Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #61
Winnie2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Just got off the phone with Keystone - they have an official list of regulators that are approved for use under the recall. Only these 6 will be allowed for reimbursement purposes if you've replaced it yourself. And they don't care where you got it from, they just want the paid invoice for pricing.

Call them at the number on your recall letter. PDF of approved regulators from Keystone is attached.

I bought the MERG-253H model - which is the "high flow" version of the MEGR-253 line (allows for more LP appliances to be running at the same time, but not a higher flow for just one), so I don't know if they will accept that or not since the attached PDF shows "MEGR-253".
Bill, Thanks for posting the PDF. Did Keystone happen to comment at all about whether hese regulators were pre-set to the right pressure? I'd assume they are, but then some other comments in this thread have mentioned testing the pressure.
Winnie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #62
NH_Bulldog

The regulators are generally preset and unless you are a gas tech, I wouldn’t mess with it even if it was possible. You generally check for pressure to make sure it is working properly after installation.

There is a danger in just buying whatever regulator looks good or that you can find. It has to have at least the same flow rating as the one you are replacing. Get one with a lower rating and your stove may not work while your furnace is on. For some, it may create more problems than it solves by replacing it yourself.

On a side note, I received my $199.99 reimbursement check today so it’s nice to have some money back in my pocket……unless the DW finds out and then it’s likely gone lol.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #63
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie2020 View Post
Bill, Thanks for posting the PDF. Did Keystone happen to comment at all about whether hese regulators were pre-set to the right pressure? I'd assume they are, but then some other comments in this thread have mentioned testing the pressure.
They did not. Each regulator is preset at the factory. I bought a high flow (same pressure setting) unit to make sure that we can have the furnace on, the refrigerator on, water heater and outside stove, inside stove and grill all going at once. That would be a rare occasion, if ever at all, but I’d rather have enough than not enough. And sure enough it all worked when I tried it before we least for a week away. And for $60 for a preferred model, I think I’m ahead on this one for a change.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #64
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Received an envelope from Thor today. The "Winn-Tec Model 6020 dual stage propane regulator" provided on scudloads of 2019-2021 Keystone models may not... well, regulate. High flames, fire hazards, all that. Recall, one-hour retrofit time. But parts not yet available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I received the same letter. It also states that there is no stock available but that they would send another letter once stock is available.
So, we're coming up on three months since the recall was announced, and no followup letter. Still operating the old regulator.

Keystone? Brandon? What's the holdup?
Old 02-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #65
NH_Bulldog

Considering the recall letter went out 6 months after they first announced the recall, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them. This is why I bought one and replaced it myself and then submitted for reimbursement.

You can look at the list of approved regulators and it is easy enough to find one online……or you can wait for that letter. But be careful waiting, because if something happens in the meantime, Keystone warned you about the risk!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
So, we're coming up on three months since the recall was announced, and no followup letter. Still operating the old regulator.

When the Olympics are finished, maybe they can divert their attention to building regulators again ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #67
mikec557

Quote:

Are you planning a trip before you get a replacement? If so, I have a "temp" setup you can have. (I'm in Sun City West) It worked great for us when our recalled regulator went bad mid trip in December.
mikec557 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:46 PM   #68
LHaven

I found the list of Keystone-approved replacements. I initially liked the Cavagna because it's the only one of the group whose indicator you can actually view through a top-ported tank cover... but it comes with a completely unusable mounting hanger. Which is too bad, because the Cavagna is the only one that isn't out of stock everywhere.

Thanks for the offer, mikec557. I'm more likely to just roll the dice on this one until I can replace it. I can operate propane-less if I have to -- I kept my last rig 20 years and think I refilled propane tanks five times. If I hadn't consistently left my fridge running while on the highway, it probably would have been even fewer times.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #69
LHaven

Called my dealer yesterday asking if he had heard anything. He told me he finally has authorization from Keystone to start the replacements. "Up until now, we've been able to do the Grand Designs, but not the Keystones." So the hangup was bureaucracy after all, not parts.

Got an appointment for a 90-min part swapout next week.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:06 PM   #70
NH_Bulldog

90 minutes? Damn, I thought at 1 hour I was overcharging for something it takes 15-20 minutes to do!
Old 02-17-2022, 04:16 PM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

15 min to do the job and 75 min to watch it to make sure it doesn’t leak? I've heard of a 1 hr min before but 90 min sounds excessive.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #72
LHaven

I guess it all depends on whether they are going to make it involve unhitching, towing to a bay, etc. I sure hope not. Retrofitting a ProPride hitch for conventional towing is a b*.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #73
jasin1

Quote:
Called my dealer yesterday asking if he had heard anything. He told me he finally has authorization from Keystone to start the replacements. "Up until now, we've been able to do the Grand Designs, but not the Keystones." So the hangup was bureaucracy after all, not parts.

Got an appointment for a 90-min part swapout next week.
Will they mail you the part?…I dunno I wouldn’t hitch up my fifth wheel and spend a half a day with travel and waiting for anything less then $100..maybe $200…it’s a pretty simple fix

My dealer is 35 miles away..just the fuel and tolls would eat away at the price of the part
Old 02-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #74
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Will they mail you the part?…I dunno I wouldn’t hitch up my fifth wheel and spend a half a day with travel and waiting for anything less then $100..maybe $200…it’s a pretty simple fix

My dealer is 35 miles away..just the fuel and tolls would eat away at the price of the part

Huh?? 35 miles? It's dang near that far to carry out the trash in rural TX. Tolls? I'd move.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:56 PM   #75
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Huh?? 35 miles? It's dang near that far to carry out the trash in rural TX. Tolls? I'd move.
Lol yes I know it’s not that far but I don’t like to waste my day for stuff like that ..if the part is $75 by the time I pay for fuel for 70 miles and $16 in tolls rountrip it just seems pointless to me..
It’s like driving 30 miles to get a free pizza

I’m not a penny pincher at all and couldn’t tell you how much fuel actually costs .( well that sounded dumb ..I’m not rich I just don’t pay attention to those kind of things) .I believe the tolls are $4 one way and maybe another $4 each way over the bridge for the fiver ..( and I drive over the bridge a couple of times a week but have an ezpass )
I just don’t like to waste my time
Old 02-17-2022, 06:08 PM   #76
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Lol yes I know it’s not that far but I don’t like to waste my day for stuff like that ..if the part is $75 by the time I pay for fuel for 70 miles and $16 in tolls rountrip it just seems pointless to me..
It’s like driving 30 miles to get a free pizza

I’m not a penny pincher at all and couldn’t tell you how much fuel actually costs ..I believe the tolls are $4 one way and maybe another $4 each way over the bridge for the fiver ..( and I drive over the bridge a couple of times a week but have an expass)
I just don’t like to waste my time

Waste time? Seems like you're wasting money! Move on out to the desert and there are no worries about "tolls" or bridges... Heck, come on out here; as I've said for decades - we've got the best fishing lakes anywhere within 7-8 hours in any direction (and I know you like boats) so move on out to paradise (and heat, sand, etc.) and you can likely find a place to drop your boat....generally....if the lakes aren't dried up. Did I mention we don't have tolls??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #77
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Waste time? Seems like you're wasting money! Move on out to the desert and there are no worries about "tolls" or bridges... Heck, come on out here; as I've said for decades - we've got the best fishing lakes anywhere within 7-8 hours in any direction (and I know you like boats) so move on out to paradise (and heat, sand, etc.) and you can likely find a place to drop your boat....generally....if the lakes aren't dried up. Did I mention we don't have tolls??
Might just do that one day…Always thought we would stay here in MD but it’s getting less and less desirable by the year…or month
Old 02-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #78
LHaven

Quote:

Meh. I'm not going to buy a manometer, and have to learn how to use it, and then Dunning-Kruger my installation anyway. It'll be an excuse to go to town and have a fancy meal.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:37 PM   #79
jasin1

Quote:
Meh. I'm not going to buy a manometer, and have to learn how to use it, and then Dunning-Kruger my installation anyway. It'll be an excuse to go to town and have a fancy meal.
Well when you put it that way it doesn’t sound so bad…good for you
Old 02-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #80
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Might just do that one day…Always thought we would stay here in MD but it’s getting less and less desirable by the year…or month
I've been to a lot of places all around this great country. The one consistant opinion I've found is that folks think their town is the best town and people are nuts for living elsewhere. If Shangri-La existed it sure would be a popular place now wouldn't it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, recall