Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
Halcyon

New CO/LP detector

My 2018 Sprinter 5er’s detector has aged out, not to mention it detects when nothing is on (gas, electric). This one has gone off several times, only two of which I could determine a cause. (Most recently we were parked next to a busy truck route and I think that maybe the CO was detecting the exhaust from the traffic). When it goes off, it is so loud that my dogs, my wife and I scream in pain. It has a “reset” button, but that does not turn off the siren. In replacing it, I would like to have an “off” button so that I can talk to my wife and think about what was setting it off. Does anyone have or know of such a device with that capability?
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Only way to turn a Co/LP detector off is to remove the power to it. In the "old days" there were LP detectors that you had to turn on and wait for it to warm up before it activated a solenoid that allowed LP to flow, but I havent seen a replacement with the same feature for a while.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I had to replace mine last year. Same thing; it decided to go off and nothing was going to make it stop. DW was having a conniption fit so I just popped it off the mount, took a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters) and cut the wire to it....silence!! I used a direct replacement for it but in my looking I didn't see anything that you can electively "silence". For all intents and purposes that would negate the requirement that they always be on.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote