Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
wegone

Black tank flushing

I was reading at my black tank attachment that the "fullway valve" HAS TO BE OPEN to use that option....
Not sure if this is why some backflow preventive valves leak when folks use there's....????

Not sure, just tossing it out, I know mine has leaked when trying to fill the tank up to full thinking I not always have a full tank when I dump.

I can't get it to leak with the valve open, I think the closed system is putting back pressure on these flimsy valves????
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I was reading at my black tank attachment that the "fullway valve" HAS TO BE OPEN to use that option....
Not sure if this is why some backflow preventive valves leak when folks use there's....????

Not sure, just tossing it out, I know mine has leaked when trying to fill the tank up to full thinking I not always have a full tank when I dump.

I can't get it to leak with the valve open, I think the closed system is putting back pressure on these flimsy valves????

I'm so glad you brought this subject up. As i work through my New To Us Laredo.... Mine talks about the "Fullway Valve" also. What is it and where is it? Would like some knowledge of what to do etc. as this Laredo has no Owners Manual and nor am i versed in this subject.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
BauerAP

The fullway valve is the drain. This is so you don’t over fill the tank from the outside causing leaking “contaminates” in the floor of your bathroom.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
The fullway valve is the drain. This is so you don’t over fill the tank from the outside causing leaking “contaminates” in the floor of your bathroom.
so, there is another drain valve other than the Black Tank drain(?). If so, where would it be located? Inside the coach? or elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:39 PM   #5
BauerAP

The fullway valve and black tank valve are one in the same. The sticker saying don’t use without full way open seems confusing.
In the system, there is the toilet valve which dumps and adds water and then the black tank flush that only adds water and then the black tank valve that only dumps. If one were to black tank flush without the tank drain valve open, the tank would eventually fill and overflow. There are only a few options for this “water” to go. It would find the weakest link most likely the toilet flange or the rubber gasket around the toilet valve.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
The fullway valve and black tank valve are one in the same. The sticker saying don’t use without full way open seems confusing.
In the system, there is the toilet valve which dumps and adds water and then the black tank flush that only adds water and then the black tank valve that only dumps. If one were to black tank flush without the tank drain valve open, the tank would eventually fill and overflow. There are only a few options for this “water” to go. It would find the weakest link most likely the toilet flange or the rubber gasket around the toilet valve.
Correct....HOWEVER, these toilets are NOT anti-syphon in nature.
UPC, and all health codes require a minimum of 1 inch air separation from potable water to drain/waste from critical flood rim, which would be the top of the bowl, in this case. Note your water enters into the bowl without that air break, which means if the toilet was full to the point of overflowing, your water and plumbing has already been exposed to contamination. With this flush connection, they avoid that risk by installing a back flow preventer, just like what you have on sprinkler systems to water your lawn.... it is the cheapest, and easiest way to address this issue, however, when they experience any sort of back pressure AT ALL, the water will spill out of the "air break" it doesn't take much....even just shutting the water off can cause it to "open" and spew out residual water.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The "fullway" valve does not have to be open to use the black tank flush or to back flush the black tank. If it isn't it means you have to be very vigilant and KNOW how much water you are putting in and when to pull that valve. I just time/watch/listen to mine. Don't! let someone get you involved in a conversation or something else and forget. I've never done that, but...

First trip in this trailer (new). I had flushed and rinsed the black tank and were inside. The park folks were mowing and weedeating and I heard the guy outside running the weedeater and never gave it a thought (I watched him move to work around the ped/water faucet). A while later I smelled something odd; looked around then went upstairs. Stepped into the bedroom into water. I use a Y and leave my black tank hose connected when staying for longer periods. He had hit that Y with the weedeater and turned the water on to the black tank flush. It just ran until it overfilled and ran into the trailer. A small amount ran down into the heater duct as well. So be careful! I still use the Y and leave the hose connected but there is a separate on/off valve on the end of the hose in the convenience center now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
HouseMouse

Thanks Guys! I was totally confused on this issue. Was going to crawl around underneath to have a look. Yes, I did hook up a hose to the Flush System momentarily to see what happened and I could hear the Tank Swishing about. Knew it worked.... Just didn't know how or what the "Special Valve" was. It all is much clearer now.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Thanks Guys! I was totally confused on this issue. Was going to crawl around underneath to have a look. Yes, I did hook up a hose to the Flush System momentarily to see what happened and I could hear the Tank Swishing about. Knew it worked.... Just didn't know how or what the "Special Valve" was. It all is much clearer now.
Hopefully you used a dedicated hose for that & NOT your drinking water hose? If not you should now use that hose as that dedicated black tank flush hose & marked as such & purchase a new drinking water hose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #10
Pir8t40

Help, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2021 alpine 3320mk, not my first 5th wheel. I can't get the black or Grey tanks to drain unless it unhook the trailer put blocks under the non drain side wheels and use the leveling system to raise the front end up. Dealer tells me that is normal
( lol). Any suggestions?
Pir8t40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:10 AM   #11
HouseMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8t40 View Post
Help, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2021 alpine 3320mk, not my first 5th wheel. I can't get the black or Grey tanks to drain unless it unhook the trailer put blocks under the non drain side wheels and use the leveling system to raise the front end up. Dealer tells me that is normal
( lol). Any suggestions?
That is not "Normal". Sounds like a Dealer visit is in order. Demand service to correct.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:16 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
( lol). Any suggestions?
NO that is not normal. I'd first ask, is the location where you're trying to drain the tanks at a local campground or "in your back yard on a hill" ?????

If it's in a commercial dump facility or in a campground, either your leveling system is "off level" and preventing the tanks from draining by "tilting them away from the drain opening" or your trailer was built with a problem (incorrectly installed holding tanks).

I've NEVER seen a trailer that had to be "tilted toward the drain before the tanks will drain"... What is puzzling is your statement that both the black and the gray tanks have the same problem. That would mean ALL the holding tanks are installed incorreclty... That's pretty hard to do, even for a "first day on the job employee", so I'd suspect there's something else going on. I'd look at the discharge pipes from the tanks to the sewer outlet connector and the routing of the drain pipes from the "remote tanks" to the connector. It sounds like there's an "uphill run somewhere in the plumbing" or tanks that have slipped down/tilted down on the high end, preventing them from draining toward the outlet.

At any rate, there's a problem either with the leveling system "not setting the trailer level which is preventing the tanks from draining" or the "tanks and outlet plumbing are not properly installed which prevents them from draining"

Bottom line, with the trailer "truly level" the tanks should drain to the sewer outlet. There is no "logical explanation" for why you have to jack up the front and put blocks under the "off side wheels" to get the tanks to drain.....

NO, they are not all "built that way".... Someone in your dealership service department is feeding you what really should be in the black tank !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:48 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
( lol). Any suggestions?
Define "drain" first. If you are talking every last drop then MAYBE not if the tank is just a tiny bit off. The tanks are are very shallow and it's like water pouring from a cookie sheet. Now if your talking about not draining at all ( say nothing flowing when the tank is 1/8 to 1/4 full then there's a serious issue with either the tanks or the drain line, period.

Do you have a clear pipe extension on the outlet where you connect the hose? If you don't then get one. Then you can see how well it's draining and if it's draining.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Like the others, that is NOT normal....at all. Having to disconnect and block it up is ridiculous and it's ridiculous for the dealer to tell you it's normal.

Since ALL the tanks won't drain it sure sounds like the trailer is not level and tilted back so they can't drain. Have you put a level on it to see what you have? The auto level may have never been calibrated. Also put that clear extension on so you can see what's going on. If all those things have been done the dealer has some warranty work to do (if it is still in warranty).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #15
travelin texans

If you're looking at the sensors inside then most likely the tanks are already empty regardless of what those useless sensors may be reading, they are known to totally useless for any kind of accurate information.
As Marshall mentioned, get that clear fitting & when it stops running out its empty.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:00 AM   #16
skids

I recommend using a spray wand to clean the sides of the tank when needed. Preventative maintenance with this thing is a good idea IMO.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #17
wegone

Yeah my black tank was reading more than it had in it.....

I have the clear fitting on the discharge just to gauge and ensure total dumping of dumps

The wand cleared that up with a good cleaning.

If you use the wand be very careful to not let that spinning cleaning head rest on your tank walls, mine spins faster than the words coming out of a politician's mouth and could see it cutting the plastic holding tank walls because its brass and harder than plastic.

I would like to know just how much waste he is talking about too....

I can't see of any install mistakes that could possibly happen that would allow such a condition to exist.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #18
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post

The wand cleared that up with a good cleaning.

If you use the wand be very careful to not let that spinning cleaning head rest on your tank walls, mine spins faster than the words coming out of a politician's mouth and could see it cutting the plastic holding tank walls because its brass and harder than plastic.
I opted for the wand that doesn't spin. For me, simple is better. BTW make sure they spray head is below the toilet flange while the water is on!
Old 08-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #19
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I opted for the wand that doesn't spin. For me, simple is better. BTW make sure they spray head is below the toilet flange while the water is on!
Great, I bought the one that has a flexible shaft and its longer than the fixed shaft.
My thinking is it will afford me better access into all areas of my waste system.
I will just need to fashion a "collar" to the end by the spin head to keep it off the tank walls, and waste lines, as I can almost poke it all the way to the fullway valve on the outlet, keeping that seal clean and tight and no surprises when you pull the cap to attach the hose
Old 08-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #20
Camp CA

The warning is there to remine the operator that flushing the black tank with the dump valve closed will overflow the toilet. I flush/fill the black tank with an inline totalizing flow meter with the black tank dump valve closed a few times until the black water is clear.

Tags
black tank, tank