Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Kaptn Krabby

Winterizing black tank flush?

This morning it suddenly dawned on me that nothing was put in the black tank flush lines when I pumped antifreeze through the rest of the plumbing. Does this line drain so that I wouldn't need to be concerned? How would one put antifreeze in the black tank flush lines? We have had some very cold temps here and I'm afraid any damage has already been done!
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

It should be fine. The anti siphon valve should be at a the "high point" above both ends which are open. It should self drain. I use compressed air and antifreeze when I winterize and I'll blow some air thru the tank rinser but that's just me being overly cautious.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #3
Eastham

I use a hand pump that you can attach to the hose fitting on the black tank flush. And put a few pumps of antifreeze from a gallon jug .I haven't had any problems doing it this way.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
ChuckS

Easiest is to just hook up air adapter to flush tank fitting and blow it out with air.. the plastic anti siphon valve is a known freeze point .. if water does stay in valve.. and they often do then the valve freezes and you won’t know you have a problem till next time you use it and it floods your bathroom

I don’t use the black tank flush on mine.. I use a clear coupler with its own gate valve and clean black tank and gray tanks

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Canonman

I agree with Marshall. A little compressed air through the flush port will insure there will be no problems this spring. This is what I use to blow out the fresh water lines as well as the black tank flush:https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36153-B...35320602&psc=1
Remember to use low pressure under 40lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3162.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	24356  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don’t use the black tank flush on mine.. I use a clear coupler with its own gate valve and clean black tank and gray tanks
My Bullet is new (but a 2019) so the black tank has supposedly never been used. I did put air to it when winterizing. Is the black tank flush effective or is it a gimmick? Does it spray the sensors or does it spray straight across the floor to move gunk to the drain pipe?
Old 11-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
My Bullet is new (but a 2019) so the black tank has supposedly never been used. I did put air to it when winterizing. Is the black tank flush effective or is it a gimmick? Does it spray the sensors or does it spray straight across the floor to move gunk to the drain pipe?
I wouldn’t say the black tank flush is a gimmick...it is one of several useful tools to keep the tank functioning properly. I only use it 3-4 times a year. I put a high quality waste tank treatment in the black tank once a week and that does a good job of keeping the odor down.

If I really want to clean the tank, I will fill it with fresh water and some dish soap before a trip. I’ll let that slosh around while I’m driving and then dump when I get to camp. I do that maybe once a year.

Here is a a good video demonstrating the various methods for flushing the tank and it shows exactly what the sprayers on the tank flush do.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU

And here is the tank treatment I use

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B007S0LDME
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Mine have all done a good job of adding water to the tank, hard to tell how good of a job it does & no it doesn't spray directly on the sensors or else they might actually work. Don't count on the sensors telling you much about tank levels,but do have pretty red lights.
As for the clear coupler with the hose connection, if you have a 90 degree into any of the black/grey tanks your not getting much, if any, rinse into the tanks, great stinky slinky rinse though. BTDT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
Kaptn Krabby

I've only used mine a few times this past summer. I flushed until the water coming out was relatively clear.....so based on that I'd say it does do a pretty good job. Whether the sensors are cleaned....who knows!
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
6.2 Superduty

I forgot to winterize my black tank flush last year and had no problems. In the original posters case he should look inside when he uses it to see if it froze and broke.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
larryflew

Have never done antifreeze on the black rinse and no problems even with freezing Minnesota temps. Also recommend a half bottle of cheap dish washing detergent with partially full black tank and a couple hundred mile trip once and awhile.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Easiest is to just hook up air adapter to flush tank fitting and blow it out with air.. the plastic anti siphon valve is a known freeze point .. if water does stay in valve.. and they often do then the valve freezes and you won’t know you have a problem till next time you use it and it floods your bathroom

A black tank flusher is INSIDE the tank, the clear coupler will not spray down the sides of the black tank. I use both but for entirely different purposes.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
Bamabox

I did the same thing. Forgot the black tank flush line. I use the water pump to do all the other lines with the diverter kit and anti freeze. So I say to the DW, all done. Doh!!!! Used the hand pump to do the black tank line and opened the black tank valve. Waited to see pink. Only took about a quart. Having said that, the previous 2 winters I know I did nothing to it, and no issues, so maybe it’s a non issue. We typically see 10 below at least once.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
ADQ K9

I have blown mine out and thats it. I use it every time I dump. I have yet to get a hand pump for the antifreeze, but that is probably cheap insurance to put some in there. I think it all depends on where and how the check valve is mounted.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I have blown mine out and thats it. I use it every time I dump. I have yet to get a hand pump for the antifreeze, but that is probably cheap insurance to put some in there. I think it all depends on where and how the check valve is mounted.
If I’m at full hookups I do likewise. Alway use the bt flush line. It works. Dump stations are typically too busy and don’t have the proper hose connection.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
ADQ K9

Bammabox,
I find that a lot of dump stations have only a bare hose end for the rinse hose I invested in a Water Bandit to slide on the end of the hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000EDOSKG
It is dedicated to the black tank flush, I have another for fresh water.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #17
05Fatboy

I connect my outside shower hose to the black tank flush and wait for the pink to come out.
05Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

In a typical installation, the anti siphon valve is located at a “high” point, and once you remove the hose from the outside connection any liquid will simply drain off. The only issue I see is the valve itself. I would simply blow air or if readily accessible remove it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, winter, winterizing