Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2022, 11:03 PM   #1
alku1

Help: delaminated roof?! 2020 Keystone cougar

Hi,

We just got an inspection done for a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS (price 35'500). The trailer was stored outside, private seller. (almost) Everything looks great except some minor things. However there is one topic where Im really unsure about:
Delamination on the roof (see attached): It looks like that along the "fold"? the upper layer of the roof is bubbling up along the overlap of the roof panels. Sorry if Im not usign the proper terms. How bad is this?
The inspector says there is no sign of water damage as such. He believes this is a manufacturing issue. However there is nothing to fix it besides having the whole roof redone.

We are checking with the seller if they still have extended warranty, but Im curious what you guys think.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6317687-94CD-4A2A-BA4B-F0BFA5155C30.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	38060  
alku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:23 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off no pictures are attached, but if the membrane is bubbling up that is an issue that needs to be addressed. Can you post pics?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alku1 View Post
Hi,

We just got an inspection done for a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS (price 35'500). The trailer was stored outside, private seller. (almost) Everything looks great except some minor things. However there is one topic where Im really unsure about:
Delamination on the roof (see attached): It looks like that along the "fold"? the upper layer of the roof is bubbling up along the overlap of the roof panels. Sorry if Im not usign the proper terms. How bad is this?
The inspector says there is no sign of water damage as such. He believes this is a manufacturing issue. However there is nothing to fix it besides having the whole roof redone.

We are checking with the seller if they still have extended warranty, but Im curious what you guys think.

Thanks!
To attach a pic, go ADVANCED and then MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Brings up a file explorer box and you can select the image you wish.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:08 AM   #4
alku1

Oops sorry!
I added a picture to the original post :-)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:16 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Oops sorry!
I added a picture to the original post :-)
This isn't delamination. It is the roof material membrane has come loose along a seam in the underlayment. This has come up previously and I doubt you will get the roof material manufacturer to honor this issue as a warranty item much less Keystone or a dealer. Seems to me it will be cosmetic will be the answer. If you are not happy with this material coming loose at a seam, suggest you walk away from the purchase. Good luck and be happy you had the sense to have the inspection done.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Others will chime in I'm sure but here's my 2 cents worth;

The asking price is right about avg. retail (low) for that year/model of trailer. That roof looks like no one has taken care of it since the unit was made. The inspector may or may not have found any evidence of water intrusion but it doesn't mean it isn't there to some degree. Can't tell from the picture clearly but I would think the sealing along the edges, front and rear would be suspect as well.

Just guessing but the trailer looks like the owner was one of the "buy it and forget it" type of folks - something that does not bode well for an RV. I've never owned a trailer that had a roof that looked like that even if they were several years old. I do however clean and treat the roof at least once yearly.

Bottom line for me; I don't buy used anything but if I did and I was looking at that trailer I would inspect that roof closely first hand. We've seen owners with roof material like that quite a few times on this and other forums, it is considered cosmetic in virtually all the cases as I recall. IF that material hasn't dried and cracked and IF the sealant on the sides, front and rear is in good shape and IF the rest of the trailer was in super condition (including tires) I would offer 30k or so and go from there - maybe there is a happy middle ground for both of you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

So now I see the pic. As stated it’s not delamination, it’s adhesive failure. As long as the membrane is intact, your going to have a very steep climb to get anybody to replace it under any type of warranty. You might want to think about walking away.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
alku1

Hey folks,

Thank you for your feedback! The last days have been really intense, researching, reviewing feedback here and weighting the pros' and con's. Eventually, we decided yesterday to pull the trigger and swallow the bitter pill.

We have looked at many TT/5ths inspected some and realized that we rather take something where we know what we are getting into, than going on and paying for inspections. Fingers crossed!

You will probably see us posting much more in the weeks to come ;-)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:56 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I hope it works out for you. We are here for you if you have any questions.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the purchase! I would recommend a thorough cleaning, inspection and then sealing on that new roof (edges, sides and roof material). Hopefully the inspection reveals nothing more than some sealing required and you can begin enjoying the RV. Ask away with questions and someone will help I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:38 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Hey folks,

Thank you for your feedback! The last days have been really intense, researching, reviewing feedback here and weighting the pros' and con's. Eventually, we decided yesterday to pull the trigger and swallow the bitter pill.

We have looked at many TT/5ths inspected some and realized that we rather take something where we know what we are getting into, than going on and paying for inspections. Fingers crossed!

You will probably see us posting much more in the weeks to come ;-)
It will be easier to answer questions if you add a signature to your posts containing year, make and model of camper and tow vehicle. You can make a signature under the UserCP at the top/left of every page. Remember to save it. Also, are you in Munich Germany?
Old 01-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Is there an actual seam there or is it just the adhesive failing?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Woody brings up a good point. When the trailer left the factory, the roof was a "ONE PIECE, SEAMLESS ROOF"... If the bubbled up roof membrane in your photo has any "seams or cut/glued back" sections, then it is NOT what left the factory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #14
alku1

Thanks everyone form the hospitality! I will definitely open some thread about my ideas to improve the rig (solar, tires, ...).

@wiredgeorge: good point! Will do so now since we actually have an RV
Yes, Munich Germany. Wwe are goign to have boots on the ground as of early March

I will check whether its a seam or not in that area before we seal everything up.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #15
Bob Landry

Personally, I would have walked away from any type of roof problems. I just had mine replaced on my 5ver because of a low hanging limb. Price was around $13K. Thank God for insurance. Good luck with yours.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #16
chuckt2

I'm not an expert on RV roofs, however most of them are TPO, a product used in commercial roofs. To get a second opinion, check with a local roofer who installs TPO.
The seams are heat welded together. If the seam is OK, the adhesive underneath has come loose. This is a simple fix on a commercial roof. Again, get a second opinion as to the extent of the problem. It might not be that bad.
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Personally, I would have walked away from any type of roof problems. I just had mine replaced on my 5ver because of a low hanging limb. Price was around $13K. Thank God for insurance. Good luck with yours.
Wow!
For that kind of $$ I'd have had the insurance pay for a RV Armor or Flex Armor roof! They are a sprayed on roof guaranteed for the life of the rv, warranty is transferable & in some cases they come to you for the install.
I haven't priced it for a while, but the last I checked they charged by the linear foot, don't recall per ft price, but I'm quite sure for your 30'er it would not been anywhere near $13k.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Wow!
For that kind of $$ I'd have had the insurance pay for a RV Armor or Flex Armor roof! They are a sprayed on roof guaranteed for the life of the rv, warranty is transferable & in some cases they come to you for the install.
I haven't priced it for a while, but the last I checked they charged by the linear foot, don't recall per ft price, but I'm quite sure for your 30'er it would not been anywhere near $13k.
My RV-Armor roof cost under $5K and as mentioned, it was priced by the linear foot; I have a 28' roof. It is a lifetime fully transferable warranty product. I used RV-Armor because they come to where you are parked. Flex Armor is also a fine product and the local installer to Austin is in Bertram. You take to him and he applies the product at his location. That product also has a very good warranty. I priced with them and they would price match RV-Armor. The local repair shop wanted about $5K to install a new rubber roof. There is a company in San Antonio that installs an RV specific roof coating made by Rhino Liner (I think that is what it is called) and they were quite a bit more but no where near $13K. This is as of about 3 years ago. The price for RV-Armor is now $165 a linear foot. My roof was paid for by the insurance company.,

Tags
cougar, keystone, roof