Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
vportelli1

Hot water tank bypass valve

Hi, First time RV owner here. I'm winterizing my cougar x-lite 29RBK for the first time next weekend. I located the water pump under a panel next to our bed so I can tap into an antifreeze jug. Can anyone tell me where I can find the hot water tank bypass valve? Also, if anyone has any more winterizing advice I can use that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Vince
vportelli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

To locate your HW bypass valve, first find the back side (interior) of the HW heater. Once you have located the tank, there should be a shutoff valve right at the back of it.
You may have to remove a panel of some description to get complete access to the tank.

There are numerous posts and threads on here about winterizing so you can access them and the information by using our forum search feature. Typing in "winterizing" should get you there.

Keystone also has a video on winterizing which can be seen by going to their site and also by checking out some of the UTube videos on this subject.

If all of this doesn't give you more than enough information, go to Google and type in "Winterizing an RV". There are many sites out there with all sorts of good stuff on this subject.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
kj6268

Hot water tank bypass valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vportelli1 View Post
Hi, First time RV owner here. I'm winterizing my cougar x-lite 29RBK for the first time next weekend. I located the water pump under a panel next to our bed so I can tap into an antifreeze jug. Can anyone tell me where I can find the hot water tank bypass valve? Also, if anyone has any more winterizing advice I can use that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Vince
Hi, Vince.

The HW tank bypass valve is under the bottom bunk bed. Move the mattress pad out of the way and the plywood "shelf" is held down by one screw. Remove that screw and lift the plywood using the finger hole. The valve is located at the bottom and is a white plastic/nylon fitting.

How did you remove the box over the water pump? I have isolated the pump but cannot figure out how to lift or move the carpeted panels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ken J.
kj6268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
vportelli1

Hi Ken,

I removed the wooden box surrounding the water pump by removing the screws securing the carpeted box panels to the wall and floor. There were about five screws. Once those panels are out of the way, accessing the water pump was a breeze.

I had to DE-winterize the RV two days ago. My sister's house lost power from Hurricane Sandy and her family moved into the RV.

Best,

Vince
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
kj6268

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid diving under the carpet but it seems that cannot be avoided. There was a post elsewhere that suggest using a magnet to help locate those screws.

Hope the after effects of Sandy are quickly resolved and that everyone remains safe.

Cougar X-Lite 29RBK pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab (2WD, 6-Speed Manual)
kj6268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
vportelli1

The screws are around the inside the box