Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
Stovebolt

2022 Keystone Cougar 25RDS

Hello from sunny (not) Michigan,

We ordered a 25RDS and I'm wondering if anyone out there who has one can give me any information on what to look for (good or bad) when it comes in at the dealer. I have mostly Forest River products with good and bad experiences on purchasing. It seems as time went of the quality of FR travel trailers was getting worse. I've been pulling campers for 50 years and the last two were poorly constructed. Each trip it was looking around at what came loose, fell off or fell apart. Previous trailers and 5th wheels I never had a problem. I'm hoping that this Keystone Cougar is somewhat better. One person on here told me to watch out for the sliding door between the bathroom and the bedroom as his wasn't anchored correctly. Anyone else have that or some other problems I might need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any information that might help.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Hello from sunny (not) Michigan,

We ordered a 25RDS and I'm wondering if anyone out there who has one can give me any information on what to look for (good or bad) when it comes in at the dealer. I have mostly Forest River products with good and bad experiences on purchasing. It seems as time went of the quality of FR travel trailers was getting worse. I've been pulling campers for 50 years and the last two were poorly constructed. Each trip it was looking around at what came loose, fell off or fell apart. Previous trailers and 5th wheels I never had a problem. I'm hoping that this Keystone Cougar is somewhat better. One person on here told me to watch out for the sliding door between the bathroom and the bedroom as his wasn't anchored correctly. Anyone else have that or some other problems I might need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any information that might help.

Can you hire an rv prepurchase inspector? Before you sign on the dotted line?
Old 02-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Can you hire an rv prepurchase inspector? Before you sign on the dotted line?
I did think about that and looked into it. There is only one in Michigan and he's a long ways from Auburn Hills, Michigan where this unit will be delivered to. I was hoping that there would be more than one person in all of Michigan. LOL.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
I did think about that and looked into it. There is only one in Michigan and he's a long ways from Auburn Hills, Michigan where this unit will be delivered to. I was hoping that there would be more than one person in all of Michigan. LOL.
“An ounce of prevention”

Wife’s cousin got one for his GD momentum precovid….he was happy he used one ..with all the issues from covid I’d probably get one now
.better to spend the extra time now then a bunch of time doing warranty work in the future

Maybe offer the inspector a extra $100 to work you into the schedule

I guess I should edit this ..if you are not experienced with rv’s or rv systems and don’t feel comfortable you can get a inspection..that’s why they got one on the GD
Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, "most people" don't see any benefit to hiring someone to inspect and identify issues with a "new RV".. Thinking is, it's new, and there's a warranty, so what could go wrong???? It's only after they sleep in it one night that they realize just how complicated and just how hard it is to manage "warranty repairs" on a "new, in perfect condition trailer"....

That's the reason there's only one in all of Michigan.....

You might take a look at this "pre delivery inspection (PDI) checklist": https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=5129 The link is in the first post and will take you to a fairly comprehensive document that points out most of the areas that need to be checked and verified as operational BEFORE taking delivery of the trailer...

Your best opportunity to get a problem free trailer is when the dealer is relying on your signature to get his money. During that time, you're in control.... As soon as you sign on the dotted line, he has your money and you no longer wield the "power of the purse"....

Take a look at the PDI inspection and use it as a guide to what you need to check before buying. It will likely be a 3-5 hour checkout and the dealer will be "rushing you to hurry up"... Remember, this is the "last time you'll be in control of the situation" so don't forfeit your power prematurely.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
Kaylodad

We picked up our 2022 25RDS about 3 weeks ago. Here's what we found during PDI - we used the pdf that John suggested above:

- 1 of the drawers in the kitchen didn't close all the way - dealer had to re-drill the catch, easy fix done during PDI
- Deadbolt on rear door doesn't close all the way - that will need to go back to dealer after "shake down trip"
- Trailer is winterized so we didn't check out plumbing

Made a service appointment for the day after our shake down trip (2 months in advance as that's how far out scheduling is) -- we'll take it in for anything else noted.
Kaylodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
Roper46

Quote:
Take a look at the PDI inspection and use it as a guide to what you need to check before buying. It will likely be a 3-5 hour checkout and the dealer will be "rushing you to hurry up"... Remember, this is the "last time you'll be in control of the situation" so don't forfeit your power prematurely.....
The PDI is most important ! As stated, after you sign you are no longer in control. Take your time with the PDI with the person the dealer assigns to do the "walk thru" with you.

I am on my second Cougar, the first being a travel trailer. If I had only known then what I know now. But even on my current 5er I purchased 08/2021, I took my time and still missed a slam latch that did not latch. Fixed it myself. But I do love the Cougar brand.

Again, take your time on the walk thru and use the PDI. And congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
jasin1

Post #6 If it’s winterized I’d unwinterize it to check everything and just winterize it again when your finished…there was a post this month from an unhappy person who bought a late model trailer and discovered a leaking fresh water tank..he and the dealer didn’t want or feel the need to dewinterize.

To the post above id check it out now before any camping trip is planned…it doesn’t cost much to winterize when your finished
Old 02-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Post #6 If it’s winterized I’d unwinterize it to check everything and just winterize it again when your finished…there was a post this month from an unhappy person who bought a late model trailer and discovered a leaking fresh water tank..he and the dealer didn’t want or feel the need to dewinterize.

To the post above id check it out now before any camping trip is planned…it doesn’t cost much to winterize when your finished
In addition, if you de-winterize, function check the plumbing, then re-winterize, you'll have the dealership to teach you "on site" how to winterize your trailer... Nothing more frustrating than getting a new trailer home, trying to winterize it and can't find the low point drains or the fresh water drain or the water pump.... USE THE DEALERSHIP TO YOUR ADVANTAGE !!! After all, trust me when I say that "you're paying dearly for their services" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

All goood advice above. I will only add this... Make sure your phone is fully charged and record the PDI. It will be too much for you to take in at the moment. Make sure they show you how EVERYTHING works and that it does work. Don't assume it works like your house. If the person conducting the PDI says "they don't know" then tell them to find someone that does know.

Good luck and enjoy!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #11
LnS

a few minor things, 1 major thing on our 2021 25RDS built in OCT20, bought in DEC20 and used for 15 trips totaling ~6300 towing miles so far, and all presented early on. Overall I was pleased with the relative initial quality as compared to other experiences here.
The most important one presented at the first washing, a leak in the fixed window in the kitchen to the right of the stove. Dealer took 3 days to correct that.
The screen doors needed latch adjustment to stay closed, diy
The kitchen back splash needed glue, diy
The under bed storage well wall popped out, 4 staples diy with 4 wide head wood screws left over from some other furniture build
It took 13 months for the first transverse ripples at the ribs to appear on the roof, all the edge seams are good/. Not sure of there is something to look at there before they appear?
The sliding door hangers need adjustment to sit square in the opening
Silicone needed in the outside shower door track to prevent water weeping out.
All minor quality touch issues except the window leak that likely occur on any model out of chance.
Good luck and have fun, we really like the floor plan, we were looking at the 26RBS prior but this was the winner for us.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #12
gregrc75

We bought our 2022 25RDS back in October and squeezed 5 trips in before winterizing.
The only thing we noticed at the dealer during the PDI was the kitchen and dinette heat ducts weren’t attached to the furnace. The dealer reattached them for us while we were doing the paperwork.
After we brought it home we also had the leaking shower track issue. I sealed that up.
We have not had any issues with the sliding doors.
The front windshield is awesome, but can be drafty and condense in cold weather. I made a removable insulated insert to solve that.
We love the camper, it feels solid, roomy, and the windows are great. Would buy it again in a heartbeat! (we downsized from a larger 36’ trailer).

Oh…edit…the black tank flush fitting was backwards and seems to be common for this model. I was able to reverse it in about 60 seconds. I just unscrewed it and reattached. It is located under the bathroom sink.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnS View Post
a few minor things, 1 major thing on our 2021 25RDS built in OCT20, bought in DEC20 and used for 15 trips totaling ~6300 towing miles so far, and all presented early on. Overall I was pleased with the relative initial quality as compared to other experiences here.
The most important one presented at the first washing, a leak in the fixed window in the kitchen to the right of the stove. Dealer took 3 days to correct that.
The screen doors needed latch adjustment to stay closed, diy
The kitchen back splash needed glue, diy
The under bed storage well wall popped out, 4 staples diy with 4 wide head wood screws left over from some other furniture build
It took 13 months for the first transverse ripples at the ribs to appear on the roof, all the edge seams are good/. Not sure of there is something to look at there before they appear?
The sliding door hangers need adjustment to sit square in the opening
Silicone needed in the outside shower door track to prevent water weeping out.
All minor quality touch issues except the window leak that likely occur on any model out of chance.
Good luck and have fun, we really like the floor plan, we were looking at the 26RBS prior but this was the winner for us.
Thank you. Funny thing our first choice was 26RBS but like you said this one was the winner for us too.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #14
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
We bought our 2022 25RDS back in October and squeezed 5 trips in before winterizing.
The only thing we noticed at the dealer during the PDI was the kitchen and dinette heat ducts weren’t attached to the furnace. The dealer reattached them for us while we were doing the paperwork.
After we brought it home we also had the leaking shower track issue. I sealed that up.
We have not had any issues with the sliding doors.
The front windshield is awesome, but can be drafty and condense in cold weather. I made a removable insulated insert to solve that.
We love the camper, it feels solid, roomy, and the windows are great. Would buy it again in a heartbeat! (we downsized from a larger 36’ trailer).

Oh…edit…the black tank flush fitting was backwards and seems to be common for this model. I was able to reverse it in about 60 seconds. I just unscrewed it and reattached. It is located under the bathroom sink.
Thanks for the info. We downsized from a larger TT also.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
jawsmon

I've had lots of different RVs during the past 50+ years. Everyone of them needed something repaired at time of purchase. The "Power of the Purse" speaks loudly once you've setting on 'the one'. Insist on dewinterizing if necessary to complete a thorough functional check of 'ALL' systems. Once you tow it off the lot then you are pretty much on your own.
One exception to this is when you are dealing with a very upstanding dealer who has an exceptional reputation. Then you may agree (in writing) to check things out during a shake down weekend. I like to go to a nearby campground for the first outing. If anything goes terribly wrong I can easily go home.

Happy RVing
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #16
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmon View Post
I've had lots of different RVs during the past 50+ years. Everyone of them needed something repaired at time of purchase. The "Power of the Purse" speaks loudly once you've setting on 'the one'. Insist on dewinterizing if necessary to complete a thorough functional check of 'ALL' systems. Once you tow it off the lot then you are pretty much on your own.
One exception to this is when you are dealing with a very upstanding dealer who has an exceptional reputation. Then you may agree (in writing) to check things out during a shake down weekend. I like to go to a nearby campground for the first outing. If anything goes terribly wrong I can easily go home.

Happy RVing
I've been pulling travel trailers and 5th wheels myself for well over 50 years. And we always do a shake down cruise. The best part is I have enough property and can plug into my outbuilding to do a home camping first to make sure everything works and then do a short trip and see what falls off. LOL. Believe it or not, the last trailer we bought brand new, they went through the run down and the guy was showing us where the vent to the stove was on the back of the unit, that little door fell off and he said we'll take care of that. They didn't, it was missing when I went to pick it up. I went back inside and showed them what they didn't do. They fixed it. Thanks for your reply.

Happy Camping.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:58 AM   #17
adm1949

Purchased New 25RDS

We purchased a 2022 25RDS last September. Loved the floor plan. Here are some issues we have had.
1. The first time I raised the dinette table, the latch broke. Dealer ordered a new table base and it is now fixed.
2. Screen door to the living area needed adjusting. Did that myself.
3. The plastic wall molding in the doorway from kitchen to bath came off. Fixed that with double sided gorilla tape.
4. A screw started coming up under the linoleum in the kitchen area. It's a pretty simple fix but I wanted the dealer to fix it since the trailer is new. This fix took 6 weeks. I could have done it myself in 10 minutes. The dealer had to get the okay for warranty work from Keystone. That took several weeks "due to holidays".
5. I've had to reset the InCommand system a couple of times. Everything worked except the lights in the living area. After reset everything works fine.

Other than those things it's great. We kept our 6 volt batteries from our old trailer. We added shades to the doors and some command hooks. I have to use a cpap so I switched the usb ports on my side of the bed out for a combination 12volt receptacle with 2 usb ports. Works great.

We really like the room in the living area and the large dinette. When we're camping with friends we pretty much have a party in our trailer.
adm1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #18
Pharphr

Where did you get the replacement plug for your cpap socket?
Changed to a queen size bed
Lots of other little mods
Tow vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 v8
Pharphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:07 AM   #19
adm1949

12V Receptacle

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to install. I did have to use a hole saw to make room for the additional plug.
adm1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #20
G0Faster

Our 2022 model was built on 9/7/2021. We picked it up from the Camping World in New Port Richey, FL on 9/21/2021. We didn't find any issues on the walk through, but have found a few issues since then.
  • The hole for the outlet above the TV was cut too large and there is only one screw holding the outlet in place. Camping World will address this on 3/2/22 when the new microwave (see below) is installed.
  • It is very difficult to open the microwave door. It takes numerous attempts pushing the button to get it to open. Camping World ordered a new microwave in November. It will be installed on 3/2/22.
  • The SolarFlex 200 system was not working. Camping World determined that the solar panel was wired backwards at the Giggy Box and fixed it.
  • The black tank flush system does not work. No water flows into the tank. I assume it's the back-flow device under the bathroom sink, but I'm letting Camping World diagnose it when the microwave is replaced on 3/2/22.
  • The black and gray tank drain connection for the bathroom is bolted to the frame. The gray tank drain connection for the kitchen is not. The hanger is there (looks similar to an automotive muffler hanger), but it was not bolted to the frame. Will address this with Camping World during our 3/2/22 microwave replacement.
  • The paneling on the wall between the Theater Seat and the refrigerator has started bowing out near the floor. Will address this with Camping World during our 3/2/22 microwave replacement.
  • The inside molding (decorative) around the rear door is bowing out on the rear side. It looks like they skipped a nail or didn't apply enough glue. Will address this with Camping World during our 3/2/22 microwave replacement.
  • The Keystone marketing documents for the SolarFlex 200 system indicate there should be two batteries. Camping World installed a single Interstate SRM-24. I didn't catch this at the time. If your dealer installs a single battery, you might want to push the issue. It's not a huge deal to me because had I pushed it, I'd probably have two SRM-24 batteries to get rid of. I'm still deciding whether to go with two 6 Volt deep cycles or go Lithium.
We consider all of these issues fairly minor. We are very happy with our first new camper purchase.

Tags
cougar, keystone