Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
HercFE

2021 Arcadia 3660RL

I just wanted to vent and to find out if anyone else is having the same issues. We would love this trailer if we didn't have so many issues. We had the bring it in 3 times for A/C issues, this week will be the 4th time for the fridge not cooling, the outside lights and awning, the screen and normal door not latching properly. Keep in mind we received this trailer in March and never used it until May, so realistically I have used it 4 times in 4 months. Every time we bring it in it is min of 2 weeks to get parts etc. We really feel that we bought a lemon trailer from keystone. This is our first trailer, Should I be concerned about future Keystones?

thanks
HercFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What are the specific issues you're having?

To say, A/C issues or fridge not cooling, outside lights and awning, or even screen and door not latching could be anything from "In-Command issues" to "operator error" (not suggesting that it is, just could be). So, knowing what specifically is occurring would be helpful in trying to determine what problems you're having and might lead to figuring out how you can fix the problems without having your trailer "sit on the dealer's lot" so often.

I'd urge you not to compare automobile reliability to RV reliability. They aren't similar, in fact, they aren't even close to the same level of quality control.

There are a lot of owners who have problems with a new RV, "ironing out the wrinkles", so it's not surprising that you're having problems, but 4 times for a refrigerator issue or 3 times for an A/C (assuming that's air conditioning not AC power) issues does seem excessive, if it's the same problem not being fixed vs a different problem that wasn't identified previously.....

So......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
HercFE

Hi John,

The A/C was wired incorrectly, then Duct work was incorrect which I later found out was a recall. The fridge they replaced some cooling component and then the electrical board. The awning and lights were wired incorrectly. I totally understand working out the kinks, but is this normal?
Old 08-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Normal ??? Probably not something that happens to EVERY trailer, but yes, many trailers from Keystone, Jayco, Grand Design and Forest River all have threads on their forums complaining of the same types of issues that you're having. So while it's not "normal" (meaning happens to every trailer), It is "normal" meaning we've all read about or experienced very similar issues

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

The Arcadia is a new model; suspect that there is a learning curve on the assembly line and higher number of mistakes compared to a Bullet or Cougar which are old lines. Not sure how static assemblers are but if they go from their usual function to a different trailer line, perhaps they were learning as they put your Arcadia together? Dunno but it seems to make a little sense. Plus there are always many job openings with Keystone which suggests a fairly high turnover or expansion is adding more assemblers. I don't think these are all Amish craftsman and I think they have to waive drug tests to fill positions.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
travelin texans

Just curious!
Did/do you have the ability to repair any of those issues?
Not trying make excuses for the rv manufacturers or down play your issuses, but with rv ownership there will ALWAYS be something to repair, either due to poor craftsmanship or just hauling it down our wonderfulhighways.
If anyone owning a rv doesn't have minimal knowledge of electrical, both 120 & 12 volt, plumbing, woodworking & the tools to do those minimal repairs rv ownership will consist of watching your rv sit at the dealership for a few weeks following every trip taken.
IMHO if your dealers service department having made the same repairs on the same appliances multiple times I'd be having Keystone finding me a different repair facility ot even a mobil technician, someone that knows what they're doing, apparently that place doesn't.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry for your problems. My first thought; did you or the dealership do any kind of PDI on the trailer? Some of those things sound like issues that should have never reached you at sale - dealer. You've had it in 3 times for the A/C, 4 times for the fridge - sounds like dealer. You don't give specifics about some of the other issues but it doesn't sound like anyone went over this unit prior to you taking possession.

Nearly all new trailers have issues, some large, some small. You can opt to take it to the dealer for warranty work for every loose screw, rattle, crooked this or that and leave it for months or just get to it and fix it if you have the skills. Many times your repair will be much better than what you would receive back. Big buck items, take it in but other than that it might be easier to fix things yourself....after 12 mos. you will have to.

Doesn't sound like you bought a lemon....you bought an RV. Some new ones have more issues than others but since 1985 I've never bought a new trailer that didn't have something wrong with it. Put it all in perspective, think about how fun it will be to work on the trailer and learn new skills. In fact, I use that same excuse to buy new tools etc. It can be quite fun!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:50 AM   #8
SD Kitty

We purchased a 3250RL Arcadia last year. We had a couple of issues but all in all it is great. We pulled it through Southern Cal last year with their horrible potholed highways and pounded the trailer. It held together really fine - ie nothing fell off or broke with the pounding/bouncing. It has my vote as well put together. I will say the TV bounced off the clip and we found it open when we stopped the first night so anchored it better. Regarding the tires, we changed them out after 3600 miles as the two tires on the drivers side separated and we found out with out TPMS going off with a slow leak and high temp alarm! Our Dealer was great and fixed the small issue without contest. Good luck, its a solid product. As with any new product stuff happens. :-)
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
MRI TRAVELER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercFE View Post
I just wanted to vent and to find out if anyone else is having the same issues. We would love this trailer if we didn't have so many issues. We had the bring it in 3 times for A/C issues, this week will be the 4th time for the fridge not cooling, the outside lights and awning, the screen and normal door not latching properly. Keep in mind we received this trailer in March and never used it until May, so realistically I have used it 4 times in 4 months. Every time we bring it in it is min of 2 weeks to get parts etc. We really feel that we bought a lemon trailer from keystone. This is our first trailer, Should I be concerned about future Keystones?

thanks
I purchased my Arcadia summer of 21 and I've lived in it since that time. I really haven't had big issues, only some miner things that I've fixed myself. Like some of the other replies, there are things that go bad with all makes. Your issues seem to be bigger ones though, hopefully Keystone will stand behind them. Sorry for your issues, it does make it hard to enjoy with all that going on. Good Luck, D
MRI TRAVELER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
Alpine

Quote:

thanks
Absolutely feel for you and your issues. I did not get a clear "read" from your initial post... did you purchase your Arcadia from the same dealer you are taking it too?

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #11
HercFE

Thanks

Thank you all for the comments. Our dealer has been great and has been assisting as much as possible. I will get these issues fixed and hopefully it is smooth sailing.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:47 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you all for the comments. Our dealer has been great and has been assisting as much as possible. I will get these issues fixed and hopefully it is smooth sailing.
Quote:
... We had the bring it in 3 times for A/C issues, this week will be the 4th time for the fridge not cooling, the outside lights and awning, the screen and normal door not latching properly. Keep in mind we received this trailer in March and never used it until May, so realistically I have used it 4 times in 4 months. Every time we bring it in it is min of 2 weeks to get parts etc. ...
I think, based on your posts, that the comment about the dealer being great might be inaccurate. It looks like the multiple returns are specifically the "dealer's inability to repair your trailer".... I'd suggest that inability to do reliable repair work puts the dealer's service department in the "barely adequate" to "don't trust them with your trailer" category....

That dealership, ANY dealership that needs 3 times to fix an A/C problem and 4 times to fix a refrigerator problem simply isn't doing the job.

Now, not "defending Keystone" but rather looking objectively, the A/C is built by Dometic, AirExcel or Coleman and the refrigerator is built by Dometic, Norcold, Samsung or some "third world company"... All Keystone does is install them in the trailer. It's up to the dealer's service department to effectively troubleshoot and repair issues with those components. All Keystone's responsibility (during the first year of ownership) is to process the warranty claims to get the dealership reimbursed.

Seems to me your problems pretty much "originate with the dealership". I'd "aim the blame" there, not with Keystone for the repeated failures to fix your trailer.....

There's an "old argument" that states, "Keystone should use better components that are more reliable".... That's true, but objectively, if they did, most of us wouldn't pay that kind of price for the trailer... So, build them cheap enough to be affordable and "EXPECT the dealer" to fix what needs repair.... Your dealer isn't living up to that end of the bargain.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-31-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
"Our dealer has been great"?????
I guess that means as long as you keep taking it back they'll keep trying to fix the same problems over & over & over. They might actually accidentally get it right some time before the 1 year warranty expires. They'll tell you then your out out of warranty & will cost you $XXXX to get it repaired.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:30 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think, based on your posts, that the comment about the dealer being great might be inaccurate. It looks like the multiple returns are specifically the "dealer's inability to repair your trailer".... I'd suggest that inability to do reliable repair work puts the dealer's service department in the "barely adequate" to "don't trust them with your trailer" category....

That dealership, ANY dealership that needs 3 times to fix an A/C problem and 4 times to fix a refrigerator problem simply isn't doing the job.

Now, not "defending Keystone" but rather looking objectively, the A/C is built by Dometic, AirExcel or Coleman and the refrigerator is built by Dometic, Norcold, Samsung or some "third world company"... All Keystone does is install them in the trailer. It's up to the dealer's service department to effectively troubleshoot and repair issues with those components. All Keystone's responsibility (during the first year of ownership) is to process the warranty claims to get the dealership reimbursed.

Seems to me your problems pretty much "originate with the dealership". I'd "aim the blame" there, not with Keystone for the repeated failures to fix your trailer.....

There's an "old argument" that states, "Keystone should use better components that are more reliable".... That's true, but objectively, if they did, most of us wouldn't pay that kind of price for the trailer... So, build them cheap enough to be affordable and "EXPECT the dealer" to fix what needs repair.... Your dealer isn't living up to that end of the bargain.
Which company that makes RV appliances has better quality than the ones you mentioned? I think the list may be a bit short as you pretty much hit them all except Furrion. I see they are now building RV A/C units so it is only a matter of time till they move into Dometic and Coleman's market space with the OEMs.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

As has been noted I'm not sure your dealer has the expertise to correct the A/C and fridge problems. Those units are covered by the manufacturer warranty, not Keystone, they're simply a paper handler. You might have much better success by finding an authorized repairman for those units then calling the manufacturer and having the repairs authorized for the repairman vs the dealer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

A local mobile RV tech in my area is certified by many of the appliance companies and I suspect that is fairly common else they will lose business when a customer finds they are not certified to install/repair by the appliance company. Don't know much about dealers in general but if they require multiple visits (down time for you), would look at alternatives as has been mentioned. I read in an RV business magazine (this month's issue) that certified techs are in short supply so the person(s) who monkeyed around with your appliances may know no more than the man in the moon.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:40 PM   #17
Lewis0673

We bought an Arcadia 3660 in June 2021.
We had a few problems that I relate to factory issues, like the walk in closet pole collapsed when we hung up our clothes. The screws were so small that the the brackets pulled out of the bottom of the shelf. I redrilled the holes and used nut and bolt, then used a noctched 2x4 to support the shelf.
The upper shelves in the pantry kept sliding off there pads, a little two sided tape helped, but it's a poor design.
The shelf behind the tv....the staples pulled out and shelf fell out.
Watch the tires very closely, I have replaced one for seperating and maybe an axle issue on another.
Less than 5000 miles.
Lewis0673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #18
LERD

Quote:

thanks

When you mentioned the Lemon Law, my mind shot right back to this Youtube channel that I watch all of the time. He doesn't have all of the answers about your rig, but he has links that can help you.
this video came out just last week, and it's relevant. Good luck!

LERD is offline   Reply With Quote