Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Courser Farm

Goodyear Endurance and eTrailer.com

Hi: We've just read a few hundred posts on Endurance, Hercules, etc. We have a new 2021 with 4120 TK's on it which we will replace before our winter trips. Have seen that many sites/post report that GY Endurance are discontinued "while they produce emergency vehicle tires" but eTrailer has them available to us as of January 31. Please give me your thoughts! I asked for the manufacture date but eTrailer guy says I'll have to wait until I get them........ TIA

P.S. Our rather tried and true dealer says unavailable and discontinued.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the Goodyear tires are "discontinued" (I'd guess temporarily) and you do buy them from eTrailer.com, is there any assurance that "IF" something happens and you need replacements, that they will be available? If a replacement is not available, and you have to go with an "off brand" for that one tire, you'll have a "mis-matched set of tires on the trailer. Functionally, it shouldn't make a difference, but is that the kind of "potential situation" you want to be in ????

Currently, Carlisle Radial Trail tires are "as good as" Goodyear Endurance, at least from all the reports from owners of both brand ST tires..... As far as I know, there is no "downside to Carlisle RT tires, and the "upside" is that they are available to special order from WalMart (with the right of refusal is you are concerned about date of manufacture).

WalMart's pricing for the Carlisle is $96.15 each: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012166

I'm not trying to convince you not to buy the Goodyear tires, just offering a possible situation you might find yourself facing and an alternative that provides the "same type quality" at a cheaper price. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
jfk69

Just put a set of the Carlisles that John linked in a 16” size on our trailer. Mounted, balanced and steel valve stems for just under $600 for a set of four. So far I’m very pleased with them. They balanced with very little weight needed to be added, ride is excellent. Felt like pulling a different beast in a much better way.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
Nankipoo

Ran the Carlisles all summer. No complaints yet.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Don't have any idea why the Endurance would be "discontinued" so quickly....if that is correct. But, just that it's out there and you are experiencing issues with getting them would be a red flag to me. Do we have another "Marathon" situation building in the background unannounced?? Don't know, don't have any idea and have nothing against the Endurance, but to have that kind of anomaly on a tire that should be easy to get is worrisome to me.

Like others mentioned, the Carlisle ST tires are very good tires and I never had an issue with them. Just something to consider.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I read the GY was pausing trailer tire production to focus on higher demand lines due to labor shortages. Tire Rack tends to have a good selection of the most current date codes. I bought a set of 4 Endurance in late April and the date codes were something like 5-6 weeks prior.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
notanlines

Another sister-forum thread of interest: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...res-21249.html
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

For what it's worth. ORV has been using those tires as their new trailer tires. I have been on their forum daily for several months and cannot recall a single person mentioning a blow out or other tire problems.
I placed a order on a new trailer from them back in August. It should be ready by April with several factory prices increases. Right now it went up 7,000 and might go up another 5600. We are now looking at buying used. Might have a 2018 by the end of the day.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Lindyn

I have not own a GY Endurance tires, but I have ran Goodyear on every 5th wheel we have owned. Only one flat tire due to a cracked wheel. I just removed the Sailuns and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. The problem I had was finding the G614's. Due to labor issues, GY like most large company's has had issues, until America gets back to work, things will be hard pressed to find certain products. Good Luck with your choice.

We have travelled thousands of miles since 2005, traveled thru 44 States, stayed in most of them. Most of our GM Trucks have ran Goodyear tires, the GM 3500HD's have been Michelin tires.

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyn View Post
I have not own a GY Endurance tires, but I have ran Goodyear on every 5th wheel we have owned. Only one flat tire due to a cracked wheel. I just removed the Sailuns and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. The problem I had was finding the G614's. Due to labor issues, GY like most large company's has had issues, until America gets back to work, things will be hard pressed to find certain products. Good Luck with your choice.

We have travelled thousands of miles since 2005, traveled thru 44 States, stayed in most of them. Most of our GM Trucks have ran Goodyear tires, the GM 3500HD's have been Michelin tires.

Happy trails.
My last 5th wheel came with 16" GY G614s after 60k miles/4 1/2 years I replaced them with 4 Sailun 17.5" H rated tires w/ wheels for the price of 3 GY tire replacements & would do it again, had very good service with the Sailuns.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
Courser Farm

Thank you, Lindyn. Looks like our wheels won't take a G rated tire. We used G614s on our LQ 3 horse trailer and loved them. Appreciate your advice.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
Lindyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My last 5th wheel came with 16" GY G614s after 60k miles/4 1/2 years I replaced them with 4 Sailun 17.5" H rated tires w/ wheels for the price of 3 GY tire replacements & would do it again, had very good service with the Sailuns.
What ever floats your boat. I never look at price when replace tires on a $100,000 5th wheel. Thats the American way, buy what you want.

Happy trails.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
What ever floats your boat. I never look at price when replace tires on a $100,000 5th wheel. Thats the American way, buy what you want.

Happy trails.
Wasn't questioning your decision to buy whatever you wanted, just stating what I did/would do again so others know there are options, if your budget is a consideration, equal to the GYs at a better price. No need to get testy about it! Also BTW the 5th wheel I put those on listed at well over $100k.
Ran GY tires at work on company vehicles that might last 20k where the truck was being driven, if they didn't become square before the 20k, but that's the only tire we were allowed the buy, wasn't putting them my personal vehicles.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-05-2021, 04:34 AM   #14
notanlines

I've found that 'looking at price' over the years is what allowed us to afford a $150K RV. When the Suites is ready for new tires we will be swapping to Sailun also. Great tire, good price.
Over the years we bought almost nothing but Michelin for our vans and pickups. I badly hated to part with that money, but I felt worse parting with money for a set of B F Goodrich that only went half the miles.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #15
Lindyn

Mobile Suites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I've found that 'looking at price' over the years is what allowed us to afford a $150K RV. When the Suites is ready for new tires we will be swapping to Sailun also. Great tire, good price.
Over the years we bought almost nothing but Michelin for our vans and pickups. I badly hated to part with that money, but I felt worse parting with money for a set of B F Goodrich that only went half the miles.
Yep, been there and done that. We owned two, we also were fortunate to go to the factory, with idea's we wanted above what the Suites were designed with. That was when DRV was not built under a corporation. Be happy, do what YOU think is best for you and yours.

Happy Trails.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #16
Lindyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Quote:
Wasn't questioning your decision to buy whatever you wanted, just stating what I did/would do again so others know there are options, if your budget is a consideration, equal to the GYs at a better price. No need to get testy about it! Also BTW the 5th wheel I put those on listed at well over $100k.
Ran GY tires at work on company vehicles that might last 20k where the truck was being driven, if they didn't become square before the 20k, but that's the only tire we were allowed the buy, wasn't putting them my personal vehicles.

What is the issue just because I don't buy Sailuns, why do people get so excited. Buy what ever you like, in America we can make that choice. That is what is so great and wonderful about America. We have choices.

Happy trails.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
What is the issue just because I don't buy Sailuns, why do people get so excited. Buy what ever you like, in America we can make that choice. That is what is so great and wonderful about America. We have choices.

Happy trails.
Duh!
That's what I've been saying!!!
Just pointing out to all reading here, not directed to anyone imparticular, that there are other less expensive choices!!! Sailun being one of those that are just as good as GYs at half the price.
It's not about spending the money, but I'm not spending twice as much for a name if the quality is the same on the other.
I buy Michelins for my vehicles also due to their longer than most mileages, typically twice or 3 times the mileage of any other brands I've used.
I think we've beat this dead horse enough!
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #18
Lindyn

Quote:
Duh!
That's what I've been saying!!!
Just pointing out to all reading here, not directed to anyone imparticular, that there are other less expensive choices!!! Sailun being one of those that are just as good as GYs at half the price.
It's not about spending the money, but I'm not spending twice as much for a name if the quality is the same on the other.
I buy Michelins for my vehicles also due to their longer than most mileages, typically twice or 3 times the mileage of any other brands I've used.
I think we've beat this dead horse enough!
Thanks.

Happy trails.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #19
stevencina

I have used Hercules tires on my 2015 Rockwood 5th Wheel I had no problems with them, replaced them with Endurance tires and had 2 blowouts on a trip within 1500 miles.
I have tire pressure monitors and am critical with tire care. I Now have a 2020 Cougar 30rls so right now I have the Trailer King tires, will not replace them with Endurance when the time comes.
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #20
Tireman9

"Discontinued" or just not current production?

Discontinued implies a product is no longer being made and will not start production again. The 2015 Ford f150 is "Discontinued" and production will never start again.
Tire production is cyclical with production sometimes changing daily. This is a function of the process. In many cases it is possible to "build" a tire in as little as 3 minutes fo some items but it can take 15 to 20 minutes to "cure the tire".

Tire companies have entire departments charged with balancing the production rate of different components that go into a tire against the time it takes to build a tire vs the time it takes to cure a tire while all the time trying to predict sales volume.
Snow tires would be a good example.These specialty tires need to be available at local tire warehouses in the Fall when demand goes up but they don't need to be sitting on top of 100,000 snow tires in April.
Production of the RV trailer tire Endurance by Goodyear would be an example of a cyclical production. Up until the last couple of years RV production was at a more predictable rate. The Covid so sales dropped then the rebound. You can't simply turn a valve and start making a specific size tire again tomorrow without impacting the production of some other tire.
RV tire sales volumes are minuscule when compared with passenger car sizes being shipped by the tens of thousands into car assembly plants around the world.
I sincerely doubt that Goodyear has "discontinued" the Endurance line. Yes some sizes may be in low supply in some locations so that this means is that you need to do some planning.