Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #1
Lettikka

New rear ladder

Hi guys,
I've got a new 330RL and it was supposed to come with a ladder but it did not. Keystone says they didn't charge the dealer for it but needed to ship the new units so they went out without one. At first the dealer told me we would get one when they became available, then they told me that the 330RL was not built to handle a ladder structurally. Keystone is saying its on me to get one and the camper is fine to have a ladder installed.

Anyone impressed with an aftermarket ladder they have purchased and installed?
Lettikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2014 Cougar 27RKS did not come with a ladder. I've "survived quite well" without having the holes on the roof and the rear wall that leak and contribute to water damage and wood rot/mold from loose, leaking ladders....

If I were you, I'd buy a collapsable ladder to put in the passthrough and thank your lucky stars that you won't have to deal with the issues of loose screws, leaking DICOR sealant and damaged rear wall on your new trailer.....

Here's the type ladder I bought 8 years ago and have used without any problems every time I need to get on the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Augtarlion-Te...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LADDER.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	38785  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I had thought that Keystone said they were doing away with the ladders (since they are essentially only cosmetic anyway)? I think most people with ladders don’t trust them anyway. I don’t have a ladder and I am thankful NOT to have one! I have a ladder like John and it is perfect!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
Lettikka

You know man, you might be exactly right. The reason I was pushing for the mounted ladder is that the outside storage on the 330RL is fairly weak. i don't have a pass through. it is mostly taken up with the water heater. The suggested ladder would not fit. it would fit in a small space under the bedroom. Dangit. I'm torn. I really want the camper to be set up and "self sufficent". Not plan to put a bunch of stuff in the truck. Torn man, torn. Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Needing a ladder might also depend on your camping style. We spend 45 +/- nights on the road each season and I have never had the need to get on the roof while traveling. One could literally fill a truck with everything you “might” need (but never, ever use). At some point, you just go with the minimum and be happier for it.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
Lettikka

I hear ya NH,
I can be a little overprotective when it comes to being prepared. I think I will go with the collapsible and figure out where to put it. There is so little outside storage I have been playing with the idea of building a belly pan between the frame rails for stuff that can be difficult to get to. I put an 8' cooler rack on the back and that has helped out a lot.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I initially bought my ladder because I needed to get on the roof to sweep leaves and limbs off the slides before retracting them. Once I installed slide covers on my slides, I don't believe I've ever used the ladder "when camping". Honestly, like NH_Bulldog, I can't remember the last time I dragged the ladder of of the storage bay except to rearrange things or to clean out the storage areas. We just don't use the ladder when camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
meaz93*

Yeah....those ladders look good on the rig and all, but man are they really unsafe for a 230# 6' 3" guy-lol
Last year around August I decided to give the top; AC units, all vents, caulking , etc ..a little inspection.
I go up the ladder ever so gently, and I can tell you that... even then I was a pinch leary as it didn't seem to be all that secure.
Long story short....coming down I missed the last 3-4 steps above the rear bumper ( I don't even know how I managed that?!>really ).
I ended up sort of twisted on the concrete lot of my business ( like a crime scene photo...holy crap )> I looked around like someone had pushed me off?[emoji15]
NO.....nobody saw me face plant, and LUCKLY I broke no bones.
Yes I was a pinch sore.
Sooooo we use a nice aluminium ladder these days[emoji15]
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #9
Lettikka

Yep. I'm sold. No holes in the new rig for me. The collapsible ladder is on its way. Thanks guys.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I will confirm you made a wise choice. The ladders in my experience are only a problem and I use a telescoping ladder similar to John's (Lion Ladder) if I need to get on the roof (and I have a ladder on the trailer). With my travel trailers with slides I carried a 7', fixed length, collapsible ladder to clean the slides. With the current trailer and slide toppers I haven't had to use the telescoping one yet but I still carry it. ??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #11
wrvond

I specifically ordered my last TT without a ladder because I wanted to minimize the number of roof penetrations. Having to use a ladder at home to get on the roof sometimes felt inconvenient, but I never felt a lack while out camping. My new camper was purchased off the lot and comes with a ladder so the decision was made for me this time. Still, a folding fiberglass ladder feels more secure to climb on so I’ll probably stick with that.
I’ve noticed several new units with stickers on the back wall that say “walkable roof” and “ladder ready”. If yours has those stickers you’re in a position to go without for a while and decide if you really want one or not. Once a ladder is installed, you’re stuck with it.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #12
NH_Bulldog

For added storage you could try the Lippert under chassis storage system. My brother added one to his camper due to a similar limited availability of storage and he’s happy with it.

https://www.campingworld.com/underch...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #13
Lettikka

Thanks, I was checking out similar systems tonight. Contemplating building something similar to that system.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #14
pdaniel

This is an issue I have with all RV manufacturers-deleting items regardless of what their own literature states.
Fine print says the manufacturer has the right to change specs and features anytime.
My former Keystone Cougar supposedly had the Cougar Camp connect. Dealer said it was installed and gave me a remote.
Nope. Not installed but included in the price.
Dealer and Keystone weren’t much help so I gave up.
It would have been nice if Keystone had provided a build sheet as me competitor brand did for my current 5th wheel.
Leaves me with piece of mind that what was in the sales brochure was in fact installed.

And, the Cougar literature said a ladder was included.
No ladder and no explanation.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #15
Lettikka

That is exactly what happened to me. Rather than sour the whole experience I am also going to let it go. Based on the advise and opinions here on the rear ladder I can take some solace in the fact that there are strong opinions that I am better off without it. That doesn't mean that it wasn't a dirty trick though.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #16
bobbecky

One safety issue with those collapsible ladders, and this is from personal experience. Be very careful using one on wet pavement. I had our ladder leaning against the front of a small 5er we had to caulk a leaking spot on the roof and the feet of the ladder just slid out from under me and my head just missed slamming onto the bumper of the truck. The feet on these ladders are not rubber, but are a hard plastic that doesn't grip very well. Also be careful when collapsing them as you can really pinch your hands.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #17
Bandit12

FWIW, My 2021 27SABWE came with a ladder on the back and I really wish it didn't. The bottom rung is so far off the ground, it's getting harder for this old man to make that first step. I've climbed it a few times but I'm not comfortable using it, especially making the transition from the ladder to the roof. For the record, I use to work on aircraft and climbed ladders and maintenance stands for years. I added one of the collapsible ladders like the one above to my always packed gear. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly large clean pass thru storage bay so that's not an issue. I feel much safer and more comfortable using the collapsible ladder anyway.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #18
Life-in-Him

Safe use

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
One safety issue with those collapsible ladders, and this is from personal experience. Be very careful using one on wet pavement. I had our ladder leaning against the front of a small 5er we had to caulk a leaking spot on the roof and the feet of the ladder just slid out from under me and my head just missed slamming onto the bumper of the truck. The feet on these ladders are not rubber, but are a hard plastic that doesn't grip very well. Also be careful when collapsing them as you can really pinch your hands.
We've had the collapsible ladder & a factory "climb if it you dare" factory leakable.
The collapsible one is far safer when someone stands @ the bottom & blocks the feet from sliding out. Just a result of years of using any ladder.
The other thing to be careful of is make sure each step latch is locked, the red tabs all the way down on ours.
Also collapse & extending them with 2 people is safer. Start collapsing @ the second ring up keeps things safer & always keep your hands on the outside.
How do I know? Don't ask, all wounds are now healed.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:38 PM   #19
MaDMaXX

Is it generally ok to climb on the roof and walk around for cleaning if it didn't come with a ladder?
MaDMaXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:26 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX View Post
Is it generally ok to climb on the roof and walk around for cleaning if it didn't come with a ladder?
Without knowing your year, make/model of trailer it is impossible to say.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder