Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 06:22 PM   #1

Full suspension replacement.

We have had our cougar 336 since new. 2016, it’s a 2017 model year. Have taken it to Fort wilderness from PA twice. Alabama and Mississippi and just recently took it out to Minnesota and back the long way. Well on the way back the springs gave up. Tires wore. Mounting points elongated etc etc. driving like a stage coach she made it home, barely. So just gonna replace everything I’m thinking. Found so axle packages fairly affordable. Had 5200# on it. Thinking I’ll go w 6k and the springs to match as what’s on there seems to be spec bare minimum. Looking at Tek wood the stock stuff is listed at 86.5 /68.5 measurements. All the stock axles are 85/70. Is there really a difference and keystone has the special spec axles different than all the others or what. The tekwood 5200# are 1700$ Shopping around there’s about 10 competes with springs hubs and brake kits in the 500-1000$ range. Do I really need the 86.5/68.5 ?? I’m looking at clearances and it dosent seem like it. Maybe they lost the 1.5” on the spring centers by using a cheesy spring?? Thinking if I gonna replace the springs and the morryde I might as well just get the axles and never look back. Gotta buy new tires anyhow now so I’ll be sitting on new everything instead of cobbling it back together. Plus I’m not sure the rough riding didn’t do some damage. And I don’t feel like sacrificing tires to find out.
336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

If you are going to do all that I would just go with the disc brake upgrade if you are going to keep the trailer. The folks at Performance Trailer Braking came to my home, replaced axles, springs, suspension, shackles, installed MorRyde Xfactor cross members and disc brakes. I know they go to some places in the NE but you would have to check with them. Phenomenal service, installation and folks. Their link;

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #3
Javi

Take a look at Performance Trailer Braking, I and many others on the forum have been very pleased with their knowledge and product.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're considering a disc brake upgrade, I'd also recommend Performance Trailer Braking.

If you're planning to keep the drum brake system, I'd recommend most anyone but Trekwood. Why? Their shipping will be more than the cost of the axles....

I just upgraded my 5200 pound Lippert axles to 6000 pound Dexter axles, new springs, wet bolt kit, kept the Morryde CRE3000 system and installed Morryde X-Factor cross braces on all three spring hangers.

I bought my axles from https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/ Their prices include shipping and they have a military/veteran discount if you're a veteran. If you want to talk to them about what they can do for you, ask for Sarah Mooney. She's the one that set up my order and was a wealth of knowledge through the entire process.

As for "Keystone using 86.5/68.5 axle measurements, that's pretty much the "Lippert standard for all RV manufacturers".... It's not "just Keystone".....

Since Lippert builds "virtually every conventional welded RV towable frame" it's the same frame and same suspension under a Jayco, a GD, a Forest River or a Keystone.....

A "caution about having a Keystone dealer change out your axles: When I approached three dealerships over the winter when they were looking for work to keep the shop open, they all three jumped at the opportunity to do my trailer. Keystone in Goshen refused to ship 6000 pound axles for installation on my trailer. They said that their "engineering department wouldn't sign off on the modification" so they wouldn't ship the parts. Trying to buy the axles from Dexter at that time was more than double the price of buying them from Trailer Parts Outlet. So, I decided to just do it myself. It's not a technically difficult job, but it is a lot of manual labor and you'll need a helper that can lay on a creeper under the trailer to help "muscle axles into position".....

PS: YES, you really need the 86.5/68.5 measurements. That's the only way you'll be able to keep the springs positioned under the frame rails on the spring hangers and keep the tires in the wheelwells.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
travelin texans

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th using PTB. They are great folks & do an excellent job from start to finish. Had them install disc brakes & upgraded tire/wheel combo.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:29 AM   #6

Thanks guys. Not considering the disk upgrade. Looks very nice but I don’t feel like adding 5k$ to a 5/6 year old Rv. I’m looking at trailer parts depot and also trailer parts unlimited. I was planning to to it myself. I wouldn’t trust any of the camper dealers around here to do it right or for less than 5k$. Also I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t do the upgrade in weight as stated above. Thanks for the tips. I’m gonna call those 2 places and see where I get. 2 frame shops in the area said they were weeks out and really didn’t want it either. One offered to walk me thru any questions.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

JRTJH went w the trailer parts outlet. Guys were great to work with. Upgraded to 6k axles and springs. Got new morryde cre 3000 equalizers and wet bolt kits. Kept the correct track. New tires on the rears that got shredded. Basically all new and upgraded capacity. Sold the old gear to a local farmer who was building a hay trailer for $400. Cost me $2000 for the axles springs and hardware. And about $300 for the equalizers and wet bolts. Maiden voyage this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	318DEA8D-B140-447B-8148-67B8F0A8FB7B.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	41880   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DF83308-9C41-4B5B-B906-A405C279B647.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	41881   Click image for larger version

Name:	799A44B2-5051-454D-8241-D1B8CDE3CFED.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	41882   Click image for larger version

Name:	A70AA62A-08C0-48A4-B10A-B3BFFE1D1799.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	41883   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E12E039-D842-4AC7-A00D-6430DC9EF315.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	41884  

Old 10-04-2022, 03:52 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
JRTJH went w the trailer parts outlet. Guys were great to work with. Upgraded to 6k axles and springs. Got new morryde cre 3000 equalizers and wet bolt kits. Kept the correct track. New tires on the rears that got shredded. Basically all new and upgraded capacity. Sold the old gear to a local farmer who was building a hay trailer for $400. Cost me $2000 for the axles springs and hardware. And about $300 for the equalizers and wet bolts. Maiden voyage this weekend.
About the only difference I can see with your new suspension and the way I did it is that I also installed the Moryde X Factor crossmember braces at all three spring hangers.

We just recently towed from northern Michigan to North Carolina and the trailer performed better than it did with the lighter OEM axles. We didn't have any "rear kitchen cupboard damage or rearrangement of contents" which had been happening on every trip with the OEM axles/springs.

I think you'll have the same experience, at least I hope you do. Keep us posted on how your new suspension performs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote