicates a leak. Exhaust from burning propane as stated is totally different. Chasing down a leak can be somewhat tedious. If your living in it and you can’t get to the dealer, get a spray bottle. Fill it about 3/4 of the way with water, then add a QUALITY dish soap, and my go to is Dawn ultra. Mix it together and then turn on both cylinders. Spray every connection you can find starting at the tanks. If it bubbles you have found your leak.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
travelin texans

If LP is leaking in the combustion chamber it would be quite the BOOM every time the furnace ignited. If it's burning too rich the exhaust could have a slight LP smell, but would also be putting out a bit of black smoke.
When spraying the connections be sure to spray all around the regulators, they have a pin hole on them that if the diaphragm is leaking LP will be leaking from that hole. The regulators & the pigtails connecting the bottles are, from my experience, the usual places for a LP leak.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of questions about your post and your observations....

First you say, "we have run it pretty steady until someone approached us with a concern about the propane smell. The smell is coming from the exhaust vent"

First which "heater" are you talking about? The furnace or the water heater?

The reason I ask for clarity is that if you hadn't noticed until someone else informed you, just where is the leak being smelled? The furnace exhaust is directly forward of the main entry door to the trailer. It would seem odd that someone else (not YOU) would notice the smell... The water heater is on the roadside of the trailer, aft of the cargo passthrough and just forward of the kitchen slide. I could envision someone else "noticing propane smell" there, but by the front entry door?

All that said, the furnace is located under the stairs to the upper bedroom/bath and is open to the entire trailer main area (through those vent cutouts in the stairs), so any propane leak could have devestating consequences. This is not something to ignore or to wait until next year for an appointment...

If you have the ability, get outside and find the leak (or the source of the propane smell) today. Don't use the propane system until you do find the leak. Otherwise, if you don't have the ability to find the leak, locate someone who does and have the system repaired before you turn on the propane again......

You have several sources for help. First, the dealerships in the area. You do not have to rely on a specific dealership warranty department, although you may incur "out of pocket expenses" if you employ someone other than a Keystone "authorized dealer" to cover the repair under warranty. Second, a mobile RV repair service and lastly, one of the propane delivery services in the area. Most of them offer "gas service" to include installation of appliances, repair to house/building gas systems and setting/repairing LPG tanks and LPG storage/delivery systems. Don't ignore this "propane smell", your trailer is at risk but more important, your family is at risk from a potential propane explosion.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

I don't know how John figured out your floor plan to discern where the water heater was located or the heater. Perhaps from a previous thread? It would make sense if you put together a signature with year, make and model of camper and tow vehicle so your questions could be answered with some context. Your question here strikes me as curious. If propane stink was noticed outside, I would think if you opened the inside compartment of the water heater or propane heater, you could really smell it inside.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are a couple of questions about your post and your observations....

First you say, "we have run it pretty steady until someone approached us with a concern about the propane smell. The smell is coming from the exhaust vent"

First which "heater" are you talking about? The furnace or the water heater?

The reason I ask for clarity is that if you hadn't noticed until someone else informed you, just where is the leak being smelled? The furnace exhaust is directly forward of the main entry door to the trailer. It would seem odd that someone else (not YOU) would notice the smell... The water heater is on the roadside of the trailer, aft of the cargo passthrough and just forward of the kitchen slide. I could envision someone else "noticing propane smell" there, but by the front entry door?

All that said, the furnace is located under the stairs to the upper bedroom/bath and is open to the entire trailer main area (through those vent cutouts in the stairs), so any propane leak could have devestating consequences. This is not something to ignore or to wait until next year for an appointment...

If you have the ability, get outside and find the leak (or the source of the propane smell) today. Don't use the propane system until you do find the leak. Otherwise, if you don't have the ability to find the leak, locate someone who does and have the system repaired before you turn on the propane again......

You have several sources for help. First, the dealerships in the area. You do not have to rely on a specific dealership warranty department, although you may incur "out of pocket expenses" if you employ someone other than a Keystone "authorized dealer" to cover the repair under warranty. Second, a mobile RV repair service and lastly, one of the propane delivery services in the area. Most of them offer "gas service" to include installation of appliances, repair to house/building gas systems and setting/repairing LPG tanks and LPG storage/delivery systems. Don't ignore this "propane smell", your trailer is at risk but more important, your family is at risk from a potential propane explosion.

I would second John's urgency. Several years back a fellow bought one of my houses. He owned a Propane company; his parents owned it before him. They had a propane leak but his dad didn't think it was that serious. The house literally blew up with him and his wife inside.....therefore the son (2) owned the company. Like many things, it's ok till it ain't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
dutchmensport

I know in my Montana High Country fifth wheel, I have this constant smell. When I first noticed it, I thought it was propane. After careful examination, I realized it wasn't propane. It was the battery. It's not boiling over or anything, it read perfect, and I've never had a problem with it. But it does emit a strange odor. Sometimes it seems stronger than other times. It depends on the outside temperature, and how often I open the front bay compartment. Never smelled it inside the camper though. Just outside sometimes.

Thought I'd throw that out there just to confuse everyone! Good luck!
Old 12-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I know in my Montana High Country fifth wheel, I have this constant smell. When I first noticed it, I thought it was propane. After careful examination, I realized it wasn't propane. It was the battery. It's not boiling over or anything, it read perfect, and I've never had a problem with it. But it does emit a strange odor. Sometimes it seems stronger than other times. It depends on the outside temperature, and how often I open the front bay compartment. Never smelled it inside the camper though. Just outside sometimes.

Thought I'd throw that out there just to confuse everyone! Good luck!
It's a good point but a battery gassing (typically from the electrolyte boiling) will smell like sulfur. I use a leak detector similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N90BESD...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I keep it in the driver's door pocket so if I get out and smell LP gas can start finding ouit where it's coming from it right away.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #11
jasin1

It’s possible that you have a leak AFTER the gas valve at the furnace..it only leaks when the gas valve opens to send gas to the burners…could be a loose fitting or even a test port on the low pressure side that wasn’t tightened if they did a gas pressure check at the factory….that would explain why you only smell it when the furnace is running although it would tend to go BOOM if it was a big enough leak.

Propane is heavier then air so it will literally pour into the next lower space…..in my gas fitter school years ago the teacher would take a “invisible” container of gas and pour into another container then he ignited it and it would pour from one to another just like water. Maybe the leak ( if there is one) is finding it’s way under the trailer and it’s in the general area of the exhaust.

If it was burning improperly it would likely soot up pretty quick..the tell tale sign would be a blackened soot covered exhaust pipe…propane furnaces are pretty much running good or not…they tend to have operational problems if the gas pressure is off too much..ie all the burners not lighting or flame sensor issues .( as traveling Texans said)

If I didn’t have the knowledge or tools I’d call any local propane company and pay for a service call if I was worried….you don’t have to have them do any work other then see if there is a leak and fix the leak if they can..they will have combustible gas detectors and combustion efficiency digital meters..should cost you about $100 for the service call up to a half hour I would think and another $100 at most if they have to tighten up a loose connection and check with soap bubbles.( although I wouldn’t charge any extra if it was just a loose connection)
Almost all of their techs would be licensed

Now if you are living someplace semi permanently for the winter then I would call a local propane supplier and buy all of your propane from them and see if they would do a leak check as a courtesy…maybe even hitch up and bring the trailer to them so they don’t have to drive out for a service call

I’m not sure how many LP licensed techs are at most rv places but you definitely want someone who is actually certified…either a journey or master….you don’t want them sending out the guy who washes rv’s to “see” if there is a leak

Funny thing about paying for a service tech is you pay the same hourly rate for a tech with 25 years experience or 1 year…although the overall bill with the 1 year would likely be higher as they tend to throw parts at things till they figure it out..lol
I always try and ask for the most experienced guy to work on my stuff

Edit: I see John recommended a propane supplier also..that is who I’d spend the money on if it were me…I didn’t read through all of the posts but I will try and make a point of doing so before I respond
Old 12-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
EMHas4

Thank you to everyone that has contributed. The propane is off until we can either get an LP tech here or us get to him. I appreciate your help and will keep you posted.

2022 Avalanche 390DS
2021 Ram 3500, SRW, B&W Companion
EMHas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
Jaddin1953

Maybe propane coming from one or many place.. try placing a propane detector in different spots . Also, LP gas, may be different than carbon monoxide.. from burning LP .. (might be a different type of detector)
Jaddin1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHas4 View Post
Thank you to everyone that has contributed. The propane is off until we can either get an LP tech here or us get to him. I appreciate your help and will keep you posted.
Might want to get a Manometer, and test the LP pressure. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket...087988&sr=8-16

Just remove a burner, attach the gauge to the burner orifice. Then turn the LP on and then back off. Gauge should read about 14”. Leave it hooked on and with the LP OFF, open another burner while watching the needle. When it reaches about 5” turn the burner off. Zero drop in 3 minutes is the RVIA standard, but you might try 5 minutes.

Since your LP is turned off, I would turn it on and run everything gas for about 30 seconds to fully purge all the air.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:39 AM   #15
RickV

A few years ago I noticed a smoke stain by my water heater exhaust vent. I opened up the cover and there was a mud dauber nest in the flue partially blocking the propane flow. I don't know if this could be the cause because when it happened I just cleaned out the obstruction and didn't pay attention to propane smell afterwards. Just throwing that out there.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #16
Halcyon

Propane smell

On our second trip with our new truck and trailer, we bought a propane grill that uses the small 1# bottle of propane you screw on. After using the grill, I folded it up and put it in the trailer basement. An hour later the propane alarm sounded, scared the bejeesus out of 5 dogs and two people in the trailer (we were attending a national dog agility competition) and everyone else at the campground. Checked both big tanks, the stove, furnace, fridge, water heater for leaks, all the while the alarm was screaming. I finally opened the basement door and smelled the gas. When I had put the grill away, I had jostled the small propane bottle on the grill and it was leaking. NEVER leave the little bottle screwed on was my takeaway, so the problems are not always as obvious as one might think.
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane