Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
Lost

Tire sensors

Just purchased a 2021 GMC AT4 fully loaded with all the chips…lol
When I hook up the 5th wheel it wants me to program all trailers I hook up to the truck. What I saw is it will give me the tire pressure of my 5 wheel trailer. What do I need to add to my trailer tires so I can get the tire pressure? And does it work being 20’ from the truck?? Also can I do this with my boat trailer?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
LHaven

Somebody here might have a firm answer for you, but it's going to be specific to your GMC truck, not to the trailer.

A typical add-on trailer TPMS has screw-on sensors for all the stems, and a repeater/booster unit mounted somewhere on the frontside to boost the signal to your truck receiver, due to the distance (as you note). You may or may not need the relay for a boat trailer, depending on signal strength and shorter distance. The signals are pretty strong -- my booster, located on the tongue next to my battery box, actually reads the sensor on my spare, mounted on the back bumper, "through" the entire length of my trailer.

But the big question is, what brand TPMS is your GMC's builtin receiver looking for? I would think the manual ought to cover that.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:08 PM   #3
bobbecky

If the system in the truck will only work with GM sensors, you will have to install the compatible sensors in the wheels. Might just be easier to use a different system for the trailers that you want to monitor.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:41 AM   #4
RVGator

I recently added GM’s Trailer Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor - GM part #85110397 to my 5th wheel. If your truck didn’t come with the sensors you can buy them from your dealer or online by using the part # above. I took my 5th wheel to Discount Tire to have them installed and the setup process in the truck is very user friendly. You can set in the truck what pressure they should be at and it will alarm you if the pressure drops. They also monitor the temp of the tires which is an added bonus. For me it is a great feature of the GM trucks. I like that it is integrated and you don’t have to have another monitor on the dash.

Because my 5th wheel has G rated tires they have the larger valve stems which caused me some issues but I plan on putting together a post detailing how I figured that out.

Enjoy your truck, it is a nice one!
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote