Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureBound View Post
Thanks for all your replies & advice. And your understanding re: salesmen! My wife called another dealer today, who called her 'sweetheart' & said access to him comes free with the vehicle. Ugh.

Here's where we're at with the TV:
I found 2 RAM 2500s in stock. Payload is 2700 lb (as per the door sticker!), so that's great. It's hard to tell what options are included re: towing from the online info. Is anyone familiar with the options I should look for in order to get a good towing experience with these trucks? Thanks again.
If you can open the window sticker on those two RAM 2500 trucks, you'll find the engine, transmission, rear end ratio and any towing packages either as "standard build" or "replaced by optional selections" (usually upgraded rear end gearing, larger engine, trailer tow package, electronic brake controller, etc.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:25 AM   #22
NH_Bulldog

2,700 lbs cargo capacity seems a little low for a 3/4 ton truck. That’s only about 300 lbs more than my F-150. A gas model Ram 2500 should be about 3,400–4,000 lbs. my new F250 is supposed to be 3,800 lbs cargo capacity
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #23
AdventureBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
2,700 lbs cargo capacity seems a little low for a 3/4 ton truck. That’s only about 300 lbs more than my F-150. A gas model Ram 2500 should be about 3,400–4,000 lbs. my new F250 is supposed to be 3,800 lbs cargo capacity
That's what I thought, but haven't found anything higher yet. I found a used F250 but it showed only 2000 lb on the door sticker. Tricky.
AdventureBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #24
precab

We have a passport 2520 and have enjoyed it since 2018 new. I view keystone branded TT as a mid level or chevy model. If we went shopping again I would buy a Grand Designs since you get what you pay for typically

You do not need a large 3/4 ton truck to tow a passport. I do recommend you stay 29' or shorter for east tow life. We have a 25'

If u are truck shopping the new F150 Powerboost w the built in 7.2kw generator is a game changer for rv and boondock life not to mention power ur house after a power outage. 24-26 mpg city and 20-21 hwy is impressive for a large brick in the wind. Towing is 9-10 mpg and not much you can do about that u less you have a Diesel option.
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:39 AM   #25
wegone

If u are truck shopping the new F150 Powerboost w the built in 7.2kw generator is a game changer for rv and boondock life not to mention power ur house after a power outage.

Is this option also called the "widow maker" or do they come with a transfer switch for the house?

I saw that commercial and wondered how they failed to mention the thousands of dollars you'll need to upgrade your panel to accept the generator.

I've seen many folks just use a male to male extension cord from their portable generator, if you forget to throw your main breakers that power travels back down the line and can kill folks working on the outage.

We have lots of outages where I live and folks are just stupid in a ignorant way.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by precab View Post
We have a passport 2520 and have enjoyed it since 2018 new. I view keystone branded TT as a mid level or chevy model. If we went shopping again I would buy a Grand Designs since you get what you pay for typically

You do not need a large 3/4 ton truck to tow a passport. I do recommend you stay 29' or shorter for east tow life. We have a 25'

If u are truck shopping the new F150 Powerboost w the built in 7.2kw generator is a game changer for rv and boondock life not to mention power ur house after a power outage. 24-26 mpg city and 20-21 hwy is impressive for a large brick in the wind. Towing is 9-10 mpg and not much you can do about that u less you have a Diesel option.
I don't understand wanting to let your $50k+ truck sit and idle for hours to power your rv, or home, when a $2-3k generator would be much more economical.
Plus as already mentioned unless your home is properly equipped to run on an external power source DO NOT connect your truck to it. Ford needs to add a disclaimer (idiot label) to that truck for those that think they could lower their electric bill by plugging in their "new F150" to the house.
Also the need for more truck is not based on length as much as the gross weight of the rv compared to the payload of any given truck. That 25'er could be just as heavy as the 29'er depending on what's loaded into it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I don't understand wanting to let your $50k+ truck sit and idle for hours to power your rv, or home, when a $2-3k generator would be much more economical.
Plus as already mentioned unless your home is properly equipped to run on an external power source DO NOT connect your truck to it. Ford needs to add a disclaimer (idiot label) to that truck for those that think they could lower their electric bill by plugging in their "new F150" to the house.
Also the need for more truck is not based on length as much as the gross weight of the rv compared to the payload of any given truck. That 25'er could be just as heavy as the 29'er depending on what's loaded into it.
I believe a home must have a transfer switch with multiples switches for rooms/items to be powered. You are not going to run your homes major electrical systems from a truck's generator electricity. I have a transfer switch in my home under my power panel and do NOT have the A/C-heat, electric stove and microwave tied in (or my well pump or booster pump). I have all the bedrooms (one with 5K BTU A/C and an oil filled heater if needed) and can power my refrigerators, televisions, coffee pot and internet/computer stuff if power is down. A good transfer switch is fairly expensive and although I usually wire stuff myself, had an electrician install the switch. On the outside of my house is a 30A inlet plug with the proper gauge wiring to the transfer switch. I have a 6500W WEN inverter generator with a 30A out I connect to it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #28
wegone

On the outside of my house is a 30A inlet plug with the proper gauge wiring to the transfer switch. I have a 6500W WEN inverter generator with a 30A out I connect to it.

As it SHOULD BE....

You can't run a whole house unless you have the proper equipment....PERIOD.

Have you ever seen the damage to a house when a over loaded circuit gets hot, or the overloaded appliances get fried when a generator runs out of fuel as the power current winds down?
Old 03-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Like anything else, there's the proper way to do things and often "hillbilly engineering" has the very real possability of getting someone killed.

As for those Ford truck commercials, I'm waiting for the inevitable death related to improper use. Can just imagine a lovely couple in a tent with a short extension cord. They plug in a space heater and go to sleep. It gets cold, the heater kicks on and a while later the truck with its exhaust mere feet away starts up. They never wake up again.

Or the unwitting owner that plugs the deep freeze in the garage into the truck. They think, I don't want someone to steal the truck so I'll pull it into the garage. The battery keeps up for a few hours then the truck starts up. I don't know how you idiot proof that. There's been so many warnings, commercials, publications telling folks not to run a generator in a garage and yet every year peoply die doing just that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #30
wegone

"hillbilly engineering"

It's more than just that.
As I shared before here on the island, we get outages all through winter, some lasting days.

Now we have summer homes for some well to do folks, on the water, etc.

Most of the "newer owners" let's call it new wealth, have "upgraded" their 5000 square feet cabins to showcase their wealth....
Envy, hell no

The old owners who more likely than not, resided in these homes full time, and a generator was properly installed.

Now the new owners added the extra 3000 square feet to their home but didn't address the generator circuit.

Nor did the contractor or inspectors who saw the expansions.

They leave these homes on 24/7 when away, because they just might want to visit, etc.
These are propane systems, where the service tanks are always topped off on schedules, so fuel is always there to keep everything running, on normal power or in an outage.

Putting the finishing touches on one of these homes right now, that burnt to the ground, when no one was there.

Gee....how could that happen?
Old 03-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

I thought it would be "out of character" for Ford to "forget to mention" or "cover their butt" or "ignore something that could cost them millions", so I checked the F150 Owner's Manual to see what's there.

I realize that one of the several reasons that require forfeiture of a "man card" is to actually admit to reading the instructions to anything, but......

The Ford F150 Owner's Manual does contain warnings about not connecting the truck to any premesis, including building or recreational vehicles. The warnings also include not operating the vehicle in a garage or other closed space...

Also, in another "remote and distant" part of the manual is a warning about not idling the vehicle when parked on dry grass or other materials that might catch fire from the "hot catalytic converter"...

So much for using it in a unimproved campground where there's grass, weeds, dry leaves and no fire department to put out the truck/trailer fire "when it happens".....

So, yeah, it's in the manual.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FORD 7.2KW WARNINGS.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	38980   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORD CATALYTIC CONVERTER WARNINGS.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	38981  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I thought it would be "out of character" for Ford to "forget to mention" or "cover their butt" or "ignore something that could cost them millions", so I checked the F150 Owner's Manual to see what's there.

I realize that one of the several reasons that require forfeiture of a "man card" is to actually admit to reading the instructions to anything, but......

The Ford F150 Owner's Manual does contain warnings about not connecting the truck to any premesis, including building or recreational vehicles. The warnings also include not operating the vehicle in a garage or other closed space...

Also, in another "remote and distant" part of the manual is a warning about not idling the vehicle when parked on dry grass or other materials that might catch fire from the "hot catalytic converter"...

So much for using it in a unimproved campground where there's grass, weeds, dry leaves and no fire department to put out the truck/trailer fire "when it happens".....

So, yeah, it's in the manual.....
And those same owner's manuals say to not exceed the load ratings, tow ratings, speed limits, etc., etc. Every gas generator for the last few decades have had warning labels as do space heaters, etc. Unfortunatly owner's manuals and warning labels don't fix stupidity.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #33
crowbar

I have been pulling a heavier trailer than yours with an F150 for years now and have no problem at all with it. So I know it would work for you if you chose the right truck for the job. But since you said that you might be packing up to 5 people with you, you might be cutting it fine. That being said, if money's not the problem, I agree with what GHen said at the outset, if you're the least bit concerned about your weights, then you should go with the 250. I wouldn't want to be driving on the highway always nervous and worried instead of relaxed and having a great time. Cheers - Roy

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, new member, passport