Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #41
German Shepherd Guy

[QUOTE=locomech;480695]It was 1971 and I just returned to the world from over two years in Southeast Asia. I found myself in the desert at Luke AFB just outside Phoenix, AZ. I needed something to get me to town and I wasn't too picky at the time. I bought a brand new '71 Buick Opal GT. What a pos excuse of a car. I thought because it was German made it had to be somewhat reliable, boy was I mistaken. It was an automatic 4 cylinder with factory air conditioning that would overheat the engine if not traveling at least 50 mph. In Phoenix reliable air conditioning is a must.

I too was in Phoenix in 1971 ALSO driving an Opel. Mine was a Kadett. Was a great vehicle, though with no air conditioning. Would take me anywhere in the Superstition Mtns. as it was so light.I traveled all across Texas with it with my horse shoeing rig in it. Worked my way across Texas and NM shoeing and trimming horses at all the small ranches who would generally put me up and feed me too. Almost forgot about that car till you mentioned the Opels. Not a great car but incredible memories. So I vote for Opel as BEST CAR.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #42
locomech

I too was in Phoenix in 1971 ALSO driving an Opel. Mine was a Kadett. Was a great vehicle, though with no air conditioning. Would take me anywhere in the Superstition Mtns. as it was so light.I traveled all across Texas with it with my horse shoeing rig in it. Worked my way across Texas and NM shoeing and trimming horses at all the small ranches who would generally put me up and feed me too. Almost forgot about that car till you mentioned the Opels. Not a great car but incredible memories. So I vote for Opel as BEST CAR.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear the Opel worked out for you. They weren't bad looking little cars and the gas mileage wasn't bad, but mine was always having some kind of issue. I was on my way to the coast of California to do some scuba diving one weekend when I broke down somewhere in the desert around Quartsite, AZ. All the lights on the dash lit up and the engine stopped running. I coasted to the side of the road and thought I couldn't have picked a more desolate spot for this to happen. No one on the road to lend a hand.

I opened the hood and started to search for some obvious fault that I would be able to correct without needing a new part. I pulled the distributor cap off
and found a contact on the points set fell off. Digging around in my tool bag I found an old set of points that I was able to use to get back up and running. I gaped them with a piece of cardboard and was on my way. I don't have many good memories about the Opel, but I do about Phoenix.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote