Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
bikemechanic53

Buying a 2016 Carbon 387. What should I know?

I'm in the process of buying a 2016 Carbon 387 toy hauler. I currently have an older KZ toy hauler, so am familiar with RV systems. But have never owned a Keystone.

I've gone over it superficially. Will look in detail next Wed. What should I check that may be specific to Keystone, the Carbons, or this model ( 387 has a 17' garage and Happijac bed lifts)?

Issues around structure weaknesses? Water tank, waste tank problems?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom
bikemechanic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
travelin texans

At the displeasure of a couple other members I'd have ask what your tow vehicle is for a 19k GVWR toy hauler, hopefully a 1 ton dually.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
bikemechanic53

Yes. Dodge RAM 3500 diesel. 6.7L engine. Manual 6 speed trans. 4WD. It's been pulling my current 17,000' toy hauler around the west for the past 6 years.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemechanic53 View Post
Yes. Dodge RAM 3500 diesel. 6.7L engine. Manual 6 speed trans. 4WD. It's been pulling my current 17,000' toy hauler around the west for the past 6 years.
Good deal! Got that out of the way!
If you'd go to the "user CP" above, drop down to "edit signature", add your rv year, make, model as well as your tow vehicle, with pictures of both is desired, then down to the bottom to "save changes", this will add context to any future questions you may have.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
bikemechanic53

Done. Although I've probably forgotten some stuff.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Done. Although I've probably forgotten some stuff.
Your signature didn’t show up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #7
bikemechanic53

Strange. It shows up for me when I look at my profile. Maybe I did something wrong. I'll try again.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

It's on there now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
bikemechanic53

2016 Carbon problems I should lookout for?

Does anyone have any advice for me when I go through the final inspection of the Carbon 387 at the dealers before I drive off with it?
Old 01-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
Laredo Tugger

Just do your homework as for reviews on that model, manufacture recalls and overall
customer satisfaction .
Being a used trailer from a dealer I am not sure what liberty they will give you for inspection.
You sound familiar with RV construction and systems, so just do your best to make sure everything works.
On the menu page of this forum you will find information about a PDI ( pre delivery inspection) list. It should give you a check list and hopefully nothing gets missed.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
bikemechanic53

I've done as much checking as I can. The dealer has their own 'signature inspection' program. I don't know if that is worth anything or not. They may 'inspect' it, but they don't say they will fix anything they find that doesn't work. I'll see Wed.

Thanks for your ideas on this.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:27 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice for me when I go through the final inspection of the Carbon 387 at the dealers before I drive off with it?
Make them show you EVERYTHING works.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

My dear ol' daddy used to tell me that while the cashier counted your change always best for you to count it as well. If you have owned a toy hauler, the KZ and Keystone are essentially constructed by the same type folk up in Indiana and will be subject to the same type issues. Your toy hauler has most of the basics the same... appliances, plumbing, electrical, etc. Get up on the roof and check to see when it appears to have been resealed. Generally, water penetration is the key killer of any RV. I never trust anyone selling me a vehicle even if they do a superdooper inspection. As Ronny once said, "Trust but verify".

You a motorcycle mechanic? I rebuild bike carburetors for a living (last 16 years). I used to do some wrenching but am too old to fiddle with bike mechanics these days. Working at a bench is a lot less for a geezer like me. Google my username sometime to find my website.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #14
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Make them show you EVERYTHING works.
A good thought, but this is an RV dealer we're talking about. If it didn't work when it came in, it isn't going to work when they push it out. Their 'inspection guarantee' is only about inspecting everything. No written statements about actually fixing anything.

So I expect to repair/replace whatever needs it after I pick it up. I was mainly interested in questions about known structural problems leading to body failure and/or leaks.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:46 AM   #15
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My dear ol' daddy used to tell me that while the cashier counted your change always best for you to count it as well. If you have owned a toy hauler, the KZ and Keystone are essentially constructed by the same type folk up in Indiana and will be subject to the same type issues. Your toy hauler has most of the basics the same... appliances, plumbing, electrical, etc. Get up on the roof and check to see when it appears to have been resealed. Generally, water penetration is the key killer of any RV. I never trust anyone selling me a vehicle even if they do a superdooper inspection. As Ronny once said, "Trust but verify".

You a motorcycle mechanic? I rebuild bike carburetors for a living (last 16 years). I used to do some wrenching but am too old to fiddle with bike mechanics these days. Working at a bench is a lot less for a geezer like me. Google my username sometime to find my website.
I agree. Always verify, believe only actions, never words.

My handle referred to bicycles, even though I spend most of my time on motorcycles these days. I do wrench on the motos, with limited success.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
A good thought, but this is an RV dealer we're talking about. If it didn't work when it came in, it isn't going to work when they push it out. Their 'inspection guarantee' is only about inspecting everything. No written statements about actually fixing anything.

So I expect to repair/replace whatever needs it after I pick it up. I was mainly interested in questions about known structural problems leading to body failure and/or leaks.
I understand what your saying, but I would want to know what I have to fix before I take it home. I’ve seen dealers sell NEW units with nothing working after they assured the buyer it all worked. IMO an inspection should include results.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

This will go back to the inspection and guarantee you referenced from the dealer. "Known" issues with frames, body and "leaks" aren't really a model specific type of issue. Those things generally come from the use/abuse of an owner so would be specific to the trailer you are looking at and depend on your and the dealer's inspections. This is not to say that some individual RVs from any model line can come from the factory with some kind of major flaw but again that is specific to that individual trailer not the entire brand/model.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:43 AM   #18
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Good luck on your new purchase.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:08 AM   #19
dutchmensport

Considering you already own a toy hauler, I think you are in a better position to answer your own question based on the experience you've had with your current camper. Consider everything that went wrong with your current camper over the years and look for those same things on your new one.

I don't think Keystone has any other "unique" deficiencies that any other brand may have. And considering you are purchasing a used one, means the original 1 year warranty and 3 year frame warranty is probably expired.

One thing is certain, you absolutely cannot believe or trust the RV dealership. They will do anything to sell, hide and cover problems, and divert attention away from problems you may see hoping you'll get caught up in the "glitz" of the rest of the camper and then you walk away with some real problems, no warranties, and some major repair bills. Bottom line .... inspect everything .... yourself. Crawl under it, climb on top of it, dismantle anything you can and look behind it. ABSOLUTELY insist the RV dealership run the water, both attached garden hose and via the water pump. Have them run the furnace, water heater (both gas and electric), and the refrigerator just better be cold when you open the door, or you sit around and wait, or come back tomorrow when it IS finally cold.... and don't budge.

I think the biggest thing to look for with any camper are the tires (china bombs or not, check the tires, and most likely, as soon as you take delivery, get new tires you can trust). And second, check the roof with a magnifying glass. Seams, caulking, and look for nails popping through or separation of the plywood on the roof.

Basically, use your head, use your past experience and knowledge, and don't use the word of the dealer. Trust them NOT.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:18 AM   #20
jasin1

I’d look at the front bedroom slide and the exterior walls that surround it..there has been posts in the past about exterior walls with a crack that need to have an extensive repair and welding done on the structure framing to correct it.Not really model specific but I’d look

…I’d also look at the wear pattern on the tires to make sure no axle issues
I’d look at the slide cables and run everything

Id look for signs of water stains or water in the window frame on interior side of windows and skylights
( looked at a brand new cougar that was leaking at window frame and running down under fridge….floor was starting to deteriorate)

Lastly I’d check out as best as I could the onboard gas tank …maybe bring a few gallons of gas and try out the pump

If you find any issues I’d get a firm repair date before I sign

Good luck and welcome