Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #1
larryflew

Add on leveling systems

When we got our 2011 Alpine (sold yesterday) we had a 6 point Lippert hydraulic level up installed. Now looking for a specific toy hauler and it appears none of them have leveling systems. Since we are now spoiled (and Old Farts) we want leveling. The toy haulers we are looking at are in the 14K weight range and 38 feetish.

Looking for suggestions especially from some of you RV jockeys that work on these things.

Obviously want to be reasonable in price but reliability is most important. Also if any of you do those installs we would be interested in hearing from you. The dealer that installed our Lippert system in 2013 sucked and we where lucky Lippert themselves sent service reps to wherever we where 4 times in 4 years for repairs from Arizona to Minnesota.

Yes related to my earlier thread about weight of toy hauler without a toy ;-)
Old 08-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your TH a bumper pull or 5er? How long? You could install hydraulic (level up) or electric (ground control).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
larryflew

Oooops it is going to be a 5th wheel. Any advantage to either of those?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
bsmith0404

The biggest difference that I see between the two (other than cost), the hydraulic is faster, has more range and more lifting power. The power part isn’t critical since both have enough to level the RV. I’ve gotten spoiled with hydraulic systems. IMO they are more reliable, at least they seemed to have fewer problems. When I worked at a dealership, it seemed like people were always having issues with the electric systems. Only issue I ever saw with hydraulic was the occasional leaking jack. Of course that seemed to be more prevalent lately than it used to be.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
larryflew

Kind of leaning that way just because we liked the 6 point level up we had on the Alpine but thought I would see what others thought since they are about $6K as an ad on.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Oooops it is going to be a 5th wheel. Any advantage to either of those?
IMO electric is an easier install (BTDT) and the newer ones have extendable inner legs on the rears so range isn’t a real issue any more. Hydraulic is faster and maybe has more capacity, but IMO there is more failure parts than the electric.

Hydraulic hoses, pump, solenoid valves. Electric has overrides at each jack. JMHO, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
larryflew

Assuming either one being suggested is Lippert but tell me if that is not correct.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Yes Lippert. One other thing to consider as well, it’s easier to find shops that can install the electric. The dealership I worked at was certified for electric systems, but not hydraulic. If I remember correctly, Lippert wouldn’t even ship a hydraulic system to them.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:01 AM   #9
ChuckS

Another hydraulic leveling system to consider is made by Equalizer Systems.. many if the 2022 Alpines are now coming with this system instead of Lippert…

I prefer Lippert and that’s what is on my alpine ..

https://eqsystems.us/product-category/fifth-wheels/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:47 AM   #10
Stircrazy

instalation wise the electric system would be way easier than a hydrualic setup. I don't know so much about more issues with the electrical setups, I think 99.9% if the issues were caused by the user, even my two issues. once I got good at estimating how many leveling blocks I would need for a site I have never had a out of stroke or any other issue since.

repair wise the electrical would be better also.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:37 AM   #11
larryflew

Unusual but am not getting any information out of Lippert regarding Level Up installers so we are probably going to go with 6 point ground control.

EDIT
Getting it installed by Etrailer at total cost of $3642.68 which happens to be the LCI price direct to customer for the equipment to do it yourself.

As a side note I contacted Lippert and they said they have no installers for the hydraulic system and no longer show the system for sale on their web site.

Also the toy hauler we settled on is a Forest River Vengeance 39 foot 5th wheel toy hauler. Really liked our Keystone Alpine but could not find a Keystone product that fit the needs we had. I will still hang out here as there is a LOT of great information that fits most 5th wheels.

Tags
leveling