Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
falconatsea

2005 Keystone Everest 344J - new to me

Hey all... first off let me just say that this is my very first RV and it needs a TON of WORK. It was pretty much given to me and I am trying to get it back in running condition. Overall the bones are good and no leaks...but I have a laundry list of items that need to be replaced and it seems like every time I fix one thing another thing rears its ugly head. Some repairs are absolutely necessary... like the microwave, new tires, and the A/C. We also had to rip out ALL the carpet since it was all sun-faded and water damaged in spots so we also ripped out all the linoleum as well. We are going to replace it all with Laminated planking. Other things we are doing are what I consider niceties... upgrading all the 3in ceiling puck lights to LEDs, upgrading all the under-counter fluorescent lights to LED, and changing door/drawer hardware out.
As I said there are no leaks BUT nothing stops water from coming in when you leave a window open in the bedroom slide. The floor next to the head of the bed is destroyed and I am in the middle of ripping it out. Whoever built these things need to be taken out and beaten with their nail and staple guns. If they were getting paid by the staple/nail I am quite sure they are now millionaires because WOW.
I am sure once we get it refurbished it will be as good as new... but until then, I am going to be posting a LOT on this site asking a bazillion questions.
falconatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome!

You certainly have a bunch of things to fix on that Everest!

We have many folks on this forum who are quite knowledgeable and are happy to share when asked.

Good luck and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:36 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Perhaps to give your questions better context, go to the UserCP and add a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle. I will also caution you about using vinyl plank flooring. If you read the specs, it will give you a temperature range and if the camper gets too warm or cold, the vinyl planks will separate or buckle. Also be careful if replacing carpet with a solid floor as the slides will tend to gouge the floor when pulled in or out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Hello and welcome to the Keystone Everest Family. We purchased our 2003 363K Everest new and keep it 14 years. There is not much in repairs I can help you with because we made very few small ones. We did do a lot of upgrades and like you, I sure got hand blisters from pulling all those staples in the original cornices.

We were very lucky with our A/C. It was a 15K low profile Carrier and was still working good when we sold the unit.

I recommend checking the in-line 30 amp circuit breakers for the landing gear and slides. The 30 AMP ones will sometimes burn-out with power surges. I put in 50 AMP ones and never again had a problem.

Your 2005 may have had OE tire size ST235/80R16 LRD or LT235/85R16 LRE. With either of those sizes and load ranges you'll have problems. They just don't have enough load capacity reserves. Our 2003 had 32" axle spacing, center to center. The LT235/85R16 LRG tires WILL NOT work with that spacing.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:02 AM   #6
falconatsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Your 2005 may have had OE tire size ST235/80R16 LRD or LT235/85R16 LRE. With either of those sizes and load ranges you'll have problems. They just don't have enough load capacity reserves. Our 2003 had 32" axle spacing, center to center. The LT235/85R16 LRG tires WILL NOT work with that spacing.
You were correct. The RV did have LT235/85R16 Load Es on it... Although they looked brand new they had been sitting in the dirt for probably 10 years and I replaced them all with ST235/85R16 Load Fs and a 128 speed rating.

In reality, I just need it to make one trip from Maryland to Florida so I can use this RV as a rental at my brother's new Campground near Suwanee but I am not willing to cut corners so I put some nice tires on her. I am also not really sparing any expenses on the inside. Since its already run for 50amp power and the bedroom ceiling already is wired for an AC, I am going to put it in. The new microwave got here yesterday which was a major pain to find... Vented, over the range, with a stove light but has to fit into a 25in space??? Really? All the 12v halogen ceiling pucks and 12v under-counter fluorescent lighting are getting replaced with LED. All the carpet and vinyl flooring is out now and is going to be replaced with Laminate flooring.The sink has some rust and chipping along the edges so it is getting replaced. All the maintenance is getting done at the dealer on Oct 26th so we have a lot of work to do before then before we get stalled for the maintenance.

This is a LOT more work than I was anticipating when we first got it BUT it is going to almost look brand new when we are done with it.
Southern MD
falconatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't use vinyl plank flooring unless it's rated for use in a wide range of temperatures and humidity. If the camper is closed up and not used (a/c turned off) the interior temps and humidity will get very high.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Marshall brings up a good point. Suwanee is going to be humid year round so make sure whatever you put in there won't be affected by it unless you are going to run the AC all summer and a dehumidifier all winter. You don't want all that hard work (and money) to go to waste.

Use the RV as a rental at a campground in Suwanee??? Heck, I'd be staying in it - forget that rental business! Nice place and some good 'eatin in those parts.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone