Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2022, 05:55 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Width of the screw strip vinyl trim insert

I have a 2019 Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE and the screw strip trim insert is coming apart. I was going to order a replacement roll, but I now see there are two widths. My trailer is at the storage lot and I was just wondering if anyone knows the correct width for this trailer?

Also, any recommendations on a good brand to use would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I've used 1" molding on everything I've ever replaced and it worked perfectly. I buy the stuff labeled "premium" but don't remember the brand and it may not be important. There are several makers. You can get it from Amazon, RecPro, RV Upgrades, etrailer and more. There will be a big difference in the way the new feels and the old cheap stuff. Go over all the molding to see if any of it feels "loose", stiff or kind of "crispy", if it does just replace it too. While you're at it and the strip is pulled check all those screws for tightness as they like to back out. After my first trip on this one I had to pull the strips on the back wall and tighten them as I could see some of the screw heads pushing the vinyl up. Buy a big roll. I've had the trim on this one come off twice driving down the highway. Once it does that you just need to replace it and it's hard to find in the middle of nowhere just just keep it in your "spares" box.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:39 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Thanks Danny. I see several that look good on Amazon. I'll give the 1" version a try.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

X2 on the 1” vinyl. That’s all we order.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The 1" vinyl strip will fit either the 7/8" molding or the 1" molding. It's interchangeable.

The 7/8" vinyl strip will only fit the 7/8" aluminum molding.

Buy the 1". Make sure you get the "heavy duty" not the "light duty" vinyl stripping.

When you install it, let it sit in the sun or in a warm place for a couple hours, it'll slip into the aluminum slots easier when you squeeze it.

DO NOT pull the vinyl or it will stretch and then tomorrow, you'll see that it's shurnk and the ends have pulled away from the end of the aluminum molding. Most people cut it long, use scissors to cut a "point on the end" and then fold that under itself so the end isn't "raw" and then use one of the molding screws to anchor it in place at the very end of the aluminum molding run. Otherwise, expect that as it sits in the sun, it will shrink an inch or two and you'll have a "exposed vinyl end" at every place you installed new vinyl screw cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #6
Hblick48

I found that a window screen installation tool works great to install the stripping.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote