Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Outbackmel

Tombstone Arizona

1800 miles from Atlanta and all is well in Tombstone. 70 degree days and low 40's at night. Staying here at STAMPEDE RV for 3 nights on our journey to Scottsdale to sit in the sun for Feb and March. Stampede is located 2 blocks from OK CORRAL. Ate last night at CRYSTAL PALACE SALOON where Wyatt Earp had his office upstairs. COOL! Got down to 28 one night in Texas; solid ice on the ground water...we were good.

2011 Outback 5er, 36ft, pulls like a dream behind the 2008 Dodge Big Horn 2500 HD diesel. 10 MPG at 64 mph.

Took route 20 through Texas, merged with 10 and up through Las Cruces and down to Tombstone. Shreveport, LA was H***! Rt 20 through town almost shook us apart. If you ever go there, suggest taking the bypass.

Thank goodness, I made a change on the bike rack. Put one on a ladder rack and thing has not moved...nada! Took one smaller bike; removed front wheel and placed in truck bed; tarped and locked down. Glad I made this choice.

Lot's of Keystones on the road. NONE broken down. More on our journey to snowbird land soon...even met some nice RV folks from Canada along the way.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds like a great trip so far, I'm sure you'll have a great time "out west"

As for Shreveport, the bypass isn't any better than I 20 through town. It all "STINKS" !!!!! Best way through that part of Louisiana is to travel slowly, or decide to shake, rattle and roll !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Movin' on

Good for you! Happy camping in "Snowbird Land".

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
1800 miles from Atlanta and all is well in Tombstone. 70 degree days and low 40's at night. Staying here at STAMPEDE RV for 3 nights on our journey to Scottsdale to sit in the sun for Feb and March. Stampede is located 2 blocks from OK CORRAL. Ate last night at CRYSTAL PALACE SALOON where Wyatt Earp had his office upstairs. COOL! Got down to 28 one night in Texas; solid ice on the ground water...we were good.

2011 Outback 5er, 36ft, pulls like a dream behind the 2008 Dodge Big Horn 2500 HD diesel. 10 MPG at 64 mph.

Took route 20 through Texas, merged with 10 and up through Las Cruces and down to Tombstone. Shreveport, LA was H***! Rt 20 through town almost shook us apart. If you ever go there, suggest taking the bypass.

Thank goodness, I made a change on the bike rack. Put one on a ladder rack and thing has not moved...nada! Took one smaller bike; removed front wheel and placed in truck bed; tarped and locked down. Glad I made this choice.

Lot's of Keystones on the road. NONE broken down. More on our journey to snowbird land soon...even met some nice RV folks from Canada along the way.
Had lunch at the bar of the Crystal Palace a couple years back. The Mrs. & I really enjoyed Tombstone, a step back in time!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Tombstone

Liked it so much we stayed an extra day even though we were booked in Scottsdale area beginning today. Worth paying the extra day's rent for sure. Lot's of tourists even on a week day. Did all of the tourist stuff as well.

For "nature" lovers, there was a MOUNTAIN LION in the OK Corral last night. We are parked 1/4 mile south on the same road. HEY, sending the wifey out with the garbage later tonight. I'll fake tired feet or something

Crystal Palace is amazing. Even though the "bar" is not original, it was reproduced from original blue prints found in the saloon. It HAS to be seen to imagine the workmanship that went into the original bar.

On Shreveport, just how da** slow do you have to go? Like 20 in a 60mph zone WOW...I am unimpressed and glad we do not deal with that on a daily basis.. Went through Dallas/Ft Worth at 5:15pm on I20 and sailed through at 60 mph without a hiccup. LA could use some road re-building projects....don't think that will happen anytime soon

Think we'll try to avoid that stretch....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
C1v1leng

It took my DW several days to recover from back pain from the trip through LA on I-20 I tried to keep the negative g's down on the hitch by going slow, but like you say, there is no speed.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote