Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
Gobirds38

Memberships

What's the better choice Good Sam or KOA???
Looking for disounts on campgounds...

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
B-O-B'03

I don't have either of those, but I do have the America the Beautiful Senior Pass

I paid $10 for it, when I turned 62 and it is a lifetime pass. I think now they are $80 for the senior lifetime version, which is still a great deal.

If you are under 62 there is an annual pass for $80 that provides the same benefits (free entry and 50% off camping for all Federal lands.

-Brian
Old 03-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Northofu1

AAA (CAA) discounts are free with your plan, I get no spam, mailers, or pop ups from them. Sam's and KOA all the time until I let everything lapse and unsubscribed. They all only save you 10% at best.
The America the beautiful pass is worth it if your hitting alot of the spots that accept it, that also goes for the Parks Canada Discovery Pass. My upcoming trip down east is booked at 4 National Parks and is paid for with the daily park admission fees savings by having the pass. I bought the ATB pass last year and saved me some money, I would have saved the cost and more had I been able to actually get to Tennessee and Georgia.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

A lot depends on where you camp and when (weekends or midweek). We have KOA because the closest cg to where our daughter lives is a KOA. Typically got our money back first 3 trips.

We also have Passport America that has saved us a lot but primarily week days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
captcolour

I have both. Usually get the KOA membership back the first trip.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We had a free Thousand Trails membership that we never used (I won’t rant here). We also have a KOA membership and that works okay for us. We prefer State Parks when we travel alone, but for groups we find the KOA is good. Good Sam also get’s you a discount at CW, so that might be a benefit if such things move you.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
Customer1

They are entirely different things and as such aren't really comparable

Good Sam is a club with rallies, local chapters, and discounts.

KOA is a campground chain that gets you to pay in advance to then get a faux discount later.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Good Sam, KOA, Passport America and America the Beautiful Senior Pass (which I use at COE campgrounds). Also have a Texas State Park pass, waives daily entrance fees and a few other discounts, check the State Parks in your home state for a similar pass.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:43 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Not sure where Fort Thomas is but which discount pass to purchase sort of depends on which area of the country you camp. KOA is a campground and if you buy a membership, you will need to use KOA campgrounds which wouldn't work for us (not many near us). Good Sam offers a discount at a lot of campgrounds in Texas at least but is pretty expensive compared to Passport America which we are members of. We have saved hundreds of dollars using Passport America but their discounts are offered by fewer campgrounds. We are also members of TACO (TX Assn of Campground Members) and quite a few Texas campgrounds offer a 5 percent discount for membership (which is free). Most campgrounds will only give you one discount.

Good Sam Club offers discounts at their Camping World stores but we don't shop in those so that isn't a factor for us but you may. I buy most of my RV stuff from etrailer.com and pplmotorhomes.com
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure where Fort Thomas is but which discount pass to purchase sort of depends on which area of the country you camp. KOA is a campground and if you buy a membership, you will need to use KOA campgrounds which wouldn't work for us (not many near us). Good Sam offers a discount at a lot of campgrounds in Texas at least but is pretty expensive compared to Passport America which we are members of. We have saved hundreds of dollars using Passport America but their discounts are offered by fewer campgrounds. We are also members of TACO (TX Assn of Campground Members) and quite a few Texas campgrounds offer a 5 percent discount for membership (which is free). Most campgrounds will only give you one discount.

Good Sam Club offers discounts at their Camping World stores but we don't shop in those so that isn't a factor for us but you may. I buy most of my RV stuff from etrailer.com and pplmotorhomes.com
We are new to Rving, bought new TT last fall, haven't had it out yet. It sounds like most people are members of many clubs. Fort Thomas is located in KY, we mostly camp in Ky, Tenn, SC, Fla. We don't shop at CW. Most of the state parks are to primitive for the DW... So I was looking for some savings for campgrounds to bring the price back to state park ranges...

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
jeepjrn

Koa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
What's the better choice Good Sam or KOA???
Looking for disounts on campgounds...
In my subjective opinion it would be KOA because of my trust in them always being courteous, friendly, accommodating, clean, and well maintained (there are always exceptions). But I truly would suggest looking at the areas you’re intending to camp and research what campgrounds are in the area and then investigate as to what club memberships would suit you the best for those distinct area’s. I’m sure all memberships have their pros and con’s but in the end it’s all about location, location, location!
jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
travelin texans

From our experiences get both the KOA card & Good Sam's.
KOAs are typically more expensive than others, but if you have kids or grandkids with you a good many KOAs have entertainment for them. After you've accumulated so many points KOA will upgrade you to a VIP membership giving you a 15% discount.
GS gets you discounts at all sorts of campgrounds across the country from large to small some with lots of amenities others with none. Plus you get discounts at Camping World & Flying J/Pilot fuels.
Neither will get you discounts down to the price of state or local parks though, but usually GS gets them cheaper than any KOA even with their regular or VIP discounts.
Passport America is another way to save 50% on campsites especially if camping during the week. Just be sure to check their blackout dates before hand, seemed we could never stay the right day to get their discount, it was always yesterday or tomorrow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

In the past 3 years, most of the KOA's where we've stayed have been in the $55-75 range. Most of the "Good Sam campgrounds" have been in the $40-55 range. With a 10% discount, that's KOA $50-70 and GS $35-50 per night.

Most State Park campgrounds are in the $30-40 range, national parks (without a parks pass) are about the same. The National Parks Pass ($80 per year if under 62 and $80 lifetime if over 62) provides for "half price camping" with free park entrance. The discount applies to all National Park campgrounds (not contract vendor campgrounds) as well as all COE facilities, so the list of available facilities is far greater than KOA and as widely available as the GS facilities....

If you're over 62, pay the "one time fee" and get a National Parks Pass. If you're not yet over 62, weigh your options, depending on your "camping style" you may find that even the annual $80 charge pays for itself in a week of camping and park entrance fees.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
Roscommon48

For us KOA campgrounds are just too expensive.....though we are right now staying at one.
Just depends on what you want. There are many discounted groups passport america, aaa, veteran and etc.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
Phil Saran

I have AAA (mostly for road service) but if also offers the 10% off.
Camping World card gets you discount in the store or online.
KOA I have a membership that we use.

Also depending on what type of travel you do is a membership in a
Elks Lodge, which is a fraternal order for both men and women.

About 80% of the Elks Lodges in the USA has some type of overnight
RV parking from just a gravel or asphalt parking lot up full blown RV
Parks with full hookups and a pool plus use of the lodge for adult beverages,
meals, showers, activities.

Only requirement to join is that you believe in God and are of good character.

Yearly dues depends on the size of the lodge. Mine here in Colorado is only 5
years old and does not have it's own building. My dues run about $70.00 a year.

My old lodge in California is well established and has RV sites with hookups and
their nightly fee is about $25.00 a night and $130.00 a year in dues.

Depending on the location there can be restrictions on how long you can stay,
some only 3 days, other 2 weeks or all year long.

There are even some Elks Lodges in Canada, but not too many.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #16
66joej

[QUOTE=Phil Saran;383341

There are even some Elks Lodges in Canada, but not too many.[/QUOTE]

Actually there are 250 Elks Lodges in Canada. Not sure how many offer overnight RV parking.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote