Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #21
Bill-2020

On Oct 21st we lost our beloved little companion who loved the travels we took, sitting high on the center console/arm rest next to me and DW as we drove. She stole the hearts of all those she met. She loved the camper and loved traveling. I've never known a dog quite like her. Doubt I ever will.

Losing her broke our hearts and I'll be dammed if anything stops us from doing what she loved so much. Come hell or high fuel prices we leave for northern Georgia in a week for the holiday.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

It still amazing to me how folks will ask a specific question, get a specific answer(s) then want to strike out at the messenger(s). What do you seek, a "Oh yes you are so right, me too!"?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #23
notanlines

Eddie, I did the usual math for your trip to southern California. With your beast eating about 10 MPG your trip would have cost about $800 in fuel with very little driving in the mountains. Today, that same trip would cost about $1,020.00.
Your trip to Yellowstone is going to take you through almost solid mountains with your beast eating about 7 MPG. Guess what your fuel differential is....
exactly the same as the California trip.
Summer will be upon us and if you think there is a gas shortage now, and there isn't, how will you make it through to West Yellowstone?
Yes, we can be a tough group. But the majority here are realists. Some are real blunt, some are real rude, some are really wordy, I could go on and on. But you have to admit that for a grown man to cancel a perfectly good trip for the reasons you gave is pretty much unreal.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #24
Falcon67

I drive 40 miles on I-20 daily, same for the last 25 years here. From one town to another for work, and pretty much all over the area. I can say from direct observation that very few people - especially not those with diesels or other 1/2 ton to 1 ton trucks - changed their driving habits between $1.99 and $4+ fuel. People COMPLAIN about it, but they don't DO anything about it LOL. Trucks keep running 80+, nobody I know ran out and bought a beater Honda or anything like that. The person locally that complains about paying $3.20 I tell to go to QT or the Tye truck stop because on the edge of town it's $2.89. Stations in town have really jacked their prices for some reason. 5 miles can save a few $ if you have a big tank.

My daily driver was a F-350 DRW, averaged around 12.5. We spent more on fuel, but wasn't that much more. I didn't let it get too low because the local Iron Horse pumps shut off at $100. The new F-150 3.5 gets about 21, towing around 7 which is pretty much what we expected. Limits on trips are spare time/vacation hours available and not so much fuel costs.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
As a note... I plan on rolling into the grave with a 5th of good bourbon and a quarter, having spent my last dollar as I passed.
My kids were raised right and can take care of themselves.
Ain't that the truth. Our 34 yr old son told me how much he had in his 401k, his personal Edward D Jones, bank savings and checking. Hot damn, son you're catching the old man fast. His Edward D Jones lady told me she has never seen a man his age be so smart about saving. Makes you feel good...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #26
Sokcap48

We have already spent the kids inheritance. We are working on spending the Grandkids now.. my inheritance was a good work ethic and that is what I am passing down, they will be fine.
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #27
Juanitopablo

Sorprendido!!

Soy de Chile y he quedado gratamente sorprendido al leer los posteos a partir del tema planteado.
Quiero destacar la buena onda y el respeto de las multiples respuestas.
Aqui en Chile, con el pais en un estado de crispacion y polarizacion tremendos, lo hubieran tratado mal y se habrian burlado de el.
Los felicito de corazon por lo civilizados que son.......

Abrazos desde Chile
Juanitopablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanitopablo View Post
Soy de Chile y he quedado gratamente sorprendido al leer los posteos a partir del tema planteado.
Quiero destacar la buena onda y el respeto de las multiples respuestas.
Aqui en Chile, con el pais en un estado de crispacion y polarizacion tremendos, lo hubieran tratado mal y se habrian burlado de el.
Los felicito de corazon por lo civilizados que son.......

Abrazos desde Chile
Translation?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #29
Juanitopablo

from CHILE

I am from Chile and I was pleasantly surprised to read the posts based on the topic raised.
I want to highlight the good vibes and the respect of the multiple responses.
Here in Chile, with the country in a state of tremendous tension and polarization, they would have treated him badly and made fun of him.
I heartily congratulate you for how civilized you are ...

Hugs from Chile
Juanitopablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #30
LadyFaire

Before you do ANYTHING else, sit down with a pad and pencil and figure costs. The fuel vs. hotels and meals. Yes, the trip will cost you MORE than when you planned it, but will it cost more than the hotels and restaurants??

Our motorhome is NOT very fuel efficient. However, I would rather have my 'home' with me on a trip than to stay in strange surroundings - for which I would have to pay a lot of money. We travel with our 4 footed family members, and while you can find pet friendly hotels, the 'kids' aren't happy there. They bark at EVERY noise, because it is outside of their comfort zone (so, we never leave them unattended - which we CAN do in our coach). You can't fix your own meals in a hotel, and you just might bring home some freeloaders that were living in that hotel and bed. And, how much is that hotel and the meals out going to cost? I'd say probably more than the fuel would. We might try to find a different ROUTE that won't burn as much fuel, but we won't ditch our comfort for a few dollars. Just my 2 cents worth.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #31
MarvnMabel

Plan change

Nope! In fact, we are planning even more. Everyone knows if the fiver is in the front yard, there is a funeral. And even then it better be a pretty dear person to us! LOL. Adversely, we are just making every weekend next year a 3 day weekend to amortize the additional travel costs per day.
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #32
RVPP

Heading out the day after Christmas, good Lord willing NJ to Avon Park, Fl. Canceled our trip last winter due to Covid. Might not like the price of gas but I REALLY don't like winter in NJ.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #33
InkedMarie

We’re seasonal so to answer your question...doesn’t apply! If we weren’t seasonal, we would still go. Life is NOW...I’m sure all of us realized that when Covid hit. We aren’t promised tomorrow.

As far as replies you weren’t expecting....really? It’s the internet. You get all sorts of responses.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #34
Lindyn

Don't think gas/diesel prices will get back to 2020 price, until after 2024.

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #35
jamtracy

I live in northern California diesel is $5 a gallon.
We are not changing our plans. As someone else said we will cook more and go out less.
We have a 4 week trip to go to New Orleans in march and we plan on going.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #36
friz

"Nope, the cost of gas and the uncertainty of it if the supply chain spills over into energy issues, caused us to cancel."

That is so sad and disgusting, basically not America, the one I have lived in for 7 decades. It hurts that I now cross off the west coast of our beautiful country as somewhere to visit.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #37
LadyFaire

Back after obama was elected and the gas prices shot through the roof ... The cost of fabric (I sew a LOT!) doubled. Not kidding. The reasoning behind the increase? The cost of fuel was at fault - it cost more to run the machines, to run the vehicles, etc - EVERY facet of manufacture and distribution. "Oh, the prices will come back down when fuel isn't so expensive!" No. It didn't. In fact, we've just seen another MASSIVE price increase. The reason? Fuel costs are up. It is so disgusting! Especially when you consider that almost NONE of the fabric is manufactured in the USA anymore. All of the mills in the Carolinas and Virginia? Closed. All of them. I'm sure that there is a mill or two still open in some part of the US, but I don't know where they are. The fabric we get now is mostly from Pakistan, India and China, and is NOT colorfast - that means it 'bleeds' in the laundry - ruining any clothing of other colors that are in that load, and the color fades so fast it is pathetic. Outsourcing has ruined this country. Well, the politicians that are responsible for that, have ruined this country. It is so sad. I think that is one reason I refuse to bow down and quit doing what I want/need to do. Yes, my in town driving has been cut way back - we consolidate trips for groceries, etc. But TRAVEL? Nope. I refuse to fly. I will NOT stay in a hotel, and I have grandkids and gr'grands to visit. I'm GOING. I don't care what it costs.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:12 AM   #38
RickV

I wanted to add this, when we first started thinking about RVing over 10 years ago one thing we knewwas it was gonna cost $$$$. So we knew going in that there would be expenses and if we wanted to go for it we would have to accept that fact and we have. It is the same with any activity or hobby there are gonna be expenses. In the grand scheme of things a few hundred dollars isn't a deal breaker. You only go around once so you have to go for it.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:21 PM   #39
Charlie405

Fuel is a cost no matter how you look at it...

I take into account the price of fuel whenever we go on a trip. But then, add hotel charges, pet charges, food and eating out... I'm usually still up if I use twice as much fuel pulling the 5ver down.
Charlie405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:28 AM   #40
LHdream

I completely agree that you have to spend not only on fuel, there are many other things. And the prices of these things are going up as well.
LHdream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led