Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
GlampingFun510

2017 Impact 311 - New to us!

Hi! We joined the Keystone family over the weekend and couldnt be more excited.
We went from a 22ft shockwave bumper tow to an Impact 311 5er.

In the process of getting it all setup and cant wait for its first trip!
GlampingFun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the purchase of that Impact. What are you towing it with?

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
GlampingFun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the purchase of that Impact. What are you towing it with?

Take care!
Thanks Gary! Towing this with a 2019 Ford F250 Lariat.
Installed Air Lift 5000 Ultimate bags and a B&W Patriot slider since its a regular bed.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Texas Steve

That must be one heck of a F-250 to haul 16,500 pounds of toy hauler!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
GlampingFun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
That must be one heck of a F-250 to haul 16,500 pounds of toy hauler!
16,5 when fully loaded. just under 12K dry. Mostly used for moto track days and glamping, never have to fully fill the trailer, I am good.

Additionally, being mindful while driving with the trailer helps as well, I dont plan on being another statistic like some others rolling their trailers down the freeway.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlampingFun510 View Post
16,5 when fully loaded. ...

... I dont plan on being another statistic like some others rolling their trailers down the freeway.
Oh my! Please say, at least it's a dually?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
GlampingFun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Oh my! Please say, at least it's a dually?
No, its an SRW with the Air Lift 5000 ultimate setup.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
travelin texans

Famous last words;
"We'll never have it fully loaded"
"We only travel locally"
"We never have full tanks"
"I've added air bags, we're good now"
A perfect scenario to be one of those statistics!
Which mean too little truck & too much rv! That's a 16.5k lb rv with 3.5k lb pin weight on a truck with most likely less than 3k lb payload.
Good luck! Safe travels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
GlampingFun510

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Famous last words;
"We'll never have it fully loaded"
"We only travel locally"
"We never have full tanks"
"I've added air bags, we're good now"
A perfect scenario to be one of those statistics!
Which mean too little truck & too much rv! That's a 16.5k lb rv with 3.5k lb pin weight on a truck with most likely less than 3k lb payload.
Good luck! Safe travels!
Wow, thanks for the positive outlook.
Next time, do a little more research before you cast assumptions of " most likely" especially when you have never owned either the said trailer or tow vehicle please. Not trying to be rude, but its not necessary.

Now, for some fun filled facts:

trailer Pin weight: 2780
trailer dry weight: 11640

Truck Payload: 2,474 to 4,332 lbs stock without Air Bags

Thank you.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
notanlines

Dutch, never fear! Most of us caught that!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Next time, do a little more research before you cast assumptions of " most likely" especially when you have never owned either the said trailer or tow vehicle please. Not trying to be rude, but its not necessary.

Thank you.
Sorry there isn’t a payload Range for your particular truck, the GVWR and factory payload are listed on the stickers on the door. Likely closer to 2,474# if it is a diesel.
Air bags don’t increase payload they only level the truck.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #12
GlampingFun510

I swear you all couldn't be any more welcoming to a new member lol. I feel the love, really. Keep calm and carry on!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
Texas Steve

Sorry, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum! All we want is for you and everyone to be safe while pulling your trailer. I own a 2500 and am pretty much relegated to a bumper pull because every 5'er we want as a floorplan will put me way over the payload of my truck. There is lots of experienced folks on here that have tons more years that I do towing and I try to learn from them. Good luck and safe travels!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
markcee

Quote:
I swear you all couldn't be any more welcoming to a new member lol. I feel the love, really. Keep calm and carry on!
Hi Brandon....welcome to the forum!

No one is trying to be rude or unwelcoming....really. All this is being said in the interest of safety. Many here, myself included, have fallen into the trap of listening to a salesman or salesmen tell you that you have plenty of truck to tow (insert your favorite floorplan here) RV or have taken brochure weights/ratings as gospel.

That 2,780 pound brochure pin weight you reference is based on a totally empty trailer - no liquids, no batteries, no propane, no gear. It will be substantially heavier loaded up. Even modestly loaded you will likely be over 3k on the pin.

That 3k will come right of your truck's cargo carrying capacity (payload). Cargo carrying capacity is specific to every truck. It is the truck's curb weight subtracted from the manufacturer's established GVWR for the vehicle. Both of these values - for your truck - are listed on the two stickers on the driver's side door jamb. In addition to the pin weight, the weight of the hitch, all persons/pets in the vehicle and any other gear in the vehicle also count as payload. It adds up fast.

As to your truck's available payload, the figures you provided are a range for the F250 model line...not what your specific truck has. The amount of payload a particular F250 will have depends on things such as its cab configuration (crewcab, standard cab etc.), bed length, diesel or gas engine, 2WD or 4WD and option level (an XLT will be lighter than a King Ranch). Bottom line is the lighter the truck, the more payload.

Again, take a look at the yellow/black/white sticker on the door jam of your truck to see where you stand.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. Everyone is trying to help you understand the often confused numbers/capacity of tow vehichles. I'll try and use this analogy ... Let's say you're in a breakroom at work and someone new comed in for a cup of coffee. Setting on the counter is a container of drain cleaner. This "newbie " doesn’t know what it is and assumes it must be good for the coffee as it's setting there beside the creamer, french vanilla, and other flavorings. The drain cleaner has pictures of lemons on it so they pick it up and pour 8t in their coffee cup. Do you "warn them" about the potential danger or do you say "Enjoy your coffee and welcome to the team!"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Folks here are pretty welcoming but will raise the red flag when they see a new member in a dangerous towing situation. You are reading specs from some brochure or website. The "dry weight" of any camper is how it rolled off the line bare and with no battery, propane tanks or much of anything and the number is totally meaningless. As pointed out, when loaded you will be north of 16K lbs gross weight. The closest estimate for the pin weight is 23 percent of that 16K lbs. so you pin will be close to 3700 lbs. Add passengers, stuff in truck and bed, etc. and you have a 4000 payload. Now go out to your truck. How it is equipped (such as airbags) will not affect the payload but will help sag a bit. The payload sticker for your truck is on the driver door frame. Compare that number to the 4K lbs plus load. If you have doubts and want to be safe, perhaps head to some scales and weigh things. Airbags don't increase payload and their weight eats available payload. Nobody is being rude but you are taking offense at folks trying to point out the obvious safety issue.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #17
roadglide

Quote:
The 311 is nice size and you can squeeze into most National parks. The truck will be overloaded according to the numbers of the door sticker. I pulled mine with a 2013 2500 Duramax for three years with no problems or handling and stopping. Already have the 18 inch tires just make sure they are rated at 3600+ index load . My current truck and camper is squeezing all the numbers on the door jam even up to 25000 GVCW . That’s only with the buggy and Harley and loaded with 2 months of stuff for the AZ desert . Get 14 ply tire for the camper and find a cat scale .
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:

Thank you.
Didn't mean to be unwelcoming or rude!
Those "famous last words" I posted have been posted numerous times on here by folks that have been led astray by salesmen &/or brochures numbers that are totally unrealistic in the rv world. Dry weights & max tow weights for any truck are totally useless numbers when pairing a tow vehicle & RV, but those are the numbers every salesman will be quoting. And judging by the numbers you've quoted you are in that group as well.
The best way for you to prove to us, & yourself, that you're within the safe numbers of your F250 load up as if you're heading out with everyone/everything & head to the scales to weigh the pair & then the truck alone & compare those to the numbers posted on the door jamb of YOUR truck.
Our only concern is you & your families safety as well as ours if we're on the road together.
BTW! I've towed all kinds of trailers & RVs for over 40 years some having to be within DOT guidelines so I do know of what I speak.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:39 AM   #19
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:00 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:

Thank you.
We are a welcoming group, but we also try to educate. Many if not most of us have been in the same situation as you. You state towing with a 2019 Ford F250 Lariat, 10,000# max GVWR, also in 2019 the max GVWR of the F350 SRW was 11,500# keep that number in mind.
I will re-post your weights;
Dry Weight 11,640#
Payload Capacity 4,860#
GVWR 16,500#
Hitch Weight Dry 2,780#

If your F250 is a 4X4 Diesel you are likely at the low end of the payload spectrum, 2,474# so before you load a single item in your 5er you are exceeding your payload and GVWR. Now start adding passengers and tools and extra fuel (do you have an in bed tank?). Have you weighed your truck ready to tow yet.
You need to know your weights, even if you are within numbers, or exceeding you need to know.
My personal experience was I towed the 5er in my signature 2005 Copper Canyon 293 with a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500. I started out about 1,200# over GVWR, and ended up 1,700# over GVWR. Now we tow with a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4.
The 2001 did OK towing the 5er without bags, if I would have needed them, would have gotten a new truck right then.
What really ate at me was the fact I was 1,700# over the GVWR of 8,800#, I was fine on axle and tire ratings. We live in an era of "It Isn't MY Fault" and worried if I was involved in a crash not my fault, that a hungry lawyer would come after me for towing over my GVWR.

I have said this many times on this forum and others, The best feature of towing a 5er is also it's worst feature! That is their natural stability!
Fully loaded that TH is really in DRW territory. Many avoid getting a DRW for many reasons, it is too big, hard to park, etc. Well we daily drive our DRW as it is our only vehicle, and don't have too many places it won't fit.

Once again Welcome to the Forum, we are just concerned for your safety.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote